Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #1  
Just watch me ...

Default Just Joined WW On-line --- tips ?

Hi I joined WW online this week because I'm tired of messing up with my food. I've lost about 20 (give or take 4) pounds on my own by cleaning up my act, but the past few weeks have shown me that I need some structure to support my new habits. My big goal is to lose 40 pounds; 20 will get me to a happy BMI. I'm doing the 'points plus' program (I think the other is the one where you eat all power foods?). This is my first week and I'm enjoying the challenge of putting together meals within my precious point allotment; and I'm happy that this program is really showing me the damage that Junk Food does to my points intake. So, although I initially thought that this 'points thing' was a gimmick, It's really for me a learning tool, and kind of a game, which I enjoy. I also like tracking my exercise in 10 minute increments because that encourages me away from 'all or nothing' mentality.

So I'm posting here to express my intentions, and to see what advice/encouragement/good vibes you WW folks can send my way.

Thanks

Last edited by Exhale15; 04-18-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I love the points plus program. I'm also doing on line only and have had success.

I think the main things you will hear (and they're all true) is try to get all of your fruit and veggie/water/good oils in for the day. Also, don't be afraid to use your weekly points. They're there for us to use!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #3  
Just watch me ...

Thanks mammasita! I've got lots of greens in the house for today, and I'm going to start including a green smoothie in with my breakfast. I am soooo looking forward to success.....
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #4  

I consider trying green smoothies all the time, but something about the "green" is a mind block for me. I'm sure they taste awesome, but I can't get past the color LOL.

Yeah, I love points plus because it takes the hassle (arguably) out of counting calories and I absolutely LOVE the fact that most fruits and veggies are 0PP!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #5  
Just watch me ...

What I forgot to ask....I put in a recipe for 'green smoothie' : 2 cups spinach, apple, banana, 2 tbs flax seeds. It's really 2 points but the recipe comes out to 8!
So I deleted the recipe and just put in the ingredients separately. I didn't understand their rational for the additional points...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhale15 View Post
What I forgot to ask....I put in a recipe for 'green smoothie' : 2 cups spinach, apple, banana, 2 tbs flax seeds. It's really 2 points but the recipe comes out to 8!
So I deleted the recipe and just put in the ingredients separately. I didn't understand their rational for the additional points...
I dont use the recipe builder when it comes to fruits and veggies. An all fruit smoothie (1 banana and some peaches) comes out to like 7PP. I add them in separately too, and I remember reading that a few others here do the same.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #7  
Just watch me ...

thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #8  
Just watch me ...

Week 1 and I'm down 2#. This is definitely do-able for me
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker!/155

Height: 5'8"

Woohoo, congrats! Yes, just keep it up. I started WW in July '11 only using the online program and have lost 43 pounds. The one thing I have found is that it is easy to be lazy and not track, but after a few months you get to really know how much points something will be and can still lose weight without being perfect on tracking... BUT TRUST ME, IT HELPS TO TRACK! Haha.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #10  
Just watch me ...

Wow you've done a beautiful job! Congrats and thanks for your inspiring post
Old 04-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 334/256/225

Height: 5'5"

Congratz on the WL! I've been online since 3/7/12 and am down 18 lbs. (yes, I'm including the weekend of food poisoning!). Just track your points faithfully & try to get in some exercise.

If you're on the online program and you have a smart phone (Android, iPhone that I know of), you can get their apps to track & a bar code scanner that will calculate points on grocery items.

If you're not officially on the WW online program, you can still get points/tracking apps. Some are free; some have a nominal fee.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #12  
Just watch me ...

Thanks charliefan, I find the whole point thing quite an incentive to eat clean. This morning, for example, I really wanted some raisin cinnamon cream cheese on my little bagel (I know, but...). But I didn't want to waste the points so I had some turkey instead. So if I haven't done it for nutrition before, I'm doing it for points now

What I like about tracking exercise is that most exercises seem to be a point for 10 minutes. This encourages me to do something and not get into the mindset that I have to knock myself out to get moving.

Last edited by Exhale15; 04-21-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Closed Thread