Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Drinking water doesn't change my food intake, probably because I have always consumed huge amounts of water while I eat. I cannot eat without a lot to drink, and that tends to be water with an occasional caffeine-free diet drink thrown in. I have been known to down 64 to 80 ounces of water while eating lunch.

Pointing my fork down doesn't help either. That's how I eat salad, but I can still shovel it in. I just stab the lettuce very, very rapidly and continually.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 02-01-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 126/116.8/112

Height: 5"4

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've been eating really slowly since Monday; taking tiny bites, etc, and not changing my diet at all. I often eat chocolate and don't calorie count, but because I've been taking such small bites and not swallowing them until all the taste has gone and they're like water, I've lost a pound already
xkatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #18  

I lost two pounds now! Five to go! I realised that this is paul mckenna's approach too if anyone wants to look into it
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Congrats! I have no idea how you can deal with chewing your food until it gets to be like water, but it sounds like it is working for you.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #20  
banned

Height: 5'3"

I also practice and live by intuitive eating since I'm not into dieting. I went from 120lbs to 101lbs in about 6 months eating this way. I regained almost ten lbs though because I still had a lingering binge eating problem. Eating slowly definitely helped. It takes me so little to get full, it's truly amazing. However, I've been stuck at 108-110 for a while now, and I want to get back down to where I was by May at least. Perhaps this forum will give me some more motivation!

Last edited by QuarterLife88; 02-15-2012 at 06:13 PM.
QuarterLife88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 165/106/96

Height: 5'2

I am a slow eater. I tend to talk between bites if I'm with people or watch TV/read if I'm alone. I take small bites. Growing up, my parents always scolded me for scarfing my food down. We were encouraged to eat slowly and take time to eat politely and properly. I think I chew a throughly, but not excessively. I also blot my mouth with my napkin which I'm sure is a nice time-taker. I like to enjoy my meals so I see no point in rushing through them.
Soon2BSlender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #22  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

I've always been told to "eat with dignity". I'm an extremely slow eater (we like to take our sweet time in the South) and I think it helps because I know when I'm getting full and need to stop.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Powerhouse View Post
Nothing slows me down. I talk when I'm done eating and no food is too hot for me. I always hoover my food, and I am always the first one done. But it has never inhibited my weight loss. It's as if it's been a part of me for so long that my body works with it. There's no reason why I became that sort of eater: I just always was, and my weight has never suffered because of it. When I'm done, I'm done. I don't go back for seconds. I don't eat off my boyfriend's plate. And I'm not overly full.

The idea of chewing my food a lot honestly sickens me. I really don't want to eat overly masticated food.

All that said, though, I believe the science. I believe that slowing down gives your brain time to catch up with your stomach. I just don't feel the need to change because eating the way I do works for me. I suffer no ill effects.

Ditto! I already count my calories for my entire meal, so I don't worry about how fast or slow I'm eating it. I just don't eat more than what I've made for myself.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterLife88 View Post
I also practice and live by intuitive eating since I'm not into dieting. I went from 120lbs to 101lbs in about 6 months eating this way. I regained almost ten lbs though because I still had a lingering binge eating problem. Eating slowly definitely helped. It takes me so little to get full, it's truly amazing. However, I've been stuck at 108-110 for a while now, and I want to get back down to where I was by May at least. Perhaps this forum will give me some more motivation!

This has really inspired me to carry on that's amazing! I'm going to continue with slow eating and i.e

Last edited by xkatex; 02-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #25  
Neytiri Wannabe

Height: 5'0"

Plus, it's healthier for our digestive systems, too.
PixieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #26  

Needing some help to stay on track guys! I faltered a little bit I know that it really works - it's just a question of willpower until eating really slowly becomes a habit and then I do it effortlessly!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #27  

Default Reasons to eat slowly

1. Lose weight. A growing number of studies confirm that just by eating slower, you’ll consume fewer calories — in fact, enough to lose 20 pounds a year without doing anything different or eating anything different. The reason is that it takes about 20 minutes for our brains to register that we’re full. If we eat fast, we can continue eating past the point where we’re full. If we eat slowly, we have time to realize we’re full, and stop on time. Now, I would still recommend that you eat healthier foods, but if you’re looking to lose weight, eating slowly should be a part of your new lifestyle.

2. Enjoy your food. This reason is just as powerful, in my opinion. It’s hard to enjoy your food if it goes by too quickly. In fact, I think it’s fine to eat sinful foods, if you eat a small amount slowly. Think about it: you want to eat sinful foods (desserts, fried foods, pizza, etc.) because they taste good. But if you eat them fast, what’s the point? If you eat them slowly, you can get the same amount of great taste, but with less going into your stomach. That’s math that works for me. And that argument aside, I think you are just happier by tasting great food and enjoying it fully, by eating slowly. Make your meals a gastronomic pleasure, not a thing you do rushed, between stressful events.
Better digestion. If you eat slower, you’ll chew your food better, which leads to better digestion. Digestion actually starts in the mouth, so the more work you do up there, the less you’ll have to do in your stomach. This can help lead to fewer digestive problems.

3. Less stress. Eating slowly, and paying attention to our eating, can be a great form of mindfulness exercise. Be in the moment, rather than rushing through a meal thinking about what you need to do next. When you eat, you should eat. This kind of mindfulness, I believe, will lead to a less stressful life, and long-term happiness. Give it a try.

This is from a Zen Habits article.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #28  

Default More reasons I found in my research

8 Insulin resistance

Japanese researches found[4] that eating fast is associated with insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is a silent condition that increases the chances of developing diabetes and heart disease. Also, fast eating seems to be a risk factor for the metabolic syndrome[5] (combination of the symptoms such as high blood pressure, obesity, and insulin resistance).

9 Heartburn & Gastroesophageal reflux

Rapid eating may cause acid reflux[6]. It may be especially true for people suffering from GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).

Sloppily chewed food promotes intestinal bacteria, causing flatulence, bloating, constipation, stomach ache, cramps and even diarrhea.