Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #1  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default What's the quickest way to build stamina?

Hey, everyone! I was wondering if you have any tips for building endurance quickly. Right now I'm pretty much in the worst shape anyone could be, but I just started volunteering at a therapeutic horse farm where I have to walk and run alongside the horses pretty much continuously for 5-6 hours at a time. Today was my first day, and by the end of the five hours I was pretty much ready to collapse. I don't know if I could have run again without having to stop.

So what can I do to improve? Obviously this is going to be tough at my size no matter what, but I'm hoping I can make it a little more tolerable. Should I walk for a long time every day? Elliptical? Stairmaster? I have a gym membership.

Any advice is much appreciated
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #2  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

ive been walking 3 miles a night, my time has already improved, and i am able to jog about 5 times as far as i could before in a little less than 2 weeks. we are around the same size too, and i know how hard it is at first!

my suggestion?

A: good shoes, with good insoles, and a good workout outfit to avoid the painful inner thighs in the morning!

and B: walk for as long as you are comfortable, make sure you are well hydrated, and dont push yourself too hard too fast, it will get easier sooner than you think

Good luck!!
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #3  
It's about time

Congrats on the great results you're getting! That's really encouraging. I'll try the walking.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I think you'll build it at your job quickly enough! Wouldn't too too much next to that because you might overexert yourself. What helps to get through a day would be to approach it like you were exercising (you are!). So drink enough water during your workday. Eat complex carbs and enough protein before you go to work and make sure you have an energy-building snack or two for during your workday. Like an apple, eggwhites and some nuts.

Oh, if you do this only like once a week then sure you could exercise to improve in the meantime, I was figuring you do it more often though. But walking and running is good. As is the elliptical in the gym, and it's not so hard on your joints since it's a low-impact exercise.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I think any and all of your suggestions are good. You need to build both cardiovascular and muscular endurance. So, say you go to the gym 3x per week - walk one day (vary between flat and incline), elliptical one day, stairmaster one day (or 15 mins of each on the same day, etc).

What a cool volunteer job!!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #6  
It's about time

I didn't see the responses after my last reply — thanks, ladies! I've been really busy with work and moving to a new house, so for now I've been trying to just get as much exercise as I can in general. I think it's gotten better. I plan to get back to the gym a few days a week when things calm down.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #7  
~Cupcake

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3''

Ive been using this machine at the gym called an Arc Trainer, it's similar to an elliptical, and boy has my stamina gone up using that machine, and my thighs and butt are really starting to get toned and less jiggly, it's like melting off the cellulite XD
Plexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #8  
It's about time

Oooh, I'll have to check that out. I don't think my gym has one (it's pretty small, and I've never noticed any machines other than the Stairmasters, ellipticals, bikes and treadmills) but maybe I can figure out a way to simulate what it does.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I have built a ton of endurance in the past 2 and a half weeks doing interval training on whatever machine I'm using. I go hard for a few minutes, rest of a minute and repeat for however long I'm going. I really like doing running intervals, I have seen an improvement in my stamina almost every workout!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #10  
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I have built a ton of endurance in the past 2 and a half weeks doing interval training on whatever machine I'm using. I go hard for a few minutes, rest of a minute and repeat for however long I'm going. I really like doing running intervals, I have seen an improvement in my stamina almost every workout!
Wow, awesome to know! I reeeeally need to get back to the gym. Every day I say I'm going to and then I get home late and tell myself it's better to take my dog to the park. But I have a wedding in two months and I need to get it together!