Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Still no luck...

So I posted before about being stuck and decided to try calorie cycling. I've done it for 2 weeks now and I'm still stuck. I went down to 201 for 1 day and then went right back to 202 and thats where I've stayed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My calorie averages for the end of both weeks were 1,300 which should be making me lose a pound or two a week. I do get exercise, too. I walk to class all the time and have been also using my elliptical a few times a week. I tend to eat a few more calories on the days I use the elliptical so that I'm not falling below 1,200 for the day. The only thing I drink is water and a bit of lemonade that I have to have for health reasons. I thought calorie cycling would push my body out of this rut but it just hasn't. I don't understand why it seems like it's stopped working lately. Doing exactly what I'm doing now is how I lost the 24 pounds I have. It just feels like the past few months I get stuck at a weight for a really long time..lose a single pound and get stuck again.

I've considered seeing my doctor, but I'm sorta resisting. I really hate having to be on any medication. It's also hard for me to believe that I could suddenly have a thyroid issue or something when I was perfectly fine only a few months ago.

I've also considering buying a scale to weigh the foods I'm eating to be absolutely sure of the calories I'm eating. I've heard that the weights of pre packaged foods can be off by enough so that I could be eating a few extra hundred calories a day and not know, but even if i were off buy a couple hundred calories a day I'd be eating 1,600 at most and should still be losing some weight.

I just don't know what to do and could definitely use some advice. To a degree I hate to change what worked for 24 pounds, but it's clearly not working right now so I'm open to trying something different. Thanks for any help!
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, I don't think 2 weeks is long enuff to see if there will be a change. I think that at least 6 weeks would be better. I think that you should be eating around 1800 calories a day for a 1 lb week loss (although the science is not exact). Some people have more success on lower calories (1200-1400), but others have to up them (1500-1700). You actually may be eating too low.

However, you should get a scale and be sure to measure your food for the next couple of months to make sure you are accurate, but you may only be off about 100 calories. Once you determine whether that is an issue or not, then I would continue cycling for a longer time before throwing in the towel. I would also throw a higher calorie day in there at least once a week (1800), and see if that helps too.

You'll have to experiment a bit to see what helps. You could also start lifting weights a couple of times a week; and do interval walking EOD to see if that helps. You have many options that you can try, but you have to give it more time than just 2 weeks ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #3  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re;

Are there calories in the lemonade you may be missing?
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #4  

Vex - I drink minute maid light lemonade and the can says there's 5 calories.

Justwant2Bhealthy - I guess I was hoping that with 2 weeks of calorie cycling that it might get me unstuck in that length of time. I thought it'd be reasonable to expect to see at least a little bit of a budge on the scales, but if anything it seems like its slowly creeping upwards. I've been stuck at 202 for 3-4 weeks now. I do have higher days thrown in since I'm cycling..so like Friday I had 1,700. Most BMR calculators actually tell me that 1,800 is maintenance for me. I have tried increasing my calories for a while to see if that would work, but ended up gaining a pound so that was enough to scare me off back down to 1,200/1,300. I just feel like if I keep the calorie cycling up for 4 more weeks to give it a chance to work...if I don't lose anything I'll just feel like I just wasted a whole month and a half.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
I just feel like if I keep the calorie cycling up for 4 more weeks to give it a chance to work...if I don't lose anything I'll just feel like I just wasted a whole month and a half.
I find that funny -- becuz if it works, you haven't wasted any time at all. If you don't try it, time will pass anyways and you'll still be stuck right where you are ...

You say that "most" BMR calculators say 1800 is your maintenance at 202 lbs. Even if you calculated at the lowest rate that would be 10 x 202 = 2020 but you are not sedentary. You walk around; and you do elliptical 3 times a week; so I calulated you at 12 x 202 = 2424 - 500 = 1924 for a 1 lb per week loss. For 1.5 lbs a week, that would be 1674 calories a day.

You know, these BMR calculators are just rough guesstimates; and they often contradict each other too. So I don't put much faith in them. That's why I use the forumla above (I found it in a book somewhere). It is a good an estimate as any.

I find that too many people here want to lose all the weight overnight. The faster you lose it, the faster you can gain it back too. You have hit a stall, but you may still be losing fat, inches, sizes, etc. Sometimes, the only thing you have to do is "wait" -- or give it a little more "time" ... as I said.

You have many options you can try:

1 -- cycle calories for at least 3-6 weeks
2 -- high - low : high day; low day (1800:1200)
3 -- lower calories; or increase them
4 -- lower your grain carb intake for a few weeks
5 -- increase your protein & veggies
6 -- try intermittent fasting
7 -- lift heavy weights 2 days a week
8 -- try interval walking
9 -- try jogging/running
10 -- just wait it out

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-29-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Investing in a food scale wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you are unsure whether some of your current measurements are correct. You may also look into the ratios of your macro-nutrients (carbs, protein, and fat). I don't lose very well when eating a lot of carbs so I keep them much lower than my protein and fat. It wouldn't hurt anything to try to swap out a few higher carb/starchy foods with some options higher in protein to see if that can't get you back into a downward trend.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
I find that funny -- becuz if it works, you haven't wasted any time at all. If you don't try it, time will pass anyways and you'll still be stuck right where you are ...

You say that "most" BMR calculators say 1800 is your maintenance at 202 lbs. Even if you calculated at the lowest rate that would be 10 x 202 = 2020 but you are not sedentary. You walk around; and you do elliptical 3 times a week; so I calulated you at 12 x 202 = 2424 - 500 = 1924 for a 1 lb per week loss. For 1.5 lbs a week, that would be 1674 calories a day.

