General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Well, seems I have a "true" shoulder injury

I went to bodystep yesterday after taking two weeks off from it (as I also had a neck sprain injury). I had been walking throughout, and so the class was fine - like I didn't even take a break.

But, I rode my bike later and when I started pulling the cart for groceries that I use to attach to my bike, my shoulder, which I thought was mostly better, started aching.

Then this morning all I did was lift my teen's heavy backpack and carry it about 10 steps and 90 minutes later AND with ibuprofen, my shoulder is still aching. No more strength training for me until I figure out what is up with my shoulder.

I don't even remember INJURING my shoulder! How can that be???? (Though, now that I think about it, I did grab that grocery cart and tried to turn it the wrong way and it wrenched my shoulder in a weird way and was a bit painful the same day it started hurting later in the day.)

So, on Monday I'll call a sports medicine doctor to figure out what to do from there. Wah!!! I LOVE strength training and I miss it! So does my body!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re

wonder if some how it's related to the neck sprain - maybe some of the muscles are related

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I have been working with an injured shoulder now for a few weeks. The original injury is old, and I only recently reinjured it by stupidly trying to push weight over my head, which I know I can't do. One thing I did do last time, and need to do this time, is to strengthen the rotator cuff. My doctor gave me exercises that are really simple, and when the pain dies down a bit, and you can lift your arm without excruciating pain, maybe you could try those. Just look 'em up online. One is as simple as walking your arm up the wall using your fingers. The others are done using just your arm or a really light weight (like 1lb). I have continued to work out lifting, just not doing things that make the shoulder do weird things, and I keep my arms close to my body, as raising my arms to the side causes clicking and popping. In my case, the doctor told me I could work out, so long as I felt no pain during the workout or really bad afterwards. I feel like making the muscles surrounding the shoulder work might be helping me (rhomboids). If you don't mind me asking, where do you have pain? If you go to a sports med doc, please post and let me know what they say, as I'd be in interested in adding something new. And don't forget to ice it! Feel better.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I have empathy for the shoulder pain.

I lived with shoulder pain for months, close to a year actually. My Dr. did not take it all that seriously. The only relief I had was from deep massage. I remember feeling an odd ripping sensation in that shoulder but Dr. probably thought I was crazy. Turns out I have a torn rotator cuff. After two treatments of prednisone injections it is much better. I can sleep on it now! The injury for me happened from over use of the one arm when I had broken the other.

Of course your pain could be any number of things but so great you are pursuing getting help.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #5  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I hope it is nothing serious! Injuries are never fun :/ try to take it easy and ice if it is swollen.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I hope youf can figure out what's going on, on Monday. Good luck and heal quickly!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

My husband is so sweet. While at bodypump on Saturday, he asked the instructor if he had any recs for sports medicine. He said he didn't, but that the front desk gets asked those questions a lot and would probably be able to help. So, he went upstairs and asked the front desk staff. They said the personal trainers recommend a physical therapy group based out of one of the gyms for a consult so that they can tell me the best route to go depending on the symptoms of the injury.

So, that's what I'll do. Shoulder is still achy.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Be sure to tell them about your neck also. I was having severe shoulder pain and it was from a pinched nerve in my neck.

Hope you get some relief soon!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote