Old 05-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Default C25K-In need of encouragement/success stories

I have just signed up for a 5km (3.1 miles) run in aid of Cancer Research, its on the 17th June, so it fits in perfectly with their recommended training plan. I agreed to do it as I did the 10km version last year when i was 50lbs or so heavier, I managed it at a walk in 90mins.

I'm not much of a runner though, I prefer circuits, the gym, Tae bo, etc. So I'm a bit nervous. Has anyone done anything similar? I could use some stories to encourage me right now.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Does anyone have any idea what diet plan I should follow to train for this run healthily while still losing weight?

I plan on doing 3 30/45 min runs a week, 2 gym sessions and an hour long circuit training class. Any recommendations?
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I started Couch to 5K in February. I ran a 5K in March (walked/ran) but had a lot of trouble breathing, bad shin splints and some sort of quad injury. I took a couple of weeks off to reassess if I wanted to run, and decided to cut back on my mileage until my body was used to it. I started doing a 2 mile circuit, 2 days a week, gradually running more and more each time. I ran the whole 2 miles last week, and have my second 5K next Sunday.

The program was great as a start, but also feel free to repeat days or weeks if it isn't going well. Everyone's body is different.

What is your eating like now? I don't eat back running calories, since I only burn 200/300 per session. I just stick to the calorie range I normally eat at.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #4  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Good luck!! I started the 10 km version yesterday and I have high hopes for myself.

I have completed c25k in the past and it really does work! I've noticed that the times I have tried and failed it was because I didn't follow the training plan and tried to speed things up too soon, but when I did follow it, I made it all the way through.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #5  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I did c25k last spring and loved it! I started it in March 2011 and finished it in early May. In the first couple of weeks I dealt with shin splints, but they never bothered me after that. I did the whole thing on a treadmill at the gym. I started the program at around 160 and by July weighed in the low 130s, running 3 miles several days a week. I was also calorie counting and eating between 1200-1400 calories most days. Sadly, we moved and I fell off the running (and healthy eating bandwagon) shortly after. I am restarting the program (at week 3) this week and can't wait!

I never did run an actual 5k race though. My husband and I are signing up for the Color Me Rad 5k at the end of September, which is our anniversary weekend. It's good motivation for me to keep running after I finish the program.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #6  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I just did the first C25K workout today! I'm getting ready for a 5K at the end of June - super excited

I did the whole program two years ago and loved it, but fell off the running bandwagon after that. It definitely got me to running the full 5K (although I was still slow as heck!). I agree with the recommendation above to repeat weeks if you need to, and would toss in that calf stretches post-workout are a must. I like to write the alphabet with my toes twice on each side after running and do strength training on other days when I'm not running to prevent shin splints.

Good luck - you can do this!!!

Last edited by smisen; 05-08-2012 at 01:41 PM.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/221(restart)/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I loved c25k when I did it... never thought I could run more than 1/5 of a mile, and that would've been on a good day! The only difference i noticed between training for the 5K and actually running a 5K was that I was SO used to the feel and constant speed of a treadmill that the feeling of running on asphalt came as a rude shock... I felt sluggish and my legs hurt, so you may want to consider possibly throwing in some training outdoors to prepare yourself for it.
Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
I loved c25k when I did it... never thought I could run more than 1/5 of a mile, and that would've been on a good day! The only difference i noticed between training for the 5K and actually running a 5K was that I was SO used to the feel and constant speed of a treadmill that the feeling of running on asphalt came as a rude shock... I felt sluggish and my legs hurt, so you may want to consider possibly throwing in some training outdoors to prepare yourself for it.
I agree that a lot of the running should be outside. Its quite different as you are needing to propel yourself forward, not just lift your legs up and down while the treadmill belt moves. Also, I found the beginning stages of C25K frustrating on a treadmill, since every couple of minutes you are hitting the "increase speed" and "decrease speed" buttons. I also found it easier to regulate my speed outside, since I could speed up or slow down as needed, without hitting buttons.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #9  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I completed C25K a liitle less than a year and a half ago at about 220lbs. I've never been a runner or athletic and now comfortably run 5km in about 30 mins. In fairness, I didn't finish C25K running at that pace. When I first finished, 5km took me over 50 mins. I could probably have walked it in the same amount of time or likely even faster but I felt proud that i could at least say I was a legitimate runner.

I don't do races. Partly because there are none around here but mostly because it's not my thing BUT what I do know is that C25K is an excellent programme that can help you reach your goals. I don't know what week you're currently on and whether you have the luxury of time on your side, but some weeks I repeated till I had them down. If you don't have the luxury of time to repeat the weeks, then if you feel you need to walk at any point, walk. Walk until you feel you can get running again. Some days are just not "good run days" for some reason. Push yourself but also know your limits and stop and walk if you need to. Oooh and also, run outside if you're training for a race. I only very rarely run outside and boy is it harder than running on the treadmill. If you must run on the treadmill a 1% incline makes it harder almost like running outside.

Don't worry, keep training and know that on race day, you'll be fine. Everyone I know who races says there's something about race day which makes you push yourself and go harder and faster than you ever thought you could. You can totally do this!!!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #10  
I am worth it!

S/C/G: 258/240.8/170

Height: 5'05"

I just started the C25K program a few weeks ago. We are on week 3, workout 2. My best advice is to work your way up to it. I had stopped walking for several months and when I started back my feet and shins were sore. We decided to do brisk walking for 1.5-2 miles a few times per week for a couple weeks before starting the program.
Just like the site says, go by time and not by distance. My friend jogs much faster than I do and there is no way I can keep up with her distance, but we are both running 3 minutes, so it equals out.
If you need to repeat workouts it's totally ok! Just be proud that you're doing the time!
There is also an amazing app for C25K. Mine is from active.com, but there are several. It will track your time and fade your music out to tell you when to start jogging or walking & many more things! I LOVE this because it was a nightmare to try to read my watch or cell phone while jogging haha!

Best of luck to you! I know you'll do great!

Last edited by MosesMom1; 05-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.
MosesMom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/179/160

Height: 5'8"

I was so happy to see this thread. I am currently in week 2 of the couch to 5k program and I would like to know that it gets better and that at the end of all this I will lose some weight. I decided to do the program because I want to become a runner and I want to become more fit and stronger. I am also at my plateau. I have lost 20 pounds already and would like to lose 15-20 more and everything else was not working.

I enjoy it so far and already see myself repeating weeks because I'm struggling to keep up with the minute and a half runs.
thequietvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I am on W9D2....I will do W9D3 tomorrow . I am amazed at what my body can do now and that I can actually do a 30 minute run without dying. I like the gradual increase and I am really running more than I ever thought I could.

For me, the battle has been mental. Sometimes when I'm jogging, I have to ask myself what part of me wants to quit. 9.5 times out of 10, it's my brain. The first 20 minute run completely freaked me out. I realize that some days I have good runs and others not so great. But I'm doing it. I'll be stretching out my run to make sure I complete a 5K tomorrow.

Stop by and join us on the C25k thread. Happy running....
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote