Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default increase of exercise causing bruising on ankles and shin bone

So i'm new here but has anyone experienced the same thing as me? I have identicle brusing on both my ankles and a large bruise right in the middle of my shin bone. I have increased my exercise as I have 7 more pounds to loose until I reach my goal weight and these are the hardest to loose so I've upped my exercise. I went from jogging 3 days a week between 30-45 and running 2 miles each day. Now i've upped my jogging to 5 or 6 days a week going from anywhere to 2 to 5 miles, I would change things up from a flat bike trail to a hilly park that's about 1/4 of a mile and just run as many laps as I could for 30 minutes. So my body went from being used to the same thing for a while to more intense exercising.

I went out for another jog today on the flat bike trail and as soon as I started running I had sharp pain in my ankles each time step that I took, but walking it was fine. I could also feel the pain on my shin bone where the other bruising is and had to just take a brisk walk the rest of the way home.

Has anybody else experienced this when they upped their exercise and if so how long did it take for your body to get back to normal?

I also thought I should mention that I have flat feet and I'm pigeon toed so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just super frustrated about this and i'm worried that it will affect my weight loss.
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It sounds like shin splints.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

I've never had them, but I hear they hurt! It'd be helpful to do some weight training to strengthen the muscles over the fronts of your shins. I credit my lack of ever having a running injury to heavy lifting.

HTH! Feel better soon!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Definitely shin splints. I had them when I was doing too much running too soon. As my doctor said "your body is telling you 'I don't like this.'" I stopped for 2 weeks, did biking instead. Then started again slower and with less mileage until my body gets stronger.

Exercising more won't necessarily make you lose weight faster. Your muscles will like retain water with all that running. Just keep at your slow and steady pace, don't be in such a rush to "finish" that you hurt yourself.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #4  

Thanks for the article Val, it sounds about right to what i'm experiencing right now so I think i'll ease back up on my body for now.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #5  

Thanks for the tips Seagirl, I might just have to try to do the biking thing as the whole running thing just isint going to happen right now.

And its deffiently hard not to push myself into finishing faster especially after being on diet/lifestyle change for so long.