Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #1  

Default Belgian on a trip to US- where to buy what?

Hi all,

new here and I need some help, hoping you can give it
I am european and following a low carb high protein diet.

Another forum member directed me to the IP section, it's comparable? a first active stage with one real protein meal (chicken, tuna, ...) a day, lots of veggies (but some restricted) and 4 protein powder/meal replacers like vanilla pudding and so on. I started 12nd march and with 1.72cm lost 12kg (24pounds?). I believe it's an 800 kcal's a day plan.

It works great -so far so good- but the thing is, we are planning our holidays in the states (washington D.C- round trip cherokee, assateague,...) end of june. First I thought I would do it in 2 phases: pre holiday and stabilization and post holiday but it's going so well that I want to continue. Now, the big question is: where can I find these products (protein shakes) in the US as I am quite sure I can't bring them on the plane? What are their names?

Can anyone give me tips, shops, websites or makes and types in US (here it's called Kyalin and eurodiet, medical diet centers protein but I guess it has other names there?).

Thank you!
Tigs
Tiggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #2  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

I would absolutely bring them. Pack them in your checked baggage. Should be no issue at all.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #3  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Fluids would be an issue in a carry on.

I've packed an entire suitcase with food for several vacations and had no issues checking the bag. It was an international flight too. Walmart has ESA and Atkins products so do many larger grocery stores. There are some great threads on traveling while on IP Ideal Protein .

Here is a link
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-threads.html

Enjoy your vacation.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Most of the people who are on the Ideal Protein products buy them from their local clinic, at the same time as they have their regular weekly weigh-ins. In the USA, the sign up process generally involves a medical examination and a form of 'clearance'. In Canada, we don't have to do that - just a discussion with our 'coach' of any medical issues, etc. a weight-in, measuring, etc., and sign-up. then generally regular weekly check-ins with their coach for general support, questions, weigh-in, etc.

It is possible to circumvent the above and buy IP products online through a website. If you decide you want to switch to IP for the duration of your trip, this could be an option in order to order some IP supplies. You could buy it online, and have it delivered to your destination in the USA. If you've visiting relatives, friends, or even staying at a hotel this could work. Just a thought. Anyway - here's the website.

http://buyproteinfood.com/index.php?

This is the 'real' IP products. Many of the dieters here follow the IP 'protocol' but (generally for reasons of expense) use a variety of alternate products. You can find lots of information about the alternative products many have used with equal success at a thread here that says something about 'Alternates'. Sorry - forget the exact wording. I know two of the favorite alternate products used are Pure Protein bars and EAS AdvantEDGE RTD shakes (both seem to be quite readily available at various major stores - places like Costco, Walmart, etc. throughout the USA). Here's the thread were a lot of 'alternate IP dieters' are talking about the various products they have found that 'fit' the protocol.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-here-26.html

Many IP posters here have travelled though, and taken their IP products with them successfully - so this may well be your best option, so you don't have to change your program 'in mid stream'. The thread included in the post above mine gives lots of useful information for those travelling with IP products.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Last edited by evepet; 05-04-2012 at 03:28 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #5  

Hi all,

thank you so much for the many links, I will get a long way with that info!

It really seems that IP is the one I am following here, same story, you can buy plenty of protein products/shakes at the pharmacist or big stores but the one I am following is only via a medical diet center with "clearance" and tests and weigh-ins. The products available at groceries are higher in carbs and lower in protein also much cheaper than the one's I use.

Many of you seem to be certain that I can check it in my luggage, I am really not that sure since my husband travels alot to the states and was picked out once because he brought cigars and another time because (in his checked in luggage) he packed Belgian Pralines :-) Really, I think it's easier to leave the states with products then to enter it when inter continental. I could try though, the medical diet center is ready to give me an MD prescription for my use of those products as well as my nutritional supplements. My biggest worry in all this is that I am travelling alone with my 2 kids (who are 3 and 6 years old) since husband will already be in the US by then and that if I am picked out, with the kids it's a disaster spending an hour or 2 in total check & control.

Thanks again for all you kindness and help!
Tigs
Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #6  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Tigs

You could also call US Customs and TSA as well as Belgium Coustoms Service.

Were the cigars Cuban? A big no no in the US. If you bring me some I will supply you with IP products of your choice. Just Kiding!

Some good info here. It is nice to print things and be able to quote the law just in case.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
Tigs

You could also call US Customs and TSA as well as Belgium Coustoms Service.

Were the cigars Cuban? A big no no in the US. If you bring me some I will supply you with IP products of your choice. Just Kiding!

Some good info here. It is nice to print things and be able to quote the law just in case.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm
No idea if they were Cuban :-)
Thank you for the link, I've just sent them an e-mail with my questions and I will contact the ambassy monday as well, need to be sure :-)