General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default What did you eat as a kid? (pics inside)

Here are some of the foods I ate as a kid
Got free lunch as a kid-so lots of Guida chocolate milk, canned peaches, chicken nuggets w/ bbq sauce
Bread...slathered with butter, sprinkled with sugar

Condensed milk
My dad used to dip chopsticks in honey and give it to me

I used to feel so embarassed that I hated pizza day because the dough was uncooked but everyone else liked it so I pretended to too lol. Its not until now that I am OK with having different tastes...altho I crave that pizza now for some reason.
My mother was never taught how to cook and my father only knew his cooking from a Chinese restaurant, so I grew up also eating the dishes that they would serve to customers- roasted duck, fried chicken, red color pork (chai siu...?), and buttery pastries.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I'm not sure what that last thing is, but it looks pretty good!

Those school lunches are interesting.....

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I'm not sure what that last thing is, but it looks pretty good!
Oh me too! I wanna eat that for my breakfast right now! Om nom nom!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Oh man Asian bakery goods. Nothing good can ever come of that.

When I was a kid I ate Kraft mac and cheese and Pasta-Roni for breakfast - like a whole box. I'd go out to dinner and my go-to would be fettucine Alfredo or some kind of giant pasta dish. I drank a big cup of Sprite before bed every single night. I distinctly remember eating more than everybody else.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #5  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I recognize the Danish Butter cookies in the firs pic, we had those at Christmas in hampers all the time. They sold them year round but my mom never really bought them.

We ate sweet white bread with butter or jam, fried ripe plantains with fried potatoes and ketchup, Milo (a chocolate, malt sort beverage that is fortified with everything on the planet) or Ovaltine with milk and sugar, Scottish shortbread cookies, plantain chips, boiled peanuts, sugar canes, sausage rolls, crisp fried dough, steamed or fried bean cakes, Ribena (heavy on the concentrate light on the water) although that went for all squash-type drinks.... And these were just the snack type foods... We never had soda though, only on birthdays and Christmas...
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

I definitely remember that last cream puff pastry all too well. My mother and I shared a mutual love for asian bakeries when I was younger...

I once ate a jar about three times this size in one sitting and my father reamed me out in front of the whole family.

A summertime staple for me, back in the day

Last edited by summerlove; 05-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I ate lots of mac and cheeses with cut up hotdogs inside. Hot dogs with baked beans, grilled cheese sandwiches made with Velveeta and such for summer lunches. During the school year, it was whatever the cafeteria lunch was.

Dinners were a mix of things - tuna casserole, spaghetti, fried potatoes and pork chops and canned veggies, chili.

I was a child of the 70s in the midwest. It also meant in summer a lot of fresh veggies from the garden.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i grew up with my family on an alaskan homestead far away from all big cities....the nearest "town" had about 800 ppl in it and that was a 60 mile drive away...we ate alot of what we grew, what the neighbors gave us, and what could be shelf-stable for a long time...once a year we made the 7-hour drive to the biggest alaskan city, anchorage, and stocked up on everything else...

mom cooked all our food as we stayed on the homestead and were home-schooled by her...dad worked in town 60 miles away and was gone for the whole week, home on weekends...we ate mac n cheese, fried egg sandwiches, rice and beans, liver and onions, lettuce, fresh potatoes and ketchup, treats from town like ice cream and sugar daddy candies...i remember eating the sugar daddies and also mom giving us some frosting for a treat....chocolate frosting on graham crackers....we ate lots of beans that mom soaked overnight...

and FISH...So Much Fish....yummmm....dad fished every chance he got...plus neighbors gave us lots of fish from their fishwheels...anyone know what a fishwheel is? lol....we smoked salmon, baked it, grilled it, froze it to eat during the winter....i dont remember mom doing any canning though...fresh-caught wild alaskan salmon was a staple for us
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #9  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

When I was 5 I used to make Kraft cheese slices and mustard on bread for breakfast haha sooooo good when I was 5....sooooo disgusting now!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #10  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

We always have a box of those Danish biscuits around Christmas too. I remember eating all the pretzel sugar ones and then looking underneath the first layer for the rest. Then I'd move onto the horse shoe ones. Yum yum.

For dinners we ate a lot of sausages with pasta and a generic tomato sauce. With a (not so) healthy layer of cheese on top. Yum yum.

