Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #1  
Ready for a healthy life!

S/C/G: 180/175/120

Height: 5'3

Default Any suggestions or helpful advice for a newbie atkins dieter?

Hi all,
I have been on the Atkins for a couple of days now and I have lost about 5 lbs so far! Woohoo =) I am trying my best and staying to my diet. Any tips or advice that helped you guys out that you would like to share? Please let me know =)
CQD31783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't do Atkins, but similar low carb eating. My only advice is to choose your proteins and fats wisely. Nuts and beans and vegetable based oils will help in the long run and of course, exercise.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #3  
Ready for a healthy life!

S/C/G: 180/175/120

Height: 5'3

Thanks for the advice =)
CQD31783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Default me too!

just started back on Atkins. Ive been here a while,off and on though the years. back now and started atkins again this week.Hope you have the book.This works IF you stick with it. This weekend has me off a little. I cant seems to get the recommended calories up.And my carbs are too low too. But Im not hungry.I work second shift,so my breakfast is actually lunch.Congrats on the weight lost!
jansusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Next week I will be celebrating 8 years on Atkins
The most important thing I can stress is to read the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions) before you begin the plan. It is critical to educate yourself about Atkins to insure you do it correctly & fully understand exactly how & why it works.
Be sure the bulk of your carbs for the day are coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
Drink plenty of water.
Always remember Dr. Atkins words "a little taste of this or that is the kiss of death".
You CAN do this!
All the best to you
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #6  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Congratulations Jersey Girl (Kim)! on your Eight Year Anniversary. You are truly an inspiration to me! I also appreciate that you still come here and offer your wise advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Next week I will be celebrating 8 years on Atkins
The most important thing I can stress is to read the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions) before you begin the plan. It is critical to educate yourself about Atkins to insure you do it correctly & fully understand exactly how & why it works.
Be sure the bulk of your carbs for the day are coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
Drink plenty of water.
Always remember Dr. Atkins words "a little taste of this or that is the kiss of death".
You CAN do this!
All the best to you
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #7  
Never Giving Up

I'm a relative newbie, but I can assure you that Atkins truly works if you stay OP. As Kim said "read the book", there really is a "science" behind the plan. Secondly, don't think of it as a "diet", think of it as a "way of eating". Sugar and white flour stuff is horrible for your health. Think of it that way, and it is easy to stick OP. Also, I have found that you need to stock up on all the stuff you like to eat, and get rid of all the temptations. I buy my fresh veggies for my salad and then I chop them up and put them into zip lock bags so they are ready for me to toss into the lettuce for a delicious salad. I also keep Sugar Free Jello, and SF Popsicles on hand.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Also go to the Atkins website.They have all kinds of recipes and suggestions there too. You can sign and get a free cookbook,snack bars and a handy carb. pamphlet to carry in your purse
jansusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 193/190/130

Height: 5"3

Default Day 2 Of Atkins

I to am new to Atkins. It's my 2nd day and I must say this is not easy. But I know when i see results I will be happy and it will be worth it. I am planning to do the Induction phase for 2 weeks... Maybe longer. I have about 60 lbs to lose and love ready the success stories - they motivate me!
Buckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #10  
Never Giving Up

The first few days are NOT easy. I like to think of it as the same as a drinker or smoker going "cold turkey". We go "cold turkey" with sugar and wheat. When you read some of the posts on the websites, they actually refer to an "Atkins flu". Don't give up, or give in. Once you get over the first week you should be feeling fine. Drink gallons of water to flush all the impurities out of your system. I also recommend go to Atkins Diet Bulletin Board dot com There is tons of helpful information from people like ourselves who have been through Atkins with great success. Look for the stickies. I consider it the cliff notes of the books. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
I to am new to Atkins. It's my 2nd day and I must say this is not easy. But I know when i see results I will be happy and it will be worth it. I am planning to do the Induction phase for 2 weeks... Maybe longer. I have about 60 lbs to lose and love ready the success stories - they motivate me!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 193/190/130

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
The first few days are NOT easy. I like to think of it as the same as a drinker or smoker going "cold turkey". We go "cold turkey" with sugar and wheat. When you read some of the posts on the websites, they actually refer to an "Atkins flu". Don't give up, or give in. Once you get over the first week you should be feeling fine. Drink gallons of water to flush all the impurities out of your system. I also recommend go to Atkins Diet Bulletin Board dot com There is tons of helpful information from people like ourselves who have been through Atkins with great success. Look for the stickies. I consider it the cliff notes of the books. lol
Thanks for the help. Today I seem to have a little more energy. The headache is setting in.... I can tell I am already in ketosis - bad taste in my mouth and all the other effects. I weighed today and I'm down 3.6 lbs so I can tell that carbs (sugar) have been killing me in the past! I look forward to my next weigh in (which will be in a few days). Thanks again - good to know the support is out there!
Buckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #12  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I feel fantastic on Atkins, but have to remind myself of this very simple fact daily/hourly due to a lifetime of "carbs for comfort" eating.

I was successful on this WOL for many years, mid-70's through 1997, a year that brought me many difficulties . . . I did lose 80-90lbs after the birth of my now 14 yr old DD, but put about 40 of that back on and have yo-yo'd with that same 40lbs all through the 2000's.

The years I was successful, I just had a clarity about WHY I was eating this way and a determination to stick to what works, that I haven't quite found again.

JG is absolutely right about reading/studying Atkins science in the pre-2002 version . . . a re=read of which was something that motivated me to return over Christmas last year. I also attended an AHA seminar at my work and can't tell you how funny it was to me that after all their well publicized disputes with Dr. A., most everything they taught about heart health was EXACTLY what he had been saying all along:

*the advent of heart disease is directly dated to the advent of flour mills and processed cane sugars

*dietary fat is the least contributing factor to cholesterol in the blood

and on and on lol

I'll just add that what worked best for me over the years was following the book closely . . . which means being AWARE of how delicious and satisfying the food is and how full I feel . . . being AWARE of "hidden "carbs" (in supposedly low carb items/medicines) and how they can then trigger a "binge" and staying away from anything POST-2002 Atkins.

The whole "net carb" thing just never worked for me - losing or maintaining.

Good Luck!

Last edited by aud; 04-14-2012 at 09:06 PM.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote