Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default Maybe I do need to go back to the gym

I have so much exercise equipment at home, and when I started back to things a little over 4 weeks ago I was using it. The last 2 weeks have been kinds zilch in the workout department. A lot of it is the fact that when I do workout at home I have a 3 year old knocking on the door asking "mommy are you done?" "mommy can I come in?" "mommy what are you doing?" while DH cares for our 4 month old, or trying to squeeze it in when my 4 month old AND 3 year old are napping (this happens about as often as a solar eclipse). It's exhausting just planning it.

I feel like MAYBE if I could jet out to the gym and JUST focus on my workout, that it would be easier. Of course I'd still have to plan it, but I wouldn't have to deal with all the "home" stuff simultaniously. I have a free 30 day pass to the gym that is literally a mile away from my house (maybe less), and the fee is just $16 a month anyway. I've been a member there before. They have classes I'm interested in too.

I've really gotten control of my eating; had a ton of epiphanies in that department and I'm so thrilled to finally feel like I have found my own groove for healthy eating. But the exercise is very important to me as well and that hasn't fallen into place yet. I know it takes work and commitment, but it also takes some level of enjoyment, and enjoyment I have not yet found. Maybe if I could get out of the house (which is a rarity for me these days), that alone would help. I used to love going to the gym.

Just me thinking "out loud" I guess.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i definitely have to get out of the house to exercise...if im home, even home alone, i just wont do it...other things take priority, or i'm just tired, or lazy...if i make myself get UP and out of the house, a good workout will happen...and i definitely plan my days around my gym time...i work in the afternoons, noon to 6 p.m. in a busy position as a program manager...but mornings are my time to take care of our house and kids, get them to school, run errands etc...and i always make time for an hour at the gym in the mornings...its MY TIME and one of the few things that i do exclusively for myself
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #3  
Stephanie

I love that! I do need MY TIME! I don't really have that right now, and it's be nice to have it and go do something really good for myself!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

May i make a suggestion?
Read your signature-- your tag line, whatever its called
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #5  
threenorns

i HATE working out at home. the best i can manage is tabata bec it's only 4min a session.

otherwise, it's the same thing "mommy? mommy? mommy! MOMMY! MOOOOOOOMMMMY!!!!!?" not to mention "did you get the dinner done yet? have you done the laundry? where's my socks? PHONE!!!!!"

the only time i can get physical in peace and quiet is splitting wood. not even whatever-he-is-today will talk to me with an axe in my hand.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I have a treadmill, a bike trainer, and enough free weights to worry that the floor is going to collapse. I workout at the gym or outside 95% of the time.

And yes, with little ones working out with daycare if you can get it is totally worth the cost. Not just for getting able to focus but then for also recharging the mommy brain. That 1 hour of alone time is so worth it. Do it. You deserve it and $16 a month is AWESOME

When my first one was born i tried the running with a jogging stroller thing. Then I decided it was actually worth getting up at 5 am to run without child. The peace and quiet. Priceless. I dont even listen to music.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I totally agree! My husband is a runner - the mere THOUGHT of running around the neighborhood almost bores me to tears. I have no idea how he stays motivated...but he loves it.

I have tried the at-home workouts, but once I joined the YMCA and had so many different classes and so much equipment available to me all the time, I started working out a ton more. I tried just about every class you can imagine and I've surprised myself a few times (who knew I wouldn't "hate" spin class?! hah!) - I've even made some great new friends. I have to say, I actually enjoy working out. I LOVE my Zumba classes because I've found the instructors I love and I've made tons of friends, and that keeps it fun.

Every once in a blue moon, I'll do a Zumba or Pilates DVD at home to "supplement" my workouts when I have particularly busy days and I do walk on my lunch hours (I work from home) - but otherwise, I'm a gym rat!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #8  
Stephanie

Well I went down there and the girl was so rude to me! I mean it was like I had done her wrong and had the gall to ask her the favor of joining the gym. I walked out almost in tears. I will go to a different one even if it cost more.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Don't let that little pest get away with that - please, please please contact the management first and tell them your story. To have a reasonably priced gym close to your home is a godsend! That witch needs to be smacked upside the head and taught some customer service. The owners will want to know if she is chasing off new customers.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #10  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

i would definitely complain!!! loudly LOL (or via email cuz i'm chicken LOL)

but i definitely wouldnt let her run you out of there...$16 a month is an amazing price and i'm almost embarrassed to say what we pay for our gym membership now LOL (way more spendy)
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Do Not let her get you down! Go to management with your complaint.

I work in the daycare at my local gym and when I train new people in, I tell them.......this is customer service! You smile and greet everyone, no matter how your day is going, it is your job to make the customer feel welcome otherwise you are inevitable without a job!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #12  
Stephanie

You guys are right. I think I will call and complain! I'll try and go back another time and see if someone nicer is there.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #13  

It's good that you've decided to call and complain, I'm sure not all their employees are rude. Since it's really convenient for you to go to that gym (because it's close to you and fairly cheap) you should go! It's not fair that you have to attend a more expensive gym because of an employee who doesn't know how to talk to a customer.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

And hey...maybe you'll get a discount in apology!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #15  
Stephanie

I called and complained. It was her that answered the phone. She didn't apologize and was in fact rude again.

Today I went to another gym a little further away (5 miles maybe). They were super welcoming and nice, showed me around, told me about the amenities and classes (as they should). My DH and I joined. $15 a month no contract. I went and worked out right after. I'm very happy!

Thanks for all of your words of encouragement.