Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/189/130

Height: 5'3"

Smile Hi... I'm new!

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. I was wondering if someone could possibly give me some advice on losing weight. My goal is to lose 60lbs before the end of the year (or even earlier ). As of yesterday, I have started going to the gym directly after work thus avoiding "I'll start tomorrow" syndrome. I am also watching what I eat by controling my portion size and counting calories.

My problem is that I tend to fail a lot after I set up long term goals. So, do you all have any suggestions of what I can do to avoid that? How do break up the main goal into short term goals? I really do want to go ahead and get the weight off for good this time but at the same time I don't want to set myself up for failure.

Any and all suggestions/advice is welcome.

P.S. I would love it someone would be willing to be a weight-loss buddy. We can motivate and keep each other in check
jainm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

You've definitely come to the right place; you'll find so much awesome support on here! I always do better when I join a forum where I have to stay accountable.

Since setting up long term goals can be daunting, why not break it up into mini goals? I have a 'reward chart' for myself for when I hit goals along the way. Bigger things like a massage at 10 pound marks, and smaller things like a CD on itunes for 5 pound marks. Or getting my nails done. Or buying new workout clothes. You get the idea.

If you want, you're just in time to join in the 90-day exercise challenge.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...ly-2012-a.html
It's my first time doing one.

Some advice that I think is important is to set realistic goals. Everyone hits plateaus. Most have setbacks along the way. It's important to stick with it.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Welcome to 3FC!!

One thing that really helped me throughout my weight loss was to put the long term goal on the backburner. It was still there (in my ticker for example) but I instead focused on the immediate. Every pound lost was a victory for me, and each time I had to update my ticker I was so happy. I hung around in the threads here for each decade of weight (for example there is a thread for people looking to get out of the 180s) and it was exciting to move into new threads and eventually into the featherweights section of the forum.

Before I knew it I hit and then blew past my goal. Instead of saying "OMG I'm so far!!" I said "yay! I'm getting closer!" and it made it a much easier process

Good luck!!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Definitely keep up with the board. Make yourself accountable to us. When I feel like I have someone watching out for me, I do soooo much better. So check in here daily, post, jump on a challenge or two. When you feel like having chips or candy, just log onto the site and read a success story or look at a before and after shot of someone you consider an inspiration to you. Use this forum as much as you need in order to keep yourself on track.

I think Quiet Ballerina has it right. I've found that when I give myself a mini goal and only focus on that goal, it makes things seem a lot more manageable. So right now, I have my first mini goal as losing 11 lbs, with the reward as a 1 hour massage. With the amount of stress I have in my life, that's more than a reward! So don't focus on that daunting 60 lb goal. It'll seem too far and like too much work. Break it down into smaller numbers. 5, 10, 15 lb intervals.

Ok I think I've rambled enough. Good luck!
redrose8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #5  
Crazygurl61

S/C/G: 165/154.7/115

Height: 5'2

Welcome! 3FC has been great for me!

Here is some advice:

1) Find a plan that works for you and stick to it. Sounds like you are a calorie counter, so make time each day to chart your calories, you can even post them here if you want, and that will help you keep accountable.

2) Since it's May 1st, it might just be the perfect time to join a daily weigh in thread. It's a nice way to see progress and keep everyone accountable.

3) Make smaller goals, for every 5 to 10 lbs maybe, instead of one huge goal. Mini-Goals make everything seem do-able!

4) Also someone else said it above, but joining a thread (Like "get me out of the 140's!) and posting there made me more motivated to focus on the goal and move to the 130's thread. Now that I'm on that thread, I can't wait to go to the next thread!

5) Joining a weight loss challenge is also a great one...makes it much more fun and the ladies here are great motivators!

PM Me if you need a buddy, welcome and good luck!
crazygurl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/189/130

Thank you all for a wonderful welcome and for the awesome ideas!

Setting up mini goals is a good idea. I now just have to come up with my "rewards"

I am just hoping and praying that I stick to it this time. I have to make sure that I am motivated and stay in it for the long haul!
jainm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Height: 5'10"

This site really helps staying motivated and staying in it for the long haul. When I was a member a long time ago, I was able to have no cheat days for a month and I lost 30 pounds (over a few months). I would come to this board a bunch of times every day. It really helps talking to people about your goals and successes and failures. There is a lot of encouragement here! Good Luck!
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #8  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

I'd start by identifying your barriers. In other words, specifically why do you fail a lot when you set up long term goals. What happens? After that, develop strategies to deal with those situations in ways that don't involve putting food in your mouth.

If you're measuring weight loss on the scale, you could just pick some numbers that are meaningful to you as far as mini-goals. However, I'd recommend focusing on daily calorie intake goals and letting the weight loss take care of itself (which it will if you're at a deficit every day). Good luck.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote