PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #1  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

Default Laser Hair Removal Question

I am seriously considering getting laser hair removal treatment for my facial hair. I have lost lots of weight, hormone levels are fine, and it isn't getting any better.
Anyway....my question is regarding the time between sessions. Do you REALLY have to let it grow out for 4-6 weeks?! There is no way I could do that with how much and how dark the hair is, so I just need to know.
Any help is appreciated!
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

I've had it done a couple of times but couldn't afford to continue (although I desperately need to continue). You don't have to let it grow out for that period of time. I simply didn't shave the day before my appointment. That was fine for me. Don't fret. Set up a consultation. I think you'll be happy you did.
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #3  
Cool Chick

Thank you for that virtual hand-holding!!

I'm scared, but I KNOW I really need to do this. I waste so much time dealing with this that it is time.

How did you go about choosing a doctor/clinic?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I seem to recall the issue is not to pluck or wax for the lead up time, as they need the roots to be there. Just shave the visible part.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #5  
Cool Chick

That makes sense. Thank you
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #6  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Dont tan either!! before or after.. it can lead to discoloration. Its well worth it!! Im saving up to get my legs done because ive already done all the other problem areas. Good luck! and trust me you will feel amazing when you've had some treatments done
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #7  
Cool Chick

LOL! I can only wish that tanning was a problem for me I am ghost white year round now that I'm old and have no time to be outside.
I am getting excited now. I hope it will be totally worth it!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

Seriously do it!! it is expensive but it is SO worth it!! I did it 7 years ago and I have never looked back. I had very long, very thick hair and i used to pluck it and the next day have stubbles. Also ingrown hair so I had so scrub my face everyday. My self esteem was so low and I couldnt stand anyone touching my face because they could feel the stubble.

The first time I did it, I had to shave my face before it and it hurt quite a bit. Initially I went every 6 weeks but gradually less till I didnt have to go. I still need to go every 6 months for maintenance but the freedom! i can wear my hair up and I dont have to worry about people seeing the hair, I can wear make up and not have it make the hair stand out. Its money well spent!
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #9  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I just had a session today and am so sad I only have 5 more left but it the best!

I use a little personal shaver as razor shaving makes it worse looking (thicker/darker) for me but waxing between is a no no but I did and the results lasted almost to the next months session. I may have set myself back a few months but I needed to be stubble free lol

American Laser always has deals! I just hate that they will not go over a 30 for my skin type/race I went to Kaiser at 1st and got burned to all heck but the results were better but being burned is not fun :S
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #10  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

What cost are we talking, generally? Just wondering how much I'd have to set aside to get it done. I think that might by my birthday present to myself.

Also, how many sessions do you do? And is it permanent?

Sorry for the 100 questions but I have heard/read much conflicting information regarding the process and results.

I have thought about getting laser hair removal on my chin for about six months now. I have lost a lot of weight, but I am still having issues. I couldn't even guess how many hairs I have, but at least 50, and they are coarse/dark. Sometimes they grow under my skin and it's just a mess.

I don't have to shave, but I do have to tweeze at least every other day or it gets noticeable. It REALLY bothers me, to the point where I keep tweezers in my desk, glove box, makeup bag, purse ... just in case. LOL.
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #11  

I got 6 sessions on groupon for $198. I have two left and it is amazing!
Philadaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I'm having the debate between laser and electrolysis. I've looked and read and everyone seems to have an opinion. It's my understanding that laser isn't permanent but rather long term hair removal.

I don't mean to hijack but feel the same way with my self esteem taking hits due to facial hair. I think my self esteem has suffered more over the hair than it has my weight.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #13  

Well I guess I'm going to be the BIG NEGATIVE POST since all the other ones were so positive (Sorry in advance)

I am freakishly pale with brown hair. I lasered a few different areas. I did 13 sessions. I spent lots of money at the dermatologist and at a spa (I switched when I realized they had the same machine for cheaper).

FOR 3 MONTHS after my last session I had no hair. I didn't even have to shave my armpits (this was one of the areas I did...super white skin with really dark hair, ideal area).

But guess what? After that, it slowly started coming back. Very faint at first but over time more.

That was a few years ago and there is now NO NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE. Obviously I am extremely dissapointed in these results. I talked to the derm and this is actually why laser hair removal is no longer builed as "Permanent Hair Loss" but Permanent Hair Reduction...as there were law suits. Personally though, I don't think I even have a reduction.

I'm so sad over this. I'm a really hairy girl naturally but no one knows because I pluck, nair, shave, thread, tweeze, wax, etc.
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghGal View Post
What cost are we talking, generally? Just wondering how much I'd have to set aside to get it done. I think that might by my birthday present to myself.

Also, how many sessions do you do? And is it permanent?

Sorry for the 100 questions but I have heard/read much conflicting information regarding the process and results.

I have thought about getting laser hair removal on my chin for about six months now. I have lost a lot of weight, but I am still having issues. I couldn't even guess how many hairs I have, but at least 50, and they are coarse/dark. Sometimes they grow under my skin and it's just a mess.

I don't have to shave, but I do have to tweeze at least every other day or it gets noticeable. It REALLY bothers me, to the point where I keep tweezers in my desk, glove box, makeup bag, purse ... just in case. LOL.
The cost varies and different areas cost different amounts. At the places I went, armpits was the cheapest area. Most places have websites with the prices per area listed.

The amount of recommended sessions is usally any where from 6 - 12 depending on the hair/area to be treated.

The best results are if you have pale skin (any skin pigment also gets hit by the laser so the lighter the skin tone the less painful and better the result) and dark hair (light hair will not absorb the heat from the laser correctly in order to kill the follicule).

Honestly, if you have so few hairs that are dark that you can get away with plucking rather than waxing...it probably wont' be worth it (unless you are very rich, find a really good deal, etc). As it is expensive. Personally if I could go back in time I would NOT do it but then again I didn't have permenant results...maybe you would?

I have a friend who did her legs (She is asian) and most of her hair did not come back..some did but she just uses one of those epilady torture device thingys lol.

So I guess I shouldn't let my experience paint a general picture but I am BITTER ABOUT MY WASTED MOOLAH
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #15  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Pepino I all for the other side of the coin views so thanks for sharing

I think working out & spearmint tea has helped my hair stay away longer but now Im on a steroid 
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote