Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 143/123

Height: 5'0

Default What have you learned being on IP?

I am a newbie (day 4) and really enjoying this program, minus the hunger but hoping that goes away. Already I have learned how to experiment with foods and what truly makes a balanced diet.
For all of those that have been on IP for a while (and maybe even some newbies), what have you learned about yourself, the program, life, etc since you have been on the plan?
I will start. I have learned (in my 4 short days ....

anything tastes better with cinnamon
4 cups of veggies can be overwhelming if you don't split them up
whenever I don't feel like eating anymore veggies, i saute spinach
I really am in control of my eating!
jakeryanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #2  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I've learned that I have better discipline than I thought I did. I was a little worried about not having that accountability factor of weighting in with a coach, when I quit the formal IP program. (I'm doing alternative products, and switched after just one week on the 'formal IP' program). But I've made it through my first month (3 weeks 'unsupervised') with no major slips (maybe a couple of unintentional ones as I was 'learning') and have found it fairly easy so far. It's really helped that I have lots of things I can eat that I enjoy. I really don't feel deprived. For me the WF products help to flavour things, and provide some taste variety. And my protein bars are tasty, and make me feel like I'm having a treat. I researched and stocked up on enough products to have variety in my diet and not get bored. Plus I find it so much easier to stick with a diet program when I'm in ketosis, and don't have that constant hunger and cravings to cope with. So far, I'm loving this program and see no reason why the coming months should differ.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

balanced diet. No, its a unbalanced diet learned this because if we have balance then we maintain.
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #4  
Restarted 3/1/2013

S/C/G: 231/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I've learned that I don't need to drown my salads in tons of ranch dressing. A little cider vinegar and olive oil is just as tasty.
Nibblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

I have learned a lot about insulin and fat production in the body.
I have learned that I will have to make major and permanent changes in my eating approach if I want to maintain what IP has done for me!
I have learned how to prepare a lot of vegetables and salads.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 205.6/145.2/140

I have learned that I am not emotional about the foods I eat. Prior to starting IP I learned that gluten and eggs are not my friends...I had eliminated them 3 months before starting IP. Making the leap to IP meant I gave up my fruit and yogurt...that part was easy. I have learned that this approach could help me delay diabetes even longer...I am currently two years beyond when my Mom was diagnosed and looking to make it even longer. I am learning so much about how what kinds of foods are metabolized. I am also learning that Magnesium is absolutely my friend from a gut perspective and am so happy that I am not suffering constipation with this diet change.
Meadow Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #7  
MOM3GRL

S/C/G: 286/286/170

Height: 5' 8"

Day four for me also. I have learned that I need this program to help me achieve my goals. Obviously, I could not do it on my own. When I am left to my own devices, I take solace in food. I have learned that I ate most foods (chips, cookies, crackers, etc.) because I wanted something to chew. I have learned that veggies are not harder to cook, harder to buy or taste bad. It was just my laziness that bought pre-packaged foods and thought they were easier. Veggies are good and when you are focused on a goal, they are even good plain! I don't need cheese or butter on them to get them down.

I just keep saying to myself, "how bad do you want it?" How badly do I want to be able to shop at clothing stores other than Catherines, CJ Banks, Lane Bryant, etc? How badly do I want to live to see my grandchildren? How badly do I want my husband to be proud of me? More importantly, how badly do I want to be proud of myself?

That is what I have learned.
mom3girls63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #8  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

I've learned salt water is my best friend for headaches (starting day 3 today), weighing daily is self destructive (for me at least) and when I get hungry, drink a bottle of water, wait 15 minutes and see if I'm still hungry.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I have learned that I will have to make major and permanent changes in my eating approach if I want to maintain what IP has done for me!
This. I have learned that the diet isn't over when you reach goal. Maintenance is work. It's rewarding, but it's hard work.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/150

Height: 4'11

I learned that Im a whoooole lot stronger and focused than I thought I could be.
Learned HOW to eat differently.
KBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

I learned that I have to accept that I am not able to eat whatever I want...and when I don't I actually feel a whole lot better.
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #12  

Location: Washington DC - or wheverever American Airlines is taking me at the moment!

I learned that fast carbohydrates robbed me of the ability to make good food decisions
GloverParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Great thread...

1. I've learned that I really can do anything I set my mind to. I've gone over 7 months without one single cheat.

2. I've learned just how great I really do feel staying in ketosis long term

3. I've learned just how important strength training is, and I can let go of the useless heavy cardio workout.

4. I've learned to take back control of my food choices, and that grains never need to be part of my life again, well except on my once a week free day.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

I have learned that I don't need alcohol to have a good time.

I have learned that I don't have to feel guilty if I don't eat what other people bring into work to share.

I have learned that I don't have to feel guilty if my sink isn't clean before bed because I spent more time preparing dinner and lunch for the next day.

...and I don't care how much my DH or DS wants to use the ipad, if I want to read the Fat Chicks blog all night I will
Hockeymom40 is offline   Reply With Quote