Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #1  
One Pound At A Time :)

S/C/G: 239/209/135

Height: 5'6''

Default Has anyone supplemented their diet/ workout, and seen actual benefit?

Ive been on a low carb, lo cal, high protein diet for almost a year, at firth the pounds were just falling off. But lately im noticing that the scale isnt as willing to budge. I havent changed anything or fallen off my diet. It just isnt working quite as well. For work outs I do at home videos, basically just the Julianne Hough dancing with the stars video (LOVE IT), but its not as effective anymore. I plan to add Tae Bo, and another Dancing with the stars video as well as working on the weight bench to change it up a bit.
My neighbor is a 53 year old woman. Shes tiny, but shes a heavy beer drinker as evident by the weight she carries in her mid section. I hadnt seen her in about a week and she stopped over last night, and I couldnt believe my eyes. Her belly fat is significantly smaller. I asked hwr if she had started working out and commented on how good she looked. And she said that she doesnt work out at all, that shes been taking CLA supplements (Conjugalated Linolic Acid) and its helping her tone her mid-section.
Last night while I was shopping I bought some. It says it comes from safflower oil, and it helps tone lean muscle.
While I dont think that there is some magical pill out there that will 'cure' me of being fat forever, i'm considering adding this to my diet to help see results from my work out.
Has anyone tried CLA with a healthy diet and workout, and seen more results while using it than off of it?
Just curious.
xoSMASHxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #2  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Ehhh I'm not too sure about this.

All I can say is that if there was a magic pill, nobody would be overweight and the weight loss industry wouldn't make billions of dollars a year right? I'm sure there are pills that can aid [though at what cost, remember phen-phen?]. Just be careful.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Rather than taking supplements, why don't you just eat more foods that are high in CLAs?

Grass-fed beef and eggs are high in CLAs, along with mushrooms too.

If you're having issues losing weight, why don't you post a typical day's food and exercise and maybe we can give you suggestions on how to improve?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Nope.

CLA is a waste of money.

Whatever is happening to your neighbor it is not due to CLA
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoSMASHxo View Post
My neighbor is a 53 year old woman. Shes tiny, but shes a heavy beer drinker as evident by the weight she carries in her mid section. I hadnt seen her in about a week and she stopped over last night, and I couldnt believe my eyes. Her belly fat is significantly smaller. I asked her if she had started working out and commented on how good she looked. And she said that she doesnt work out at all, that shes been taking CLA supplements (Conjugalated Linolic Acid) and its helping her tone her mid-section.
Last night while I was shopping I bought some. It says it comes from safflower oil, and it helps tone lean muscle.
"tone lean muscle" doesn't make any sense. you can build muscle with hard work and heavy lifting. you can't take a pill that builds muscle nor can you "tone" a muscle. So..no, I wouldn't buy it.

if you neighbor is tiny then even a little loss around her midsection will be noticeable. she said she didn't work out but how has she changed her diet? she's changed something, I assure you.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #6  
One Pound At A Time :)

S/C/G: 239/209/135

Height: 5'6''

I'm working with my Doctor on my weight loss and he suggested totally cutting carbs. So a typical day for me is:
Wake up at 5am and do 45min to an hour of cardio
I eat breakfast at about 6am which is always 3 eggs (fried, hard boiled, etc, etc)
lunch is at 11am and this is my larger meal of the day. Its usually a chicken breast, or steak, if im really hungry i'll make 2 eggs with it, and a vegetable I try to stick with leafy greens but sometimes I go with steamed carrots, green beans, or peapods, or once in a while corn.
I try to fit in a30 min workout between lunch and dinner but some days it just isnt possible.
6pm is dinner which is usually more eggs, or a few slices of turkey, or a bean 'burrito' type thing.
At 8pm I do another 45min to an hour workout
Then go to bed at 10pm
I'm rarely hungry between meals I have never really had a big appetite, but if I do feel like a snack I eat an orange, or an apple, sometimes broccoli w/cheese... If im hungry while im out and about I might eat a few rice cakes.
I drink a gal of water day. And I HATE milk, but I try to choke down 'some' each day.
I track my calories with an app on my phone and I try not to eat less than 1200. Sometimes I have to eat even though I dont feel a bit hungry because I dont want to be under on my calories.
As far as my work out goes, I do the same work out 2-3 times a day every day. Its the Julianne Hough 'Dancing with the Stars' workout video. I loved it because when I started it I felt the burn of working muscles in places that ive never been able to work on. So I stuck with it. I feel like maybe I need to change it up now so I got Tae Bo, which im not impressed with, and another dancing with the stars video that I havent tried yet.
xoSMASHxo is offline   Reply With Quote