Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #1  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default A fun read on lifting weights!

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/lift-w...tever-you-want

I read this and was amused by the author's style (warning: some strong language) but she does point out why strength training is generally a good idea! (note: not science based, it's anecdotal)
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That was an awesome article and SO true!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

she is freaking awesome and I totally agree.

Weight training has GOT to be the reason why I can eat more than I "should" be able to. It's also got to be the reason as to why I'm an hourglass when I was a pear. It's probably also the reason why—without me running regularly—I can run five miles or so whenever I feel like it.

It's probably also a contributing factor as to why my body let go of the weight fairly quickly and I didn't end up with a high BF%. I know I lost muscle (my 200lb self needed it a lot more than my 115lb self), but not nearly as much as I would have otherwise.

I'm strong. I freak people out all the time with what I can lift both in the gym and just around in real life. I'm not bulky at all and I think it's one of the perks of being a woman. We generally won't be able to build up to look like we can lift heavy things, but it's pretty awesome because of the looks on people's faces when we do.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I used some of the weight machines way back when I worked at the Y but had no clue what I was doing; I was too shy and self-conscious to seek out a trainer or even ask for help at the time. In fact it was in an area we called "the reject room" since it was far away from the main training area with all the glass and fancy mirrors.

Anyway, while I felt so totally lost I worked hard and was losing weight pretty quickly at the time. And now I'm wondering what to do from a beginner's standpoint? It's overwhelming to start all over again, and I don't have the luxury of a gym just yet (although I probably will in the fall). Can anyone direct me on how I can start at home? I'm a little scared of hurting myself and am not sure how to start up again. Any good, reliable reading material out there? Is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" a good place to begin?

Any tips would be appreciated; I'm approaching the plateau weight I hit last year and definitely don't want to get stuck again due to a lack of physical activity. And I'm willing to bet if I'm able to pick up a weight set my husband will have fun with it too!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #5  

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender#g/u

there are a lot of good videos on that channel, for all sorts of different exercises. videos are good for helping to see form.

edit: most of them are body weight based, some use kettlebells and others use dumbbells or resistance bands.

Last edited by konfyoozed; 04-12-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfyoozed View Post
http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender#g/u

there are a lot of good videos on that channel, for all sorts of different exercises. videos are good for helping to see form.
Thank you, I'll be checking them out! I'm a lot more comfortable with my body than I was a few years back so this may be a great time for me to start.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Thanks for the link!! It was an awesome read!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Fascinating read. Thank you!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #9  
Kami

S/C/G: 318/287/160

Height: 5'3

Awsome read, thanks for sharing.

I am starting out at low 5lb weights because I have literally had such a sedentary lifestyle for so long, I no longer have the kind of muscle I had before I started having kids. My 8 year old son can lift those 5lb weights more than I can. I fully intend to keep working on that so I can one day lift the bigger weights.
MamaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBravo View Post

I am starting out at low 5lb weights because I have literally had such a sedentary lifestyle for so long, I no longer have the kind of muscle I had before I started having kids. My 8 year old son can lift those 5lb weights more than I can. I fully intend to keep working on that so I can one day lift the bigger weights.
You have to start somewhere and just build from there.

I don't do heavy lifting as the idea of lifting weights in a gym sounds dead boring. I'm a 'class' kind of gal. So I take bodypump. I just keep pushing myself harder and harder. I started with just 1 kg on each end for anything upper body and 2.5 kg on each end of the barbell for lower body. Now I'm at 6 kgs on each end for upper body and 11 kgs on each end for squats and 9 kgs for power lifts and this is a high rep program.

Sure, OK, there are lots of people who say high reps is a waste of time - maybe, but if it means not doing it at all? Then I'll stick with high reps! I have noticeable muscle definition in my arms and legs (not bulk - just definition) and I sit straighter, walk straighter, etc. In 10 months time I went from having the least amount of weight on the bar to having the most weight on the bar for all the women in the class and even for some men. Most of these women were going before I started. They either don't do it frequently enough or don't push themselves hard enough to keep upping the weights. So just keep pushing yourself and you will see leaps and bounds of improvement.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBravo View Post

I was in a very similar situation when I started with weights. 10 pound hand weights made me sore! It was enough to make me not want to do it very often, but I've kept at it and I'm now lifting as much as my husband most of the time! I love him to death, but he's not the most buffest man in the world. He's got a fairly small frame (and i have 100 pounds of fat on me that he doesn't), and he's maybe half an inch taller. It galls him that I was just wandering around the gym toting 20 and 25 pound kettlebells in each hand when the 10 pounders were causing me grief just a few months ago!

You've taken the first step, just keep with it!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I think the only problem I have with her article is when she says, "I hear what the research says, that it’s a fallacy that muscle burns more calories than fat, or at least that it's minimal." I have never heard research claim this.

But the article is cute and I totally adore lifting and wish I made time for it in my life.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote