Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/250/150

Height: 5'7

Default Monday morning blues

So this week I decided to start hitting the gym in the morning, to wake up my metabolism a bit. I didn't enjoy it at all, I couldn't get my heart rate up all and when I did it dropped back down. Has anyone experienced this while exercising in the morning? In the end I gave up and just did my weight lifting routine. I'm going to go back later to make sure this day isn't a write off though.
Madkitty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I too sometimes have a hard time in the morning. I have started eating a little something before I go (a protein shake, or a banana and string cheese), that has helped me (not for everyone of course). I prefer to workout mid day or at night whenever possible. I do end up having to go in the very early morning sometimes, and I definitely have to work harder those days.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #3  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

I feel you on the Monday morning blues… although my situation is somewhat different. I just got my first road bike about 2 weeks ago and went to fill up my tires this morning, but managed to completely flatten the first one and then couldn't figure out how to get the pump head to seal on the valve properly. It just kept hissing and losing pressure.

After 20 minutes of looking on the internet and desperately trying to get the tire filled and getting entirely too frustrated by the situation, I had to concede that I didn't know what to do. I was thinking of going to a bike shop down the street for help, but lots of the bike shops here are closed on Mondays. I work with people who know about bikes though, so I put the bike in the car and took it to work with me.

The good news is that I learned that the valve stems on my tubes are too short to be able to make fitting my pump head on very easily; I need to go back to my bike shop and ask them to replace the tubes with ones with longer valves. The bad news is that I broke my bike-to-work-every-day-in-May streak (although I will go home today and make up for it now that my tires have air in them again, thanks to my work friends). The other bad news is that in filling up the second tire I managed to clock myself in the knuckle with the pump head lock as I was removing it, and now my right index finger is swollen and sore. UGH. I just wanted to bike to work, but noooo…

OK, sorry to hijack your thread. I just had to get that vent out of my system. I hate it when my attempts at exercise and working toward fitness goals are foiled; it is just EXTREMELY frustrating.
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I had a pretty blah workout this morning too. I have less energy in the morning and I hate eating before noon or 1-2 pm - I am used to being most active between work and dinner. I wonder if it's possible to retrain the body to "like" exercising at 7-8 am in a fasted state?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #5  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I barely ever work out in the morning, I time my runs to be in the late afternoon just before dinner, and the gym is mostly after dinner. The few times I do it differently doesn't work for me. I don't know if it's because of the time or because it's not in my routine. I just automatically don't even bother in the morning.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #6  

Yes, I guess My body doesn't like exercising in the morning. It's so frustrating when you're trying your hardest and your heart rate isn't budging. It took me 30 seconds to get in the zone when I went this evening. I think I'm going to start doing weight training in the morning and cardio in the evenings, it seems to agree with me.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I can go for a cycle in the morning but that's it, I couldn't actually go to a gym or anything until later on.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #8  

@ Cornellchick awww that does sound like monday morning blues. I really want to get a bike as well. It sometime seems so silly to be inside on a stationary bike when it's a lovely sunnyday!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

I don't know... I think there is something to be said for people being day or night people. My hubby loves to get up and work out in the AM, but I HATE it. My body hates it, my mind hates it, and it feels like wasted time. I do MUCH better working out in the afternoon. However, just finding the time is a pain. LOL
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #10  

I never work out in the morning because I lack the energy and I'd just be wasting time. Evenings are the best for me when it comes to being active. I'd love to go out jogging in the park at 7 AM, breathe the fresh morning air and smell the dewy grass, unfortunately, it's not gonna happen for me.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I am definitely not a morning person, but I get up at 4 am to work out. I have to, because of work. I work a lot of hours, usually 10-12 hours/day (today was 11 1/2 hours). The last thing I want to do after a long day at work is drag my tired and hungry self to the gym and fight the evening crowd to get the exercise equipment I want.

I can't control when I leave work, but I CAN control when I start, so I work out early and get myself to work as soon as I am done.

On the weekend, I get up early on Saturday, around 6:30, to work out. Mainly because I have tons of errands to run on that day and want to get the exercises out of my way. If I don't get it over with, I may procrastinate and not get it done at all...
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote