Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default To weigh or not to weigh...

That really is the question!

I'm one of the rare people here on this board who have avoided weighing on a regular basis. After being held hostage by a number on the scale for previous weight loss attempts, I find it a relief to not stress out with the daily fluctuations that you sometimes see on a regular weigh in. I'm curious to know my weight, but the curiosity doesn't consume me.

I was hoping to not weigh in again until July 18, my one-year mark. However, my company is starting a weight loss challenge next week for nearly 3 months, and I am thinking about participating. Participating means weighing in next week and in late July/early August, with weekly weigh ins not required (but weekly weigh ins give you a chance to win a prize).

On the "pro" side of weighing in, I do well when I challenge myself, so I could feel renewed by a new challenge. I also have a birthday next week and a two week vacation to Europe in late May and early June, so I might be slightly less likely to binge or totally lose control like I have done on other vacations. Being in a contest might make me feel more accountable while I'm gone. It probably wouldn't hurt to know whether I'm losing weight too fast, as I suspect I am.

On the "con" side, I don't really benefit much for weighing in. No big prize, no incentive to do well. I have done fine on motivation without the help of a scale. And I am so worried that my weight loss journey will start to become focused on the scale rather than my improved health and appearance. I don't want to become depressed if I have lost less than expected - that was the trigger for failure last time.

So should I weigh in or just keep living in ignorant bliss?
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #2  
Time For Change

S/C/G: see/ticker/:)

Height: 6'0"

To me, it seems like the pros out weigh the cons, but only do it if you're comfortable with the weekly weigh in. If it were me, I wouldn't be... but I'm highly self conscious.
ElociN2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

only you can really answer that question. is it going to stress you out to the point of insanity if you start weighing?

personally, i love weighing every morning and i even step on at night sometimes. but, i can look at that number on the scale and just shrug. i get a little upset if i shoot up a lb or two (or 3 or 4) but it just fuels my fire to get more serious if i see an increase.

good luck to you!!
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/221(restart)/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I used to let the scale control my life, but I think I'm starting to just trust in the process. Given how well you're doing, I would weigh in for the sake of competing, but just keep going about your day otherwise. Can you ask the person in charge of weighing everyone in at work to just record your weight and not tell you what it is?
Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #5  
Natural Diet Queen

S/C/G: 58/52/48

Height: 5'3

I would suggest to weigh yourself once a week so you are not derailed by daily fluctuations. When you weigh yourself, weigh yourself at the same time of the day, on the same day of the week, on the same scale and in the same clothes. It works!
hazyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #6  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Can you weigh in without finding out what your weight is? If not, I'd say don't risk it. If it did your head in last time, then it'll probably do it again.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

I read that regular weight monitoring is conducive to keeping weight off but if you have had success doing it you current way and don't want to stress, keep doing what you are doing and count your health as the prize.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 306/253/205

Height: 5' 10"

You have to do what is best for you!

I say that after being addicted to the scale and allowing it to set my mood for the day... if I was up or down. Then I didn't weigh for over a year and the saying that "ignorance is bliss" is wrong, I gained weight. So, now I face the scales each morning as I am doing this "Life Change Eating" program.
lilywinsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #9  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

You have to do what's best for you, but I'll tell you right now, NOT weighing periodically got me to 280. It creeps up on you without you realizing it. For me, the scale is my way to keep grounded.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #10  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

For me personally, I wouldn't monkey with what's working.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #11  
Crazygurl61

S/C/G: 165/154.7/115

Height: 5'2

Anytime I didn't weight regularly, I gained...but thats me- better to stick what works for you. :-)
crazygurl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Really interesting - lots of opinions on both sides

I wish someone else weighed us in so I wouldn't know, but it is self-reported. We are on the honor system.

I will think about it over the weekend and decide next week.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #13  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

In previous weight loss attempts I've found the scale was not my friend. It was an obsession. On the other hand, when I've not been trying to lose weight - by not weighing myself I was in denial.

I'm currently on a programme where we're not supposed to weigh ourselves except for once every two weeks. This feels about right to me. Enough to keep track of progress, but not so much that I get obsessed over daily fluctuations - which for me right now are huge because I'm doing tons of high sweat exercise. This means that when I'm a bit dehydrated I gain water weight (yeah, weird I know). This week I noticed my trousers were a bit tighter and upped the water and then they were quite loose again. I probably gained and lost between 5-10 lbs in a couple of days. That would have done my head in if I'd been on the scale.

It does mean I have to be extra conscience of my water when it comes to weigh-in day though.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote