Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Default Can I do it?

Here is a question for all of you experienced runners: CAN I DO IT?
I am VERY unfit, have never really do much exercise. I did a fair bit of hiking before I had my children but that is years ago...
For various reasons it is not practical for me to do any other "milder" exercise, I live far from any gym or Yoga classes etc. And I want to get fit.

I checked the c25k and I am thinking of starting it...perhaps take the "jogging" part really slow for the start, but do you really think I can do it? I have read that running is not the best way to start exercising at it is quite difficult and people often give up. Would you recommend it then or am I being unrealistic?
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm not a serious runner, but as someone who could barely run down the block at one point, I can tell you it just takes patience and dedication Don't be afraid to walk briskly instead of jogging or stop and walk for a time until you can work up to more. It can get frustrating, but you just need to be realistic with your expectations.

You can also do other exercises even though you can't join a gym. Strength training can be done with your bodyweight and that will help your running. I use myself as an example: I don't run with any regularity, but I do strength train and weight train. Whenever I decide to run I can easily do a couple of miles without breaking a sweat.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Honestly, I'd recommend working up to 30 minutes of brisk walking at least 3x per week before starting running. If you're already at that level (or equivalent on the elliptical or bike), then c25k is a good next step. It worked well for me several years ago, but I was already walking a lot.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Sure you can do it! Like you said, take it slow to start, don't worry if you can't do all of the jogging intervals, just replace them with more walking. I don't do the gym either, but I have recently started doing DVD workouts when I had to take a running break. I got two Jillian Michaels ones - Yoga Meltdown and 30-day Shred. I really like them and am already noticing results! Now that I am adding running back in, I will definitely keep them in the rotation.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

You can definitely do it! Just don't be hard on yourself if you can't last the entire interval(s) at first. If you have to work up to the C25K 1st week, that's OK! You will be surprised how fast your endurance builds!

I just started this journey (again) 2 days shy of 8 weeks ago. I worked out the first 2 weeks, then didn't for 3 weeks, and now have been working out consistently for the last 3 weeks (with no end in sight). I was so so so out of shape when I started. I can now run between 5 and 6 mph doing intervals of up to 3 minutes running 1 minute walking -- for an entire hour, or if I stick at 5mph I can run a whole mile without stopping. And that's really all from the last 3 weeks of my dedication to working out. YES YES YES you can do it. You just have to commit and not give up.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #6  

Thank you guys! It is really encouraging to hear about your experiences.
sontaikle I checked your story and WOW! I feel really inspired by what you have achieved, I hope I can do it too...or at least partially
Juliana I may add some DVD exercise too, you are right. I am however liking the idea of running 3 times a week more and more...it has nothing to do with being able to leave the house with screaming kids behind and have some time for myself, I swear lol
Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #7  

Lockitup thank you for sharing your experience. Franky I really can NOT imagine being able to do what you are doing, but I take your word that it will be possible I am going to try my first round on Wednesday and will let you know what this whale-shaped body thought about it )

Last edited by Ronja; 05-15-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #8  
say what?

You can do it for sure! I had health issues from age 10 to 16 so never got into exercise, and everytime I tried after that it just hurt. I thought I would NEVER be like "normal people" exercise wise. The few times that I did try to pick up running and was about to fall over at the end of my street I saw as proof of my body still not being healthy and me never getting anywhere. I was the person that at a party would go grab a chair because my legs got tired after 20minutes.

So, I started at absolutely ZERO last summer. I did the first 5 weeks of c25k, it was hard but really not that impossible. When in the first week I could not even run the whole minute the way it says I really could not see how I'd get to running 20minutes ever. Then I sort of dropped out of it because I moved and changed jobs but picked it back up in january, decided to go out on my own and ditch the c25k and now I just ran 7.8miles yesterday!

Long story short: yes, it's very possible. Even when you have zero exercise history like myself. And if you REALLY pace yourself, so don't run really fast, run at the pace that you can stick to for a whole minute - it is not gonna be that hard either. Goodluck!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Me View Post
Honestly, I'd recommend working up to 30 minutes of brisk walking at least 3x per week before starting running.
This.

If you're not already active, get active before trying to run/jog, even slowly. Despite the name of the program, there's no magic training that will get totally inactive people to running over 3 miles within 9 weeks. It just doesn't work that fast, particularly for women, particularly for overweight women, particularly for overweight previously-inactive women. Start with walking, and take it slow to prevent injury and overuse/burnout.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Yup, and when you do start running, don't feel compelled to stick to the program's schedule of increasing. Repeat weeks if you need to. I took about 5 months to work up. That's as much as I've ever heard of.

Last edited by tea2; 05-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
Yup, and when you do start running, don't feel compelled to stick to the program's schedule of increasing. Repeat weeks if you need to. I took about 5 months to work up. That's as much as I've ever heard of.
Yes! I started in February, ran my first 5K in March and was miserable. I had shin splints, and hurt quad, and hated it. I took a couple of weeks off. Started again, slower, shorter distances and just kept at it. I did my second 5K yesterday. I walked some (when I could tell that walking would be faster than running) but I finished faster than my first one, even though the route was super hilly.

I try to run about a mile or 2 every few days, figuring I'll work up to more as my legs and bones get stronger. And I'll do some 5Ks every now and then.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #12  

Thank you ladies. As for walking, I walk 2-3 hours a day pushing a double pram, so I would not say I am not active at all, running though is a whole different story. I think what you are saying is really sensible, I will try the first week, take it very slow, if I have to work up to the first week schedule then I will do it, or if I have to stick to "week 1" for a month than so be it. I do not aim to be able to run X miles a day X days a week, I just want to get more fit, gradually, with a reasonable space, respecting my body. I will definitely keep you updated
Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

You didn't mention the double stroller walking in your first post. In that case, it sounds like you're in about the perfect position to start the c25k program. Good luck with it. My best advice is to start every running interval running like you are the slowest runner in the world. That way you'll make it to the end of the interval and be ready for the next one. Speed will come with time.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm not a "runner" but I can run a few miles. As a teen I couldn't even run half of one mile. It may take longer than the prescribed program on C25K, but you will be able to run if you work at it!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Me View Post
You didn't mention the double stroller walking in your first post.
No I didn't, and you now made me think - I probably don't really consider "walking" exercise...walking is something I naturally do and I love it, while "exercising", in my mind, means sweating in a gym, being shout at and feeling miserable... I need to break this attitude, perhaps there's a key to my extra 40 pounds!

Last edited by Ronja; 05-15-2012 at 03:53 PM.