You know, these BMR calculators are just rough guesstimates; and they often contradict each other too. So I don't put much faith in them. That's why I use the forumla above (I found it in a book somewhere). It is a good an estimate as any.

I find that too many people here want to lose all the weight overnight. The faster you lose it, the faster you can gain it back too. You have hit a stall, but you may still be losing fat, inches, sizes, etc. Sometimes, the only thing you have to do is "wait" -- or give it a little more "time" ... as I said.

You have many options you can try:

1 -- cycle calories for at least 3-6 weeks
2 -- high - low : high day; low day (1800:1200)
3 -- lower calories; or increase them
4 -- lower your grain carb intake for a few weeks
5 -- increase your protein & veggies
6 -- try intermittent fasting
7 -- lift heavy weights 2 days a week
8 -- try interval walking
9 -- try jogging/running
10 -- just wait it out
I'll probably try waiting it out because I keep switching to different methods trying to see if anything will jolt my body into losing again. I know for a fact that 1,900 calories will make me gain weight...that's how I put on the extra 20 pounds to begin with. Not having faith in BMR calculators is one reason why I tried doing my calories pretty low...which was working up until a couple months ago. I just hate faithfully doing everything I should be to lose weight and seeing no results. I think everyone on this website would agree that having to watch what you eat and exercise just really sucks and its even worse when seeing no results. I don't expect over night results...it took me 6 months to lose the 24 pounds that I did and I'm ok with that. Losing slow is perfectly fine with me I just hate when it completely freezes like this despite all my efforts. I have a record of all my measurements...things like neck, waist, hips, thighs, calves, arms and they've all also stayed the same for the past several months. I guess I'll just keep waiting it out..its just frustrating knowing that summer is on its way and I'd really like to be at a lower weight to feel comfortable in a bathing suit. Feels like time is running out for that. I was hoping for 180 by mid summer..which was doable a few months ago at the rate I've been going but now I pretty much know that in order to reach that I'd have to lose way faster than I was previously.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
Investing in a food scale wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you are unsure whether some of your current measurements are correct. You may also look into the ratios of your macro-nutrients (carbs, protein, and fat). I don't lose very well when eating a lot of carbs so I keep them much lower than my protein and fat. It wouldn't hurt anything to try to swap out a few higher carb/starchy foods with some options higher in protein to see if that can't get you back into a downward trend.
I have definitely wondered about decreasing carbs like that. I keep reading articles saying that, while its better to eat healthier foods and will result in a more "fit" body, you can eat any type of food you want as long as you're not going over the calorie goal. So that sorta shot down the idea of cutting out more carbs but maybe I'll try it anyway.

I really think I will get a food scale when I can. I was looking on QVC and found a few there between 30-50 bucks. Seems a bit expensive, but if it helps get me back to losing itd be worth it. I just can't decide on what type to get. Some just measure the weight while others claim to calculate calories for you...I'm not sure I'd trust the one that calculates it for you.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Could have posted this. Been stuck for a week at 203. Being close to 200 and not being able to get past it is driving me bonkers.
erh12275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh12275 View Post
Could have posted this. Been stuck for a week at 203. Being close to 200 and not being able to get past it is driving me bonkers.
It's so frustrating! Hopefully you'll have better luck than me and not get stuck for about a month :/
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #11  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

That 200 barrier is hard to break...I hovered between 200-202 for awhile when starting back up again. You've already lost 25 pounds. Give your body a chance to catch up. If your still stalled after 6 weeks then it might be time to change something. But it sounds like your eating at a deficit and getting exercise. It'll come off. If you don't feel hungry and are satisfied, then your calories are fine. It seems a little low for your height(I was stalled at 1600 and up to 1800 to lose again) but to each their own

Good luck. Hopefully you'll get a big woosh soon

Last edited by baker23; 04-29-2012 at 03:27 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #12  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

If it helps, I spent a LOT of time just hovering outside Onederland. I was on the 2-teens to Onederland Thread over on the 100-lb club board, it was pretty common. It does suck, I know.

Also, if you're not using a food scale, I definitely think you should look into it. You'd be amazed at the difference in weights of even foods like pre-packaged chicken breasts and that can make a difference. I started out using just cups and spoons to measures and I found out how much I was overestimating sometimes once I got a scale. It doesn't matter so much at higher weight but eventually it catches up with you. I got mine for under 10 bucks at Walmart.

Another thing to try is low carb. Having done a 2 week low carb blast (a la SBD Phase 1), I KNOW that my body likes low carb. I lose faster and more evenly on it etc. However, I don't enjoy being low carb, I find it restrictive and I decided pretty early on that I wouldn't do anything that I would not be able to sustain. Thus, I traded off faster results for a plan I felt was sustainable to me. That might be something for you to consider: if a low-carb plan would help you in any way.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volschika007 View Post
It's so frustrating! Hopefully you'll have better luck than me and not get stuck for about a month :/
Not sure I could be patient for a month. I am going to start going back to the gym every day starting tomorrow(not feeling well and hoping that will help.)
erh12275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #14  

Thanks for all the advice If I can find a good deal on a scale i'll definitely invest in one. I have a hard time sticking to low carb for any extended period of time but I may try it for as long as I can to see if I can get any sort of result from that. Other than that I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope it starts to come off again sometime soon
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

A somewhat controversial approach but cheat days followed by a low calorie or fast day is supposed to help keep your metabolism guessing. When you are staying at the same calorie level especially such a low calorie level your body gets used to it and it because much harder to continue to lose. Calories cycling is one thing but a full out cheat day where you don't track a thing followed by a fast day is a great recipe for getting over a plateau.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote