Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Default My weight gain excuses…

So here I am sitting at work and my partner who I have known for years (and knew me before I put on the weight) says to me tonight “Billie why do you think you put on all that weight?” and it really got me thinking. Being a social worker I feel I am a very accountable and self aware person BUT after pondering this question in my brain for a few hours I realized that I really was not self aware to my own self about my weight and why I gained weight. It got me thinking why did I put on so much weight? Well here are my answers-
1. I eat my feelings, I eat when I’m happy, sad, angry etc
2. I worked shift work for years, anyone who has ever worked odd schedules knows its hard on the body, never feel rested and your best friend becomes SUGAR!
3. Money- being new in my field I did not make a lot of money, more bang for your buck! A case of KD costs less then chicken breast and veggies.
4. Time- working 70+ hours a week does not leave much time to prepare meals
5. Lazy- self explanatory
6. Social- A lot of my social activities surrounded around food and booze
7. I learned from my parents- Sorry mom and dad but you both taught me that fast food is a fast solution to a meal (parents be self aware what you could be indirectly teaching your children)
I know a lot of this sounds like excuses and IT WAS an excuse in the past but being self aware to why we got the way we did will help us NOT go back to it (I think anyways). Just thought I would share…
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Very well said.

The realisation of what has brought us where we are is a huge part of the process to change our current position should we not like it.

I would like to add as a reason nonchalance. I have come to the conclusion that we tend to do things robotically, mechanically without realising it, without savouring the moment.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcherella View Post
I would like to add as a reason nonchalance. I have come to the conclusion that we tend to do things robotically, mechanically without realising it, without savouring the moment.
You're right on. When I remind myself of mindfulness it creates a whole new way of feeling, and thinking. It can stop me from overindulging by reminding me to enjoy what I'm currently eating and listen to my body when it's full. It can also allow me to really enjoy simple things in life that could easily be overlooked.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Also short-term gratification versus long-term gratification...I was always able to say "I'll start my diet tomorrow" in order to have the Snickers bar I really wanted NOW. Years of that adds up to 100 lbs...(in my case)
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

I would like to add not taking responsibility for yourself. Let me explain...I was in an unhappy marriage and married to a very vain man. I figured if I gained lots of weight he would leave me and I wouldn't have to leave him and be responsible for a divorce. I grew up the child of divorce and was H*** bent on never getting a divorce myself so rather than admit things weren't working out and do what was right for me I tried to make him responsible for everything.

Last edited by MustangMolly; 04-25-2012 at 03:16 PM.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #6  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

This makes a person think. For myself food has always been a source of control. When I feel as if I can't control things in life I turn to food or turn away from it. Have never been able to find a happy middle ground. Working on it. It is part of my "all or nothing" personality.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #7  
Started IP Oct. 17, 2011

I always take care of others, always putting myselft last. So when i had quiet time myself, usually late at night in front of the TV, i would binge eat because i know no one needing anything from me. I never saw it as a bad thing.
Mickeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I too would eat all my feelings instead of feeling them. And I got very addicted to the "feel good" chemical reactions my brain generated when I ate all those simple carbs. I really noticed how often I was turning to food during this diet when I realized how frequently I would reach for something to eat, stop myself and try to figure out why I was tempted to reach for something in the first place. Lots of deep emotions are surfacing as I travel this journey on Ideal Protein. It feels really good to finally deal with some of my "issues" and, hopefully, it will help me not to regain any of this weight.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 / see ticker / 140

Height: 5'4"

It is funny how much we use food for other than nutrition. I am a HUGE stress eater. Since starting IP I have been 100% OP. BUT I am now completely aware that everytime I have an argument with one of my kids (and with teenage girls that happens a good amount lol) as soon as I walk away I go right to the kitchen and open the junk food cabinet. STILL. Now I am aware of it and shut the cabinet and walk away but for years I popped whatever junk was in there right in my mouth without thinking. But the habits are so hard to break that I still go in there. I am just proud of myself that at this point I am able to walk away !!

Last edited by Cole3; 04-26-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Cole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #10  
Started IP 4/5/2012

S/C/G: 200/190.1/140

Height: 5'7.5

Right on!!!!! I eat for many of the same reasons! I also well off the wagon last week. Had a rough one and drank 3 glasses of wine because I had a huge fight with my boyfriend...ect..... : ( I was hungover for 3 days after and only lost 1.2 this week! Never again! Lesson learned.... When someone else is being an ***.... don't take it out on myself by drinking or eating....ect... Grrrr men!

Keep on trucking!!! I believe the more we learn and recognize why we eat the more successful we will be.
cass2ander is offline   Reply With Quote