Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Moisturizers for oily skin?

I bought a Wal-mart brand version of Aveeno's daily facial moisturizer, and I tried it last night. It made my face feel SO greasy; in fact, most moisturizers do this. I cannot for the life of me find a reasonably priced facial moisturizer designed for oily skin. I'm guessing I need a lightweight moisturizer, but the only thing like that I can find are also paired with acne medication. I use an astringent for acne, so I don't want to over-medicate my skin and dry it out. What do y'all suggest?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #2  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I have oily skin too and for years I couldn't find anything that worked but recently I picked up Lavera Aloe Vera moisturising fluid and my skin has never been better.

http://www.thehealthstore.ie/index.p...ing-fluid.html

I spent more on it than usual but it's totally worth it. Lots of natural ingredients which I think would be good if you're already using stuff for acne. Aloe vera is great for that too
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #3  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin is great and Wal-Mart carries the Equate equivalent which is quite a bit cheaper.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

I've got oily skin and I almost never moisturize. Just use a mild cleanser and some light suscreen
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Isn't the whole point of moisturizer is to add oil to a face/body that doesn't have it naturally?

If you have oily skin, you don't need to moisturize. Keep your face clean and be thankful for the oil that is keeping your face naturally healthy.

I am 42 years old and have oily skin and I have NEVER moisturized - ever. I don't think I look any different/older than those who do moisturize.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I have super oily skin, and I ADORE this stuff - http://www.marykay.com/skincare/mois...0/default.aspx It's oil absorbing! I've been using it since I was in college - can't believe I'm in my late 30's and still need it.

Last edited by Riddy; 05-04-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Isn't the whole point of moisturizer is to add oil to a face/body that doesn't have it naturally?

If you have oily skin, you don't need to moisturize. Keep your face clean and be thankful for the oil that is keeping your face naturally healthy.

I am 42 years old and have oily skin and I have NEVER moisturized - ever. I don't think I look any different/older than those who do moisturize.
Actually, I've read that people with oily skin still need to moisturize, and it also depends on your level of oiliness, too, I suppose. My skin is really prone to breakouts because it's oily, and the astringent I use dries out my skin pretty bad so I need a moisturizer to balance things out.

I'll definitely check in to some of the suggestions though! Thanks y'all!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

I definitely second the neutrogena oil free SPF 15 moisturizer! It works well with my acne-prone skin. Even when I was using retin A (which really, really dries out skin), it was gentle (didn't burn) and effective. Don't get a higher SPF though as that can irritate sensitive skin!
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/190.4/130

Height: 5'3''

Look at Paula's Choice products. www.PaulasChoice.com
I have oily skin and tried everything there is out there and so far her products are the best. Should really try it. I switch between the Clear Anti-Acne and Skin Balancing Systems depending of the season and how my skin is at the moment.

Good luck!

Last edited by happyrunner; 05-04-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: link correction
happyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/190.4/130

Height: 5'3''

I should add that all her products are 100% fragrance-free and contains no dyes or coloring agents. And If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, they will provide a prompt refund or credit for the cost of your products within 60 days of the purchase date. She is the author of the well known books Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me and The Original Beauty Bible by Paula Begoun

Last edited by happyrunner; 05-05-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typo
happyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm quite a bit older than you but I do have combination skin and I am prone to acne. STILL at 49. Seriously?! I use, and swear by, Cornhuskers. It's cheap (about $3.50 a bottle) and oil-free. It was recommended by my DD's dermatologist. We've been using it ever since--about 10 years.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #12  
Health is wealth $$$$$$$$

S/C/G: 180/150/115

Height: 5"2

Red face

Hey! So I have reallly oily and acne prone skin and for some reason although my face was really oily I felt odd not putting on any face cream/moisturizer at all since I've been doing it since I was a kid.

Recently though, I've started paying more attention to my body and skin and I've suddenly literally started to feel the oil on my face and feel the need to wash my face like a few times during the day - BUT I've stopped using a moisturizer completely (only sunscreen when I leave the house), and my face typically feels sort of dry for the first 10-15 minutes after I wash my face, but then my natural oils start naturally moisturizing my face and I realize that I never needed any moisturizer in the first place! It's just the first 15 minutes after u wash ur face that you feel the need to moisturize (this is only if you have oily skin ofcourse).

I use La Roche-Posay Effaclar facewash (for oily/sensitive skin) and when I'm home I don't use any moisturizer on my face, but when I step out I always use La Roche-Posay's Anthelios XL sunscreen cream for the face..I wear it under my makeup too .. this is seriously the best face cream/sun screen ever! It's pretty light and it just feels great! (This change in how I take care of my skin and the products I use has done wonders for my skin btw!).

(P.S. - Oh, and when my skin goes crazy (break outs, general rebellion) which always happens the week before my period begins, I switch to a Salicylic Acid facewash)

Last edited by Zazaa; 05-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Zazaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #13  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

You could go for the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (the one for skin types 3 & 4, according to their labeling system). It's pretty good and it's for combination oily to very oily skin. If you get it at a department store, they will try to make you buy the whole 3-step programme but you don't have to, you can just go for the moisturizer if you're happy with the rest of tour skin regimen.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #14  

I've actually begun to use the moisturizer I bought along with my face wash and astringent; it's actually making my skin look a lot better! I think the first time I used it I used WAY too much, and now I only put little dabs of it on and it makes a world of difference. I still might check into these other products cause they might be better for my skin, but thank you all for the suggestions! I love how helpful you all are!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #15  

I'm glad your moisturizer works better now. I have combination skin, it's oily and acne prone, but if I don't use any moisturizer I get dry patches on my cheeks. I use the Vichy Normaderm cream, it keeps my T-zone mat, but hydrates the rest of my face.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote