Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/192/165

Height: 6'0"

Question Need Gallbladder/ulcer/pancreas help!!!

After thinking I have/had a bleeding ulcer, the doctors are now thinking it may be gallbladder. I had a sono done on gallbladder, but it didn't show anything. But I've had several people without a gallbladder tell me the sono done on theirs did not show anything, either. I had an EGD done Monday, and it showed some irritation in my stomach that he said a month ago probably looked like hamburger meat, but he also took biopsies of my stomach, and did something where he made my gallbladder squeeze out bile and he took a sample of that to see if it forms crystals, or something??? Anyways, I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac. I will have attacks where I'm doubled over in pain, and nauseated, light headed.....but have only had that about 3 times in last month or so. The other pain is what feels like a mixture of labor pains, and that stitch you get in your side from running sometimes. But it comes from my gallbladder area, my stomach area, my pancreas area, and even my mid section. Has anyone had their gallbladder checked this way, by EGD? And how accurate is it? Or has anyone had these types of symptoms????
shortycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I did not have EGD to determine my gallbladder issue (not even sure what it is). My gallbladder was so full of stones that the UT showed it very clearly. I do know that my symptoms were very similar to what you mention. When one of the tiny stones that I had would get lodged in the tube leading to the stomach, it would put me on the floor with pain that never really localized. The pain would cover my entire back, abdomen, ribs-felt like I'd been hit by a bus! But, then, either the stone would pass through or somehow dislodge and the pain would suddenly stop. Fortunately, my doc recognized the symptoms right away when I called him after the 3rd attack in about 4 weeks. The attacks would happen after eating food with fat in it, of course, so had to go completely fat free until the gallbladder was removed, but they got me in quickly (within 2 weeks).

If you only have a few small stones, I wonder if they just can't be seen on the UT or if they actually passed through and are no longer there? If you don't seem to get any answers, get a second opinion.

I sure hope they find out what's causing your pain quickly. I'll be praying.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #3  

Thank you!! Prayers definitely help
Well the EGD showed that I have crystals in my gallbladder, and referred me to the surgeon to have it taken out. I saw him today, and told him i'm not convinced that crystals in my gallbladder warrant taking it out, and I was ready for his rebuttal (this is how surgeons make money, after all!). He actually said he agrees with me. he said that since the sono didn't show stones, it could either still be a case of stones that aren't showing up, or it could actually be a case of a non-functioning gallbladder. I wasn't prepared for that. I was ready to tell him that I was NOT having surgery, and that I was going to do a cleanse, and be done with it. He of course argued with my cleanse idea (again, surgery is how they make their money), but then dropped the non-functioning gallbladder bomb on me. So I'm scheduled for a Hida Scan on Tuesday, a week from today. This will better tell at what percent the gallbladder is functioning, and I believe it tells if there's stones??? Anyway, I guess we shall see! Lol
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #4  

Hida scan showed 28% functioning. Dr told me the other day that if it's 30% or below, he recommends surgery. Don't want surgery.