Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #1  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Default Dreading Wednesday (My Birthday)

Wednesday is my birthday. I have told both the women in my department I do not want a big fuss made over my birthday and under no circumstances do I want a cake. To which the response was "Of course we are getting you a cake, one slice will not hurt you" Really how dare I think I could deny the whole office a reason to buy and eat cake!! They only have a bakery in the break room every freaking day!!

I am really at a loss of what to do. Would it be rude to throw the cake in the trash can right in front of them since I already requested that they DO NOT buy it!

Last edited by SmallSteps; 05-07-2012 at 09:57 PM.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I think you say "Thank you very much for the cake-it is lovely." And then walk away. If they act offended, just say "Well now there's more for you guys to enjoy." One piece will not hurt, and it definitely will not help, either. Maybe you could tell them you're allergic to icing? Just kidding, but I know the exact situation. We have a countertop at work that is known as "the free to a good home counter," the "whose food is this? Well, yours, silly!" counter,"the buffet table," "the five pounds a month area," and the "grazing lands." And it is always overflowing with fill in the blank. Chips and salsa, brownies, chips, pretzels, cake, ice cream, pizza, whatever. And the drawer underneath is full of chocolate. This is the reason I gained so much weight working there. I couldn't control myself. It is always someone's birthday, or someone got a wild hair for baking, clients flood our intestines with liquefied sugars and fats, or a rep brings us lunch, or pastries. We work right next door to McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts, and Steak n' Shake. It is ridiculous. And it has to stop. Nobody has to eat cake just because it is their birthday. And no one should be offended that someone else does not wish to eat said cake on their birthday. Appreciate the thought, and let the hogs slop up whatever is left at the trough. You can walk away knowing that you might live to another birthday- and just a little healthier.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #3  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Just IRKS me that I am having cake that I do not want FORCED on me! lol
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

It was recently my birthday, and I never tell anyone - I always figure my mother should be the one getting the attention, since she had to carry me around!

Anyways, word got out and a very thoughtful colleague baked for me. I know that the cake seems frustrating, but this is what I did. I made sure to offer everyone a piece first - giving credit to the baker. I talked to people that I literally NEVER talk to just to give away cake.

By the end, everyone was distracted by cake, I claimed to already have had a piece, and when there was one left over I said I would save it for later... and then made my buddy eat it!

Focus on the positive - at least they want to celebrate you!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #5  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Awwww!!! let them eat the cake. Honestly, if you don't want to have it, don't. It's your decision. I had a cake at the office at my birthday, what I did was take a piece back to my desk, take a tiny piece and politely threw out the rest. hahahaha but I agree with funnycanadiangirl they want to celebrate you!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6

You should let them know how much this diet means to you, but it is your birthday! Maybe a low fat cake? like a tiny slice of homemade plain lemon cake or carrot cake? Enjoy your birthday and celebrate with your friends.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #7  
Tired Of Just Surviving

They do not want to celebrate me they just need a reason to bring a cake the size of a football field into the office to graze on all day!! LOL

Why does birthday equal CAKE!?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Happy Birthday a bit early! Maybe you could just politely take a small piece with you back to your desk then trash it when no one's looking. Or possibly take a piece and pawn it off on someone else!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

Maybe tell them you'd really rather have a fruit basket or a veggie platter instead??
If they're set on cake though, there will probably be no dissuading them. So just have itty bitty piece or try what funnycanadiangirl said
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

I like funnycanadiangirl's suggestion - a neat and tactful way of getting round the problem. The taking it back to your desk "to have with coffee in a while" works well too, Coffee gets drunk and cake somehow disappears...

Happy Birthday too!
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'll always say "I'll have some in a little bit" when there are things served that I don't want. Most times people forget you never had any.

That said, unless you have some serious issues with sugar, don't be afraid to have something like that now and then On my birthday I had some cheesecake and just made sure to allow for it in the day's calories! That was a month ago and the weight is still off, haha.

If it's crappy, store-bought cake I wouldn't want to waste the calories though...it had better be worth it!!

If you REALLY want to control things, offer to make a cake yourself! You can tailor it to your specifications, you'll know what's in it and everyone will hopefully respect your wishes and not buy a cake. I made my own cake last year because I wanted it a certain way. My family just kind of shrugged and went along with it.

Have a happy birthday!!

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-08-2012 at 03:52 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

Belinda, remember that 9 times out of 10 when someone says that they don't want a fuss made about his/her special day, they really do. This is part of what your co-workers are thinking. They haven't clued in to the fact that you are serious about it. Let them bring the cake. If you don't want any then don't have any; just don't make a big deal about it. I agree with funnycanadiangirl...distract them by serving and they will never know you didn't have any!

Besides, you have had a hard time lately...let them celebrate you and enjoy the positive attention!

Stay strong my friend!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #13  

Use the doctor. As in it was so nice of you to make that for me, but my doctor said i can't have any: (insert, wheat, sugar, etc).

mostly people won`t argue with the doctor excuse. good luck!
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I agree with what someone said above: As them to bring a fruit or veggie platter instead. If they say no, you have to have cake then it has nothing to do with you but rather their insatiable need to have cake at the drop of a hat. In which case, they really don't care if you have a piece or not and I wouldn't stress over it one bit.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 05-08-2012 at 10:27 AM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Just let her bring in the cake. Then decide how you want to deal with it. At your snappiest, say thanks and refuse to take a piece as it's passed around and offer no excuse. At your most pleasant, say thanks, take a piece and take it to your desk.

Actually, at your snappiest, yell, "Would you give whiskey to an alcoholic? I told you I didn't want a cake!" Then throw the whole thing in the trash. You'd probably feel better but no one would admit to being your friend any longer. That would solve things for the next several birthdays!

Good luck. Resist or don't. It's just one piece of cake. In the long run, those calories hardly matter. I know all the reasons to say no. No need to go into that. But we do have to remember that the rest of the world continues in their set ways and we need to deal with it, today, tomorrow, and forever.

Happy Birthday. Try to enjoy it!

Linl

Last edited by linJber; 05-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote