General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Are you an expert in.....taking skinny headshots of yourself?

Do you know all the tricks in how to take a "skinny" photo of yourself to post on Facebook or use for avatars even if you are overweight? I ask because I got really good at taking pictures (shoulders and above) of myself that hid my chins and gave me cheekbones. I think that some people who hadn't seen me in real life for awhile might not have known how much weight I had gained based on the photos I took of myself for web sites. Of course, looking back on those photos now, my face seems so much wider and I can see how I was shooting the camera from a higher angle that avoided showing under my chin, etc.

So, are any of you masters of camera angles, photshop, sucking in your cheeks, etc? What are some of your tricks?
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I hate taking my own picture, I feel so silly most of the time that if I take a picture it never sees the light of day. The ones that do, however, are purposely angled to hide flaws - that's generally how photography works and not just for people looking to hide a few pounds.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Yeah! Check these out - in one I was 25-30 lbs heavier than the other, but you'd never know. In fact I bet you can't even tell.

krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #4  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

krampus you are stunning!

I'm crap at taking pictures of myself so I rarely do it but when I did it was always just of my face. Not from very high up but just slightly higher than straight on...works like a charm
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #5  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I am an expert! In my first year of grad school I once took a head shot where I looked sooooo pretty that I didn't recognize myself. And neither did anyone else. Even family. (I'm not saying I'm "ugly" but I'm NOT THAT pretty and even now 100 lbs down my face isnt THAT skinny!) First I got, "who's that?!" (everyone) Then I got "why do you never look like that? If you can look like that, why don't you?" (oh cousins!) Then I got "OMG when did you look like that?! you were hot!" (Friends!) And my personal facourite, my brother ("This looks nothing like you and ive known you since birth so I KNOW"). It was my Facebook avatar for a while but eventually I realized it was a little ridiculous since all of my friends on Facebook actually know me and what I look like and knew that looked nothing like me.

My secret to a skinny headshot is holding the camera at an angle that is higher than you. The shot is never from below or from face level, always from above. Of course never include shoulders and bosom if you can help it. It widens you. And of course the good old angled head is a friend. One might have to use trial by error to get their best angle, which means maybe 10 shots and you get one good angle. No neck means no chins, and a smile (just enough to thin out the lower face and jaw without getting into cherubism territory) or a cute or cheeky look to add some interest. Oversized sunglasses help make the face look skinnier and with bright lipstick, looks likemyou have a life more tham sitting in your bedroom (or worse bathroom) taking self portraits. After all it takes a lot of work to look NOTHING like yourself in pictures.

It's kind of sad to think of now and I still don't think I'm photogenic but it's what it is. I'll still delete an unflattering face picture. But then I'd delete an unflattering picture of anyone, I'm not that mean. I'm also no longer willing to contort myself just so in order not to look like myself. I try to smile in pictures. That always helps.

Krampus: Please which is which. I actually can't tell.
LeilaJay: was the pic you posted in the 20-something's photo thread a self portrait. You're stunning. And very photogenic if you're crap at self-portraits.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 04-30-2012 at 01:05 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sorry, I suck at it. My headshots almost always make me look heavier, not lighter! Oh well
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

@toastedsmoke

I'd guess the second is of her when she was heavier because her face looks a little fuller. But if she hadn't posted the first I would have guessed that she weighed no more than 130 if even that.

But that's just my guess.

Last edited by Nadya; 04-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #8  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

@Nadya

Now that you point it out, I kind of see what you mean. But yeah there definitely doesn't seem to be 25-30 lb difference between the two. I too wouldn't have guessed more than 120 if that.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #9  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

LOL it's my job Literally, I'm a portrait photog.

Yes, raising the camera higher is critical! In my avatar, I lowered my chin and stuck it out a bit to hide any double chin... then I chose a processing that was a little 'hot' (think more light, a tad overexposed' to help take attention off the huge nose. I took 15 images to get that one ::blush::. Just keep experimenting with camera angles and expression until you get what you like. I became a photog partly because I figured out that I could avoid being IN FRONT of the camera by being BEHIND it!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Yup, see avatar picture, people didn't recognize me when I put this as my facebook photo (it helps that i had professionally done hair and makeup it was a pamper myself day) the only way I know it wasn't only the photo angle is that day people IRL told me I looked "Really good... no like you look REALLY good". I wish I could do it myself the hair I can get close but it takes 45 minutes which I never want to put in. And the makeup I can never quite get THAT perfect. It was like a photoshopped version of me (but walking around and I didn't use any maniuplations on the actual picture). LOL
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedsmoke View Post
Please which is which. I actually can't tell.
Haha, the first I was about 155. The second I was 125. I am EXTREMELY photogenic, I've had internet dates be really disappointed when meeting me!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

krampus - Wow! I can't tell that there is any weight difference between the two photos. You look great in both!

I am so glad I'm not alone! I haven't taken a photo of myself in ages (I am no longer on Facebook or any social websites other than 3FC). I do have some video of myself both before and after - the videos are more accurate at representing what I really look like than still shots. It is sad to think of all the time I spent trying to make myself look as unlike myself as possible. It's cool to think that one day I will be able to take a normal photo with no manipulations and like what I see - no need to go into contortions or take multiple shots at multiple angles - I will be fine with I actually look like!

Last edited by guacamole; 04-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

Krampus, I would have guessed the 2nd one was at a heavier weight. The ONLY reason being you were "hiding" behind the plate Otherwise, you look great in both pics.

I have recently (like a week ago) discovered my *good* side is from the left when my daughter took a random picture of me. I never knew I could look so good. My dear aunt, told me a long time ago that I'm not very photogenic. (gee thanks) Although, I do think she meant it as I was much better in person, but I do tend to agree with her. Never have liked pics of me. I am now experimenting with the whole left side and holding the camera slightly up now and getting not bad results.
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #14  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Sorry, I suck at it. My headshots almost always make me look heavier, not lighter! Oh well
Ditto for me!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/220/130

Height: 5'3

My Avatar isn't shopped and was taken head on. I feel bad but I must confess to my friends here on 3FC that I Photoshop all of my pictures on Facebook. I mean, if Victoria's Secret can do it...then...well...just call mine Amanda's Secret
Murrishmo is offline   Reply With Quote