General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Got a job offer, but....

keep your fingers crossed for me as I had to ask if it was OK to take 3 weeks off this summer for an already (mostly) planned vacation.

This is the kicker. The job, in my eyes, is perfect. It's a Part-time, temporary (6 months) position that was newly created and is being tailored around my strengths (new position). It's a 'out and about town' job and working from home for 20 hours a week. Pay is pretty abysmal, but this job is a foot in the door kind of thing. It will update my resume, giving me current employment without having to hide the fact that I will be looking for something else in the near future. It's a win-win.

However, my husband says, "Well, let's hope the summer vacation isn't a deal killer." He wants it to work out for me, but he thinks I should not take it if I can't go on vacation with the family this summer.

I'm asking for it, as what can it hurt to ask? But if they say, "Sorry - no" then I need to talk this over with my husband. I've applied to several professional jobs in my field (university administration) and have gotten NOWHERE as I've been out of the workforce (mostly) for the last 8 years while staying home with the kids. I worked in a nontechnical world, so jumping right back in is just not possible - period. That, I don't think my husband gets. Well, I think he gets it, but doesn't get that I need to do the grunt work (again) to build up my skills and show what I can do.

So, fingers crossed for me that it all works out so that I don't have to make any difficult decisions, OK?

Job would be working for our community association in the communications department working on taking photos writing blips for social media sites about events the CA is doing. Pretty much perfect for me.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #2  

Wow, that's tough decision you might have to make. Is there any way you can offer suggestions as to how to work ahead or can you do some work while on vacation? Or maybe you could have some stories/photos, posts pre-prepared that you could post while on vacation? Maybe you could offer that as an option so that both of your needs are met - best of luck!
dellastreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If this was a full time, permanent job, I'd think 3 weeks off wouldn't be too big of a deal. For a 6 month position, I would understand if they say that is too long.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Aww Well, I suspect they will not be okay with 3 weeks away, that's almost 1/6th of the contract right? I would take the job and then ask. Perhaps they just need 6 months total and would be willing for you to work 7 months with the break in between?

I'm a SAHM who is losing my skills too, I think I would have to take it, vacation or not. You can always vacation later.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

How strict is the start/end date? Maybe you can just add those three weeks to the end. Tough situation, hope it works out for you!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #6  
Melissa

The job is extremely flexible. I can choose to work 16-20 hours. The end date is flexible - it's continuation is flexible. I think there's a chance.

And this vacation isn't just "any" vacation. It's a trip to Croatia that has been in the works for 2-3 years (and it's been 6 years since we've gone back to my husband's 'home' as a family." It's not so simple to just not go as a family and me skipping out puts a lot of burden on my husband and mother in law as I'm the organizer/planning/get it all together person in the family (like most moms).
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would be up front about it, explain you are very interested in the position but you have a long planned family vacation, etc. It is always better to lay your cards on the table. I have had this experience and was hired with the knowledge that I would be taking some time off .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
The job is extremely flexible. I can choose to work 16-20 hours. The end date is flexible - it's continuation is flexible. I think there's a chance.

And this vacation isn't just "any" vacation. It's a trip to Croatia that has been in the works for 2-3 years (and it's been 6 years since we've gone back to my husband's 'home' as a family." It's not so simple to just not go as a family and me skipping out puts a lot of burden on my husband and mother in law as I'm the organizer/planning/get it all together person in the family (like most moms).
Ah, see here I think most of us were thinking Disneyland or something.

I would choose the vacation if the job would not allow it. But it sounds like this job may be flexible enough.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #9  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I would be up front about it, explain you are very interested in the position but you have a long planned family vacation, etc. It is always better to lay your cards on the table. I have had this experience and was hired with the knowledge that I would be taking some time off .
That's exactly what I did.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like a great opportunity. I really hope it works out for you.
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I agree there is not harm in asking and you are clearly flexible around making up time or staying on later etc. to make it up. The bottom line is sell yourself which you obviously did very well to get the job in the first place and it is their decision in the end to accept it or not. Congratulations on getting the job. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

You did mention that you want to update skills and this job would be a way to do so. Can you take courses to update skills as well? Something to put on your resume. And you may or may not have time but if you volunteer for a similar type of position that will also be something for your resume and a place to update your skills.

I hear you on the job front. I am looking. I find it gets harder with age. At least for me.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #12  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckypear View Post
I agree there is not harm in asking and you are clearly flexible around making up time or staying on later etc. to make it up. The bottom line is sell yourself which you obviously did very well to get the job in the first place and it is their decision in the end to accept it or not. Congratulations on getting the job. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

You did mention that you want to update skills and this job would be a way to do so. Can you take courses to update skills as well? Something to put on your resume. And you may or may not have time but if you volunteer for a similar type of position that will also be something for your resume and a place to update your skills.

I hear you on the job front. I am looking. I find it gets harder with age. At least for me.
I do volunteer - and I think that's part of what landed me this position. I volunteer every day at the elementary school. I run the silent auction twice a year for a nonprofit, run a blog for non-profit and then I have another part-time job as a director of religious studies at a secular Sunday school.

If this didn't work out, I was going to go back to school (I already have a BA and Master's) and get my teaching certificate. I'm not interested in business, unfortunately. Or maybe if I knew WHAT direction I wanted to head, I would know better what skills to shoot for. Just taking classes to take classes, to me at least, is a waste of time unless you have a direction.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #13  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Maybe if you are a bit flexible, they will be too? Ask for the 3 weeks off, but if they're really humming and hahing... maybe you could fly back a week early??? Not the best case scenario I know, but it would certainly demonstrate a flexibility and commitment.

Best of luck and fingers crossed for you! (I'm also a sahm for the past almost-9 years now and feel my skills slllliiiiippppppiiiiinnnnggg away...).
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #14  
Melissa

Just heard back - And the vacation is no problem at all! OMG!!!!!! I have a job I think I will love AND works well with having kids at home for summer and works around my summer vacation? WHAT?????

Yay me!!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on the job!!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote