Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Default Sugar substitutes

I've always been scared to try sugar substitutes because I dunno there is just something scary and chemical-like about them. But since I've been binging on sugar lately, I figured why not try a substitute. So I baked some sweets with erythritol. It seems like it doesn't set off cravings for me the way sugar does. Has anyone else who is a sugar binger found that sugar substitutes don't trigger you the same way?
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yes. I've definitely found that sugar substitutes are much less of a problem for me than are real sugars.

They may fuel my sweet tooth a little bit, but not to the degree that sugars and other high glycemic carbs do. Also there's no "carb-rebound" hunger from insulin spikes.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #3  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I buy sugar-free candy and can eat them in moderation. I also use Truvia (made with stevia, which is all natural) as well as plain old stevia, depending on what I'm sweetening. Sometimes I use agave syrup as well, which is natural and lower on the glycemic index. Real sugar is a super-bad trigger for me, so finding other ways to sweeten my foods has been a big help, and sometimes I find I'm ok with some things just being plain, like tea. One thing I do avoid though is aspartame (found in most diet drinks) as it gives me really bad migraines, but it doesn't seem to affect everyone. Also, it's worth noting that some sweeteners, like malitol, may cause gastric issues when consumed in large amounts.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #4  

I use them, and I'm still here , but I completely respect those who choose not to use them. My new love is 'just like sugar'. Plain erythritol (sadly!) gives me tummy issues, but if I keep the doses small and eat something more substantial with it (I typically see it in sodas), I'm generally ok. Good luck, whatever plan you follow!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I use 2 packets of splenda every morning with my coffee. Probably not the best thing to do...but it helps me have a little indulgence in the morning without the extra sugar. It keeps my sugar craving down a lot too.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

i had some minor gastric issues the first day i ate the stuff, but the second day i was completely normal (after eating the same amount again). so glad!
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

They don't trigger me either. I stopped using sugar about 4 months ago. I use local raw honey now and I love it.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote