Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Default 19 year old son- starting with alternatives...

Hi,

I lost 50 lbs using IP products & been maintining for the past month. My 19 year old son, who is 6'3" and weighs 257. He needs to lose 50 lbs or so. Lives at home.

I'm very proud of him b/c he came to me on his own and wants to "do my diet". I really can't afford IP products this time around, and dr appts wouldnt be convenient with his work/school schedule.

I'm trying to come up with an alternative plan for him and give him same success. Based on other posts, I was thinking of using:

EAS low carb drinks 2-3 a day
Pure protein or Quest Bars (he is gluten sensitive so we have to be careful with the bars). 1x/day
8 oz lean protein a day
2 cups IP veggies, olive oil, lettuce

Because he is a big kid, I'm thinking 3-4 protein products a day.

Does that sound right??? He's a total carb addict (I feel guilty cuz he got it from me) and I don't want him to feel hungry enough to cheat. Any experienced "users" out ther that can help me out??

Thanks....Pam
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2  
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

S/C/G: 149/146/115

Height: 5'3

Good luck to him! I'm 19 as well and doing IP but the normal one, not alternative, but those sound good.
paulimapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

He needs 4 cups of veggies not only 2. You may have to make him have 4 packets a day. breakfast, lunch(bar), snack and another snack at night. Their bodies work faster than ours. I am waiting for my 20 yr old to decide when he wants to start. He has already asked me but said he wanted one week to eat what his heart out as he puts it then start. So I will be right there with you. He is 6ft 350lbs
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #4  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

As Wuv mentioned he needs the 4 cups of veggies. My son started on aleternatives 11 days ago and has lost 16 pounds allready. He is 21 about 5'10" and weighed 318. I go to nashuanutrition.com and get the foods for him there, they are relatively inexpensive as compared to IP. He does eat my IP SW cheese curls though.

Here is the stuff he likes:
protidiet blueberry pancakes - unrestrictive
Protidiet vanilla pudding - unrestrictive
ProtiThin - chocolate soy balls- restricitve
Protithin pizza - restrictive
Protidiet bacon & cheese omelett - unrestricitve
EAS RTD shakes- unrestricitve
and of course my IP SW cheese curls.

He has been only eatng the 3 packets a day (along with meat, veggies, oil & salt).. maybe I should have him eat another unrestricted for snack

Last edited by Cadu; 05-14-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #5  

I LOVE the fact that our boys want to follow in our foot steps and become healthy. They see how happy we are now and want to be happy as well....I am loving this!

We can help our boys be more confident with themselves by teaching them that it can be done....We can do this!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #6  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Wuv
I told my son that maybe he should be eating the 4th packet everyday. He said he wants to stay with 3 unless he feels he needs it then he will have it. Do you think this is ok? or should he have the extra packet everyday? what do you think?

Also I agree with your statement.. I LOVE that our boys want to get healthy and as a momma it sure does feel good to be his role model.

Edit to add: BTW Wuv.. Look at your new pic!!!! gorgeous.

Last edited by Cadu; 05-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the input. You both look amazing! I need to post my "after" pic too. I don't know if my son would like this website (too many women lol) but maybe at some point they could support each other?? Or, we'll just post their successes/challenges

BTW. I knew it was 4 cups of veggies per day. I was thinking per meal @ the time.
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadu View Post
Wuv
I told my son that maybe he should be eating the 4th packet everyday. He said he wants to stay with 3 unless he feels he needs it then he will have it. Do you think this is ok? or should he have the extra packet everyday? what do you think?

Also I agree with your statement.. I LOVE that our boys want to get healthy and as a momma it sure does feel good to be his role model.
Compared to you and Wuv, I'm a relative newbie so I will definitely 'bow' to the combined recommendations of you and Wuv for Pamelama's son. I'm adding this here, because I answered her post in today's Daily Chat, suggesting imo that an active teen at his height/weight should be on 4 protein packets/day. And also that imo it would be quite acceptable in the early stages of things for him to have a 5th if he felt he needed it. I know my coach said that was ok for me during my first week. All along I've been on 4/packs (now alternatives) per day, rather than the 3/day as so many of you are... and while I never use a 5th now, there were a couple of days during my first week when I did.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #9  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Compared to you and Wuv, I'm a relative newbie so I will definitely 'bow' to the combined recommendations of you and Wuv for Pamelama's son. I'm adding this here, because I answered her post in today's Daily Chat, suggesting imo that an active teen at his height/weight should be on 4 protein packets/day. And also that imo it would be quite acceptable in the early stages of things for him to have a 5th if he felt he needed it. I know my coach said that was ok for me during my first week. All along I've been on 4/packs (now alternatives) per day, rather than the 3/day as so many of you are... and while I never use a 5th now, there were a couple of days during my first week when I did.
thanks for the input Eve. I am thinking I am gonna make him have the 4th packet as he is younger, more active and male. I would hate for his body to go into starvation mode. Or even worse do any harm to his body.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Default Gluten free 'The Simply Bar'

Pamelama, "The Simply Bar' is another good protein bar that is gluten free. I use it, and several others here are as well.

Here's a link that directs to a page that tells you all about them:

http://www.wellnessfoods.ca/
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #11  

Quote:
Wuv

Edit to add: BTW Wuv.. Look at your new pic!!!! gorgeous.
Thanks!.....I have a couple of questions for you.....
1. Was he a junk eater?
2. Did he eat a lot of food when he ate meals?
3. Was he a snacker?
4. Does he play sports of any kind?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #12  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

If your sons ideal weight is 200 or above he needs 4pks so that he protects his lean muscle.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #13  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Thanks!.....I have a couple of questions for you.....
1. Was he a junk eater?
2. Did he eat a lot of food when he ate meals?
3. Was he a snacker?
4. Does he play sports of any kind?
1. yes big time junk eater & fast food junky
2. yes
3. yes
4. no sports but he does walk allot for his part time job.

He says most days he isnt hungry with the 3 packets.
Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead14 View Post
If your sons ideal weight is 200 or above he needs 4pks so that he protects his lean muscle.
Thanks. he wants to be 180 - 200

Last edited by Cadu; 05-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #14  

Quote:
1. yes big time junk eater & fast food junky
2. yes
3. yes
4. no sports but he does walk allot for his part time job.

He says most days he isnt hungry with the 3 packets.
Thanks for your help

Thanks. he wants to be 180 - 200
He will go into starvation mode if he doesn't have the 4 packets. His body is used of eating" JUNK" so it needs to be fed. This is how I am planning on doing my son's....
Breakfast shake
Lunch bar
Snack shake
dinner protein
snack shake
He is starting a job this week so I may have to play around with his snack. He will have to be at work for 6am so he might be getting the snack earlier in the morning. Will have to play around with it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #15  
Restart IP 12/26/14

That sounds like a great plan.. OK he will be "forced" to eat the extra packet between lunch & dinner.. Imagine being forced to eat extra.. what shame .. hahaha
Thanks for all your help. Let me know how your son does.