Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1  
IP Rookie

S/C/G: 229/229/190

Height: 5'10"

Default Mio...

I did a search in this forum to no avail... Is mio usable in Phase 1 of Ideal Protein? Coach said no but I have heard different.
sumner0316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #2  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I use Mio Everyday!! I know others do as well!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7

Sounds like lots of people here use it. I don't. My coach said no crystal light and no chewing gum (listerene strips are ok) but people here do both of those. I choose to just stick to what my coach ok's.
Soootiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Height: 5'5"

My coach allows but only 1-2 a day. I really don't care for it anyway, way tooooo sweet
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 141/141/125

Height: 5 foot 8.5 inches

My coach allows it - and didn't seem to think I could use too much.

Having said that, a user on one of the other threads made a really good point I hadn't thought of.... anything that is 0/0/0 is going to have trace of everything. Meaning Mio has trace carbs most likely and if you use too much it will add up and count against you (whether or not you realize it!)

Maybe bring it up again and ask if you use it in moderation if it would be okay.

I can say that for a heavy wine drinker (not to sound like a lush! I just REALLY like a glass of wine after a stressful day) one of the hardest things for me has been sitting around a table not drinking wine while everyone else is. A glass of sparkling water with the Berry Pomegranate Mio mixed in was delicious and some how made it easier.

Good luck!
sneuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #6  
Started IP 3/26/12

Seems like a lot of posters here do use it. I'm solo - no coach - so got some a few weeks ago. I used it fairly often for the first week or so, then found the novelty wore off. Now I probably only use it 1x/day as a flavor in my water - if that. But it's a nice option to have available.. better to have and not use, than to get bored with plain water and be frustrated. LOL. I also enjoy one can of club soda weekly, with a couple of squirts of MIO.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #7  

Evepet - if you don't mind my asking, why only one can of club soda a week? My coach told me I can have as much as I want but I've read a few people's posts that indicate they've been told not to. Just curious!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuse View Post
Evepet - if you don't mind my asking, why only one can of club soda a week? My coach told me I can have as much as I want but I've read a few people's posts that indicate they've been told not to. Just curious!
As I understand it, it's because of the phosphoric acid content in carbonated drinks. If you do a search, you'll find threads that discuss this issue. I've never been a soda drinker anyway, rarely even club soda - so it wasn't much of an issue for me. I just decided to allow myself that one can of club soda/week with MIO as a sort of treat to 'fill in' for wine or a cocktail, etc. And it's a change from 'flat' water all the time... or herb tea/decaf coffee/tea, etc. Just something different on a limited basis. While most/many types of soda have phosphoric acid, I'm not sure if club soda even contains it - maybe it depends on the brand - I'm not sure - that was just my decision for myself. If you look around here, there's lots more info about this.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
As I understand it, it's because of the phosphoric acid content in carbonated drinks. If you do a search, you'll find threads that discuss this issue. I've never been a soda drinker anyway, rarely even club soda - so it wasn't much of an issue for me. I just decided to allow myself that one can of club soda/week with MIO as a sort of treat to 'fill in' for wine or a cocktail, etc. And it's a change from 'flat' water all the time... or herb tea/decaf coffee/tea, etc. Just something different on a limited basis. While most/many types of soda have phosphoric acid, I'm not sure if club soda even contains it - maybe it depends on the brand - I'm not sure - that was just my decision for myself. If you look around here, there's lots more info about this.
Thanks! I hadn't heard of any of that and hadn't come across it on the forum (though I don't really go back through old posts very often) so I'll look into it more!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/129

Height: 5/3"

My coach says MIO is okay. I use it twice per day, to choke down the vitamins...
Copperhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

The reason Crystal Light and a lot of gums are discouraged is because of the aspartame content. Aspartame mimics a sugar reaction in the pancreas and that's what we're trying to avoid when on IP.

So I've been told to look for anything that contains sucralose/Splenda instead as it doesn't cause the same reaction. Mio has sucralose.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #12  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Just chiming in, my coach advised me to limit my "extras" to 6 servings or less a day (extras being 0/0/0 products such as Splenda, WF, Mio, Miracle Noodles, etc). The FDA allows anything with 4 calories or less to be labeled "0", so just assume that each serving has 4 calories and 1 carb (FYI, that is in 1 Splenda packet). And note the serving sizes, since it can add up if you don't keep track.

Also, the phosphoric acid in commercial seltzer, diet soda, etc is not advised as it is acidic and IP works to be an alkaline diet. I personally make my own seltzer and have a large glass each night. The CO2 does dissolve to a mild carbonic acid, but not to the levels of phosphoric acid. I would think the occasional Mio seltzer treat is a wonderful alternative to a cocktail!

Last edited by LizRR; 05-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #13  

I've checked all the labels and none of them list anything other than carbonated water, so I don't know if they have phosphoric acid?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #14  
Started IP 12 Apr 12

S/C/G: 270/179/170

Height: 5'4

I use MIO everyday instead of plain water and my coach said it is allowed since it has Sucralose in it and Sucralose is allowed. Good luck
shathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #15  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuse View Post
I've checked all the labels and none of them list anything other than carbonated water, so I don't know if they have phosphoric acid?
It won't affect your weight loss, but your alkaline state. Speaking only for myself, I would think the occasional treat is just fine.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote