General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default How do you answer the question - What's the secret?

For those of you who have lost enough weight that it's noticeable - how do you answer people who ask, "What's the secret to losing weight?" I get this question quite often. I tell them that there is no secret, shortcuts, or magic pill. I tell them that I personally count calories, try to mainly eat whole foods, and get in exercise whenever I can. I tell them that I am not on a diet, but that I have changed my eating on a permanent basis - if I go back to not watching what I eat, I gain weight - end of story.

What do you tell people?
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

This question is starting to irk me - EVERYONE asks it. My answer is that there is no secret, "diet and exercise" or "counting calories" depending on who's asking.

Lately I am getting "are you still losing weight?" more and more often. I tell them yes, I would like to get to a size 8 and they say - but you are already, aren't you? And then don't believe me when I say I'm a 12.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I always say "eating less and exercising more," because that's pretty much what I did the whole way down.

Some people get mad at me, but that's their issue, not mine.

If they seem genuinely interested then I will go into detail.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Eat less, move more. It really is that simple and that difficult.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

I have no problem answering this question, I simply tell people I count calories and exercise. I have found that most people don't want additional details after that. They are looking for a newest fad, or a secret weight loss miracle, not regular, old calorie counting and exercise. I actually would be more than happy to discuss in detail what I'm doing, what I eat, what exercise I do, how often, but really, only a few people actually want to know more.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #6  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

eat properly and exercise frequently.

cut the junk food and get off of your butt!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I always say

"I figured out how I'm supposed to eat."

Pretty much sums it up .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #8  

Idk. I haven't told most people yet, but I am planning on just saying a very general gist of what I do "eating healthier-but I'm not perfect- and being active"
I don't tell too many people about the specifics (Paleo/IF/Lyle McDonald/cal counting) because it sounds restrictive to them and they comment comment comment - but restrictive is relative, this is the most freeing diet that I have been on. Weight watchers for me personally was restrictive-this works better for me as an individual. But for those who know and comment, I just say that it might be restrictive for them, but I feel good and that it works for me, they can think what they want once they know my "secret"
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I tell people, "eat less and move more of course, but the real secret is finding ways to make it fun and comfortable so you'll never have a reason to quit."

I think we're taught to assume that weight loss failure is caused by laziness pure and simple. But it isn't, because people who succeed in every other aspect of their lives often find it impossible to lose weight. I don't think it's laziness, I think it's that we've been taught that when it comes to weight management if it's fun, you're doing it wrong. If you're not miserable, you're doing it wrong. And so while people KNOW that they have to move more and eat less, they also THINK they have to be miserable doing it. And then being miserable sucks so bad, that only a fool would continue volunteering for such punishment, and they give up.

It isn't laziness it's the assumption that weight loss has to be so miserable that every single ounce of energy has to be devoted to "willpower." If you make it fun and comfortable, there's no temptation to quit, there's no need for intense willpower.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Have not got this ? yet thank goodness. But, I get people wishing they could lose weight. Yep I freakin said I wish I could lose weight and 24lbs just fell off. Just drives me bonkers. I so want to say "Well, work for it and you can."
erh12275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

I always tell them "diet and exercise...sorry to disappoint." Everybody is looking for that magical "oh I just woke up, took 2 breaths, and 80 pounds fell off" answer. Yeah...don't we all wish???
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I always say "eating less and exercising more," because that's pretty much what I did the whole way down.

Some people get mad at me, but that's their issue, not mine.

If they seem genuinely interested then I will go into detail.
Ditto. I will sometimes say it's long term commitment to healthy habits, too, to underscore that this didn't happen overnight!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #13  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Good thread! People are always asking me "How did you lose so much weight???"
Like I've got some magic, immediate, eye opening answer for them... This kinda irritates me enough that I decide to have a little fun with them. I tell them they have to stop bending their elbows and keep them strait. After they look at me like I have either lost my mind or grown a second head- I expain to them you have to stop eating so much (bending your arms up to your mouth). I guess it is mean because they look kinda tiffed but I go on and tell them eat a good balanced diet and try your best to move- a lot. And take really good care of yourself. There is no easy answer. It is your life and the choices you make. I guess after I turned 50 I got a little b****y

Last edited by goal4agirl; 04-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #14  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Just blogged about it today actually.

I do have a 'secret'. It's called getting enough sleep. Makes all the rest of it easier - eating right, exercising, etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

That's a great point, Melissa.

I haven't made that big a transformation. All I did was watch what I ate and the extra pounds fell off. The exercising, the running, the learning to prepare vegetables, all that is just a bonus toward health.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote