Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #1  

Default Feeling Sad Tonight

My oldest daughter is moving out tonight and I'm feeling a little down. I'm very excited for her, she's got a good job and is getting her own apartment, but I"m also a little sad. She's my oldest and my first to move out. I'm not very good at this "letting go" stuff, and I'm also not good about keeping my mouth shut. I keep giving her advice and trying to keep her from making mistakes, but of course I have to let her make her own mistakes.

Of course my first reaction to all of this is to eat. I'm feeling the urge to splurge all afternoon. I did eat an extra Pria bar this afternoon, so that's an extra 110 calories, but that's nothing compared to what my splurges used to be like!! I'm trying to stay busy and not snack or go crazy, but it could be a long night!!

Thanks for listening. You guys are great!!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Sorry to here your feeling sad. Sounds like a good reason though. You can do it. Don't give in. You know you will feel so much better in the morning if you don't. I have a feeling this is what a lot of us have to get under control. The emotional eating is a killer. You can do it.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:59 PM   #3  

Oh mothergoose! I feel for you! I cannot even concieve the notion of one of my kids not being where i can make sure they are ok! My six year old tells me he is never moving away from me he is going to buy the house next door so he is close to me forever. I told him he will feel differently when he is older. Just a thought of something you could do to keep busy is write her a letter telling her how you feel and all the advice you would have like to give and then when she has children you could give her the letter.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I like Julie's idea about the letter. That way you can get everything you'd like to say down on paper, w/o the eye rolling & the "Oh, Mom!".

You will get through this. A Pria bar is an ok treat.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:55 PM   #5  
Searching

I am sorry your feeling down lady. We are here to listen.

Miss Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 12:43 AM   #6  
on my way down!

I am sorry that your feeling down, i was the first child to fly the nest so to speak last year and i know my mum still finds it really hard...i moved about a 4 hour drive a way...

I know that i dont know what its like for the mother but moving out of home isent easy for us eaither i miss my mum daily and im sure your daughter will be the same
Old 08-15-2003, 06:52 AM   #7  

I'm sorry you're down, MotherGoose! And I'm proud of you for catching yourself with the tendency to eat away the sorrow. I hope you got through the rest of the evening without overeating, but if you didn't, remember today's a new day!

I hope everything looks better when the sun comes up.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:56 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sorry your blue

This is new territory - following your program during an emotional and transitional time. It sounds as if you are doing the right things, coming here...talking yourself through it. I also think the letter sounds like a great idea!

Feel Better!
Old 08-15-2003, 06:42 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I can't speak from the mother's perspective but I remembering calling my mother's work when I arrived in California and they were like, "finally! she's been crying all week!" From the viewpoint of the oldest daughter leaving town, you always need your mommie.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #10  

My only chicld is still with us here at home as he is still going to college but I don't look forward to having him leave the nest. I also understand what you are saying about giving too much advice. It is hard not to keep trying to get your point across, I know. No advice but just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #11  

Thanks so much everyone for all the help and support. It's also good to hear from the perspective of the daughters. I appreciate it! I did manage to keep from eating that night, but the next day, Friday, was a bad day. I ate all the wrong foods and didn't even work out. I haven't done that in a really long time and I still don't know why I let it happen. I'm back on track now though and determined not to let this stop me. I have this fear of getting back on the scale and having be in the 200's or 300's again.
Closed Thread