Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

Default Vbac

I'm not expecting number #2 yet, but I'm thinking ahead. I still have another 30ish pounds to lose so that I can be a good candidate for a VBAC. I had a c/s for my first because she was measuring 8lbs 15oz two weeks before she was born and I was obese. Between her weight and my weight, the doctors felt that the risk for injury during birth was far too high. While I would accept the risk on me, I couldn't risk her and agreed to the c/s. She was only 8 lbs 12oz when she was born, which happened two days before her due date. According to the ACOG recommendations, she would have been good for a vaginal birth since she was under 9 pounds. I'm assuming that to reduce my risk, I really need to not be obese for #2.

If you attempted and/or were successful with a VBAC, would you mind sharing your story here?
gretel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I'm guessing it's a difference in health care systems but here, doctors would not give an elective C-section due to baby size in general and obesity.

I had shoulder dystocia with my first (which I am guessing is what your doctors feared) and a vaginal delivery and will still be having a vaginal with #2 (I am 4 months now).

I can't share VBAC specific story but I can offer some tips on dealing with a larger baby and vaginal delivery:
- No epidural (you should not be numb if you need to do positions to deal with a stuck baby)
- Free movement throughout labour, do not lay on a bed (I'm not sure if a birthing centre/home birth is option for you, it is here in Canada)
- As you already know, reduced weigh gain in pregnancy.
- Prenatal exercise routine, specifically with the lower half of your body

For dystocia risk (I am at 40% risk even though I am 130lbs), having a physically active labour with no epidural is really the important factor - the reason 'big baby' lawsuits are so bad in the US, aside from a system that allows suing doctors personally, is that most women have epidurals and are strapped to fetal monitors on beds which prevents them from being able to deal with it safely if it happens. You'll find dystocia injury rates lower in places where active unmedicated birth is promoted.

GOOD LUCK!!!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote