Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Red Team 2012 Spring Into Summer CHAT Thread Week 2 (05/07-05/13)

Hi Team-
Hope everyone had a great Sunday. Looks like the majority of us made weigh in- hooray!!

Here are the initial results- leslieb (Blue Team Leader) will post the official results here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/bigg...y-results.html

As a team we lost 48.9 lbs or 0.92%!!

Biggest Loser: Getmydivaback3 (-8 lbs, 3.27%)

Honourable Mentions: selway (-6 lbs, 2.82%)
zogo (-3.8 lbs, 2.15%)
canuckgirl7 (-4 lbs, -2.11%)

Keep up the great work everyone.

What did you find that worked well for you? What didn't work?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #2  

Hi Red Team,
Congrats to Getmydivaback3 for being the biggest loser and also to zogo and canuckgirl7 for being the runner ups. Great job.

This week's goals: Track my foods everyday, Get some form of exercise everyday, and get my garden put in except for the plants.

I'm making quark tonight, a form of cream cheese that is made from cultured buttermilk and is real easy to make. I made it once before and really liked it. I haven't tried it on baked potatos but is supposed to be better than butter or sour cream and since it's lowfat and low calorie I can enjoy it. I'm going to make yogurt tomorrow, I would have done that tonight too but we are a little short of milk. I flavor it with chocolate pudding mix for DD and that is what she eats for lunch at school most of the time.
I have some baby peas peeking through in my garden, and some swiss chard and spinache peeking up. I have some early leaf lettuce in a planter ready to pick but there isn't much coming up in the garden yet. I need to get the rest of the garden planted, my squash, cukes, broccoli, cabbage, tomatos, peppers, and what ever looks good at the garden store. I'm also going to put in a herb garden with sage, thyme, basil, maybe some tarragon and whatever else there is. I want to try rosemary again because I love it, but it never wants to grow for me.

Have a great week everyone
Bette K
Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

Height: 5'5

I was happy that I lost anything at all last week. I hit the hated 100-hour workweek benchmark, which basically means I did nothing but work, sleep, and exercise. Oh, and have sushi and cupcakes. :P

I did get my 12 APs, which was good.

And I made this Skinnytaste recipe last night, which was great!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/c...n-425-pts.html

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 8 servings • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 190 • Fat: 1.5 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Carbs: 23.1 g • Protein: 21 g

Ingredients:

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
15 oz can black beans
8 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
3 scallions, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
salt to taste

Directions:

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice or in a tortilla (extra pts).
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Congrats, everybody - nice job!

As far as things that DON'T work for me, I'm pretty happy with how I did last week, but I did discover that I gain water weight VERY rapidly after eating grains. I was up over a pound Sunday morning after eating some bread and a waffle on Saturday. But after a day on plan I'm heading back down again, so I'm feeling pretty happy that it's just water weight.

I did figure out something that works REALLY well for me: preparation! Very intensive preparation. Last week was kind of experimental with my new eating plan, but it helped me figure out what I like to eat and what I need to keep here. I've got my snacks all planned out (grilled chicken, olives, red peppers - my own little daily antipasto tray!), food prepped for lunches, and a tasty meal plan for all my suppers. Oughta be a good week!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #5  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

Woot Woot! Nice job everyone. Congrats Getmydivaback3!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 279/260/175

Height: 5'9

Thanks everyone I worked really hard, but I know I'll have to work even harder this week to get even a small lost. So I'll be making sure I don't skip any workouts this week. Congratulations to everyone on there loses.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 193/153.4/145

Height: 5'6" Low Carb WOE

BigChiefHoho, I'm not surprised your carby Saturday had you up. Did you know that bread spikes your insulin response? I was shocked when I learned that two slices of Whole Wheat bread have a higher glycemic index than table sugar, or a Snickers Bar, or a Mars Bar, or even a Coca Cola!

I'm really pushing water to keep filled up and wash out the fat this week. Hopefully, I won't slide back after my loss.

Have a great week everybody!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Good morning Team!

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Zogo/BigChief- I knew about the insulin spike of wheat/grains but didn't even correlate it to a water weight gain-even after reading most of the book 'Wheat Belly'.

Bette- envious of your garden & your yogurt/cheese making skills.

Shan- Thanks for sharing the recipe- sounds yummy & possibly something my kids may eat.

I think, no I KNOW,tracking my food made the difference for me last week. Making me very aware of what is going in my mouth and staying accountable.

okay-busy day at work here. I'l try to check in later tonight.
Drink your water & make good choices
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Shan, that recipe looks delicious! I've emailed to myself to try this month.

getmydivaback, congrats on the amazing weight loss!!

I kind of skidded off the rails this weekend. Went out for lunch on Friday, and we decided to get icecream after. I'd been so good all week, I didn't think a little blast would hurt, what could it have 350 cals? Well, after I ate it I looked it up...900 FREAKIN' CALORIES IN A SMALL!!! How in the heck? Did they just gather up random loose calories and stuff them in the icecream? That left me feeling icky and depressed all weekend. But it is time to turn over a new leaf and move forward. And you can bet I won't ever be getting icecream from sonic again!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 193/153.4/145

Height: 5'6" Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMel View Post
Good morning Team!

Zogo/BigChief- I knew about the insulin spike of wheat/grains but didn't even correlate it to a water weight gain-even after reading most of the book 'Wheat Belly'.
Hey Mel, I haven't read "Wheat Belly" yet, but I did get the chance to see Dr. Davis speak at an event recently. The info is fascinating and I have done some of my own research since then. Information I wish I had YEARS ago.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

Yay! Congrats to everyone. It looks like we had a good week.

Last week was very stressful for me at work, so I'm proud of how well I did. I packed my lunch and brought it to work every day so that I would avoid the pizza and donuts that always end up in the break room around this time of year.

I'm going to try tracking my food this week to see if it makes a difference. I think it will help me be more mindful.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/150.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Congrats to our biggest losers!

Shan-that recipe looks yummy! Going to try it out this week.

Bette-your garden sounds wonderful. I'm hoping to plant a garden, probably won't be until next year.

Zogo-thats interesting about the whole wheat bread. I would have never thought that to be the case.

Mapleleaf-way to go on avoiding the tempting foods

MonteCristo-way to move forward after the slip up

CanadaMel-I'm gonna have to check out Wheat Belly. I'm always looking for new nutrition reads

BigChief-sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place

Hello to the rest of the team!

Eating was ok this last week with the exception of a trip out of town Saturday night intoSunday evening. I started back into exercising this morning after a couple of hit and miss months. Things have a been a little stressful around here we just purchased a new home, hopefully things will start slowing down (crosses fingers) so I can get back in the swing of things.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

zogo - I just learned about that (the insulin thing)! It's pretty new knowledge for me. I watched Fat Head on Netflix a couple weeks ago, and it made me pick up Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, and holy crap! It's kind of mind-blowing. To be honest, I'm almost angry that I didn't know this stuff a decade ago. Would've saved me a loooot of hard times.

MapleLeaf - Good plan! I agree that having your own food at all times is the key to avoiding crappy breakroom munchies. Sucks, though, when your co-workers start harassing you about why you won't eat junk with them, though!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #14  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

I am making a list of the nutrition books to read, thanks for the recommendations. I know I have a lot to learn.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #15  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

gonna have to check that out FAT Head... sounds interesting. I love hearing new ideas about health and how we can improve it.

sun is out and its a beautiful day here~ got in a good walk yesterday,enjoyed it so much. Hope to do that today again.

have a great day everybody!