I could sit and eat these all day... it's dangerous to let me near a multipack of crisps. Dangerous I tells ya!

Sugar on toast as a treat.

This thread is making me so hungry

pixellate: that pastry looks delicious.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

We didn't eat a lot of packaged foods as a kid and my adult foods weren't much different than my kid foods.

Things from the garden (ours, neighbors, family)
Zucchini, lots of zucchi, in many, many ways. Zucchini bread, zucchini sauteed and sprinkled with cheese, etc.
Pomegranates
Oranges
Loquats
Berries
Pumpkin (pumpkin seeds, pumpkin bread)

The one thing that we had that was special was probably homemade cinnamon rolls that my mom used to make.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #12  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

My mom always cooked every meal from scratch for us but I ate SO much of it. Also, just because it was cooked from scratch, doesn't mean it was incredibly healthy!

My downfall was when I started to spend some time at friends houses. I ate tons of velveeta, mint chocolate chip ice cream, cakes, cookies, etc. My naturally thin friend stayed thin no matter what. I blew up like a balloon. :P
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I ate lots of mac and cheeses with cut up hotdogs inside. Hot dogs with baked beans, grilled cheese sandwiches made with Velveeta and such for summer lunches. During the school year, it was whatever the cafeteria lunch was.

Dinners were a mix of things - tuna casserole, spaghetti, fried potatoes and pork chops and canned veggies, chili.

I was a child of the 70s in the midwest. It also meant in summer a lot of fresh veggies from the garden.
I'm not from the midwest, but otherwise had similar 70s meals. Now I'm craving beanie weanies. I'm almost tempted to go out and get some veggie dogs to see if that meal is as good as I remember. I still hate canned peas though.

No school cafeteria though, so packed lunch was usually a pbj or bologna sandwich, pudding cup back when they were metal with a pull tab or cookies, and an apple.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #14  

Height: 5'2"

i definitely had a lot of these from the local deli:

BUTTERED ROLL, BABY. jersey/ny thing.

about a million of these:

i think they were like 25 cents each or something.

in high school..when i didn't worry about my weight and was somehow magically skinny this was my lunch every. day.

a giant pretzel. not just a giant pretzel, but a cheese product-filled giant pretzel.

lunch dessert, obviously

washed down with sugar, of course

don't get me wrong..i also ate spinach as a kid because i saw my dad & popeye doing it. bugs bunny also got me eating carrots. and i loved peas. mom would make cauliflower with cheese sauce. lots of homemade stuff too...calzones, hungarian goulash, kielbasa, baked chicken, etc...

Last edited by valalltogether; 05-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Breakfast usually was skipped, but if not, sugary cereals like Froot Loops, Capt'n Crunch, that reese's chocolate/peanut butter cereal, etc.

Lunch throughout elementary school was either a packed peanut butter & jelly sandwich or turkey and cheese sandwich, and packs of "fruit snacks"(sugary gelatin-based fruit flavored gummies), potato chips, pretzels.. etc. and Hostess Cupcakes or Twinkies or something similar. Sometimes we payed for the school lunches, which were stuff like chicken fingers, pizza, and hot dogs.

My mother worked and was usually too exhausted by the time she came home to want to cook, so dinner was often McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell, Burger King, pizza..

When she did cook, it was really heavy stuff: chicken alfredo with lots of parmesan and heavy cream and white pasta, lasagna, chicken kievs that were LOADED with butter, ground beef tacos or burgers. Nary a vegetable in sight.

During summers and such when I had to fend for myself during the day, it was Kraft Mac & Cheese, frozen taquitos, grilled cheese sandwiches, canned soup, frozen pizzas.

Sometimes my mother made some of her infamous(I don't mean they were bad, they were really delicious, and really bad for you) desserts.. her chocolate chip cookies, brownies, blueberry cobbler, and so on.

And we always had packaged cookies, ice cream, and other such things in the house.

Drinks were Pepsi, Capri Sun, Sprite, Mtn Dew, chocolate milk, and sometimes fruit juice. I've been told a million times by my mother how mad she was at my father for putting Pepsi in my bottle as a baby(he thought it'd be funny) and I'm guessing that had something to do with why I refused to drink plain water all throughout childhood. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

The only thing out of this list that I still consume is the fruit juice, and that's as a treat! Oh, and I do make vegan versions of the desserts sometimes.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote