Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Default Net Calories to low?

I am hoping everyone on here can weight in and give me some advice.

My calorie goal is around 1600 a day. I work out Four days a week (M through TH) but I don't add my exercise into myfitnesspal. For the past week or two, I have been eating around 1,000 calories before I work out on Tu/Th nights. My work outs are 45 - 60 mins cardio followed by 15-30 min weights on these nights.

I am never hungry when I get out of the gym on these nights but I eat something (usually around 300 calories) since I knew I was low on calories BEFORE I worked out.

My worry is that I am not getting enough calories on these days. I am estimating if I eat 1,200, I may burn off 500 in my work out (over estimation but still). I then eat 300, putting me around 1,000 calories for the day.

Am I not getting enough calories? I feel fine but I am worried that is cause my body is tricking me (it has been known to do that!)

Any opinions would be great.
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #2  
threenorns

if it's opinions you want, then mine is i hate that whole "net" this and that business. it seriously complicates what really isn't a complicated thing, regardless if it's calories or carbs or whatever.

if you feel fine, you probably are fine: the first sign of not getting enough in would be in your weightlifting .

Last edited by threenorns; 04-19-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #3  

Thanks. In my weight lifting how?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #4  
threenorns

the first sign would be not being able to progress - no matter how you try, you can't put the weight up and you can't put out more reps.

you're tired before you even start working out or else it's only been 10-15 minutes and you're ready to quit for the day.

you get more sore even though you're not improving and recovery takes longer.

it's all accompanied by an overall feeling of malaise - you're bored, you're tired, and you just want to chuck it all.

instead of net calorie this and that, just pick a calorie level that works for you and knock back a protein shake immediately after your workout.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #5  

Ah! See, I have some of those problems anyway. I have hypothyroidism so I am ALWAYS tired, bored and want to chuck things at people.

Wait, that could be my crabby personality.

I will see how it goes for a while with the weights. I have somethign weight going on where I, really, don't get sore despite being shaking by the time I finish. I wonder if I am not doing enough .

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #6  
threenorns

if you're shaking at the end of the set, then it's very likely enough - not everybody gets muscle soreness from lactic acid buildup, esp if they're doing cardio or swimming in the same session.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #7  

AH HA! I do cardio before I do weights. I also drink nothing but water (and green tea) which may help.

You are just a great encyclopedia of knowledge! I think I will keep you if I can.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #8  
threenorns

lol - no problem - any time. if i don't know the answer, i'll point you to somewhere you can find it.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

Know this is an old thread but wanted to chime in that I also hate the "net calories" thing. I use and love My Net Diary and do enter my workouts but I just ignore the net calorie data as I don't think counting net calories is theoretically valid, though it is interesting data.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote