Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #1  

Question Sugar from fruit?

Last edited by girlonfire; 02-14-2013 at 04:49 AM.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #2  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I've lost the weight I have and I haven't stopped eating fruit. It's all in how your body responds to it.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Here's the thing, calories are calories when it comes down to it. If you like fruit, eat fruit. BUT fruit has a ton more health benefits than, say, a donut. Maybe they have the same calorie and sugar count (just a hypothetical, I know most donuts have way more sugar and calories) but the fruit will actually benefit your body, whereas the donut will not do a whole lot except just provide calories.

Are you doing low carb or something to do with your blood sugar, is that why you are counting sugar grams?

Fruit will not hinder weight loss (for MOST people, some people swear fruit makes them gain no matter what), as long as the calories from the fruit aren't putting you over your calorie budget for the day.

I don't see any reason to completely cut out a healthy food like fruit just because of the sugar grams!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #4  

Last edited by girlonfire; 02-14-2013 at 04:49 AM.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I definitely understand the sugar thing. I've recently decided to cut processed foods, and anything with added sugar out because I tend to overeat those things. I haven't been perfect, but I sure feel a heck of a lot better!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Unless you're going for specifically low/no carb I'd say you're doing the smartest possible thing: monitoring and tracking sugar, while not rejecting naturally occurring delicious fruit sugar. It varies a lot from fruit to fruit too, you know?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

In some ways, the fruit in sugar is different than processed sugar, and in other ways, sugar is sugar.

I find that even the sugar in fruit tends to fuel my sweet tooth and increases my hunger. That doesn't mean I avoid fruit, but I do consider the sugar content.

Eating fruit with protein or fat tends to have a lower impact on my blood sugar, so it keeps me full longer.

I have to be more careful with dried fruit, because the sugar is more concentrated.

I usually avoid fruit juice, because without the fiber, it's much less filling.

Some fruits I can overeat more easily than others. The high water, high fiber, lower sugar fruits are the most filling and cause the least rebound hunger.

A lot of people don't have to watch fruit, but others do. In most cases I don't gain weight from fruit, but I definitely have stalled my weight loss on fruit. I've even stalled on all fruit diets (with or without avocado).

I need a calorie couting aspect (I use a reduced carb exchange plan to control both calories and carbs. Controlling carbs, controls hunger for me, so just for that reason it makes sense to limit carbs - even healthy ones) like the sugars in fruits.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Sugars are a trigger for me - but not all sugars are. Banana sugar yes. Why? Bananas are low in fiber and high in sugar. Apples? Oranges? Strawberries? Naw. I can eat those (and usually paired with a protein) and be just fine.

But it all depends on you. Sugar that comes from fruit also comes with nutrients. A bag of candy does not.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #9  

Depends on your goals I guess. I was able to lose weight on cals alone-I could keep flour/sugar etc in my diet and lose weight, but I cut down on the fruit so I could eat more veg (keeps me more satiated than fruit) so my cal intake was still at the same deficit. If you want to cut down on sugar, that is one thing-perhaps limiting or cutting out fruit can be good, but if you want to lose weight, unless you have overeating issues with fruit, I don't see a problem with keeping fruit in your diet. If you want less sugar intake as well as weight loss then you can eat a deficit and cut down on the fruit. You can do anything, depending on the result you want.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

I have been eating a banana practically everyday as my mid-morning snack and am losing. I don't know how much weight because I've sworn off the scale for 5 weeks, but I've been measuring myself so I know it's working. Also, my clothes are bigger. I have a sweet tooth, but the banana has been helping, not hurting. Also, bananas are high in potassium, which helps flush out the extra sodium in your body that can cause water weight gain.
SensualSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I think it all boils down to how your body likes/dislikes fruit/sugar.

For me. Fruit screws me up. It plays havoc with my blood sugar and hunger levels. Bananas and Apples are really big enemies. I like them, my body does NOT LIKE them.

As much as like fruit, and would like to eat more of it, it just does not work for me. I can eat it, and 10 minutes later, I'm shaking and starving.

As long as I stick to lean protein, veggies, whole grain and a tater here and there, I'm good.

What it boils down to, is listening to your body, and hear what it is telling you.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote