Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/235/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Did I overdo it?

I was always warned about muscle fatigue but had never experienced it before. I worked my butt off yesterday... I had 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill and eliptical, An hour with a personal trainer weight lifting and stretching and then 20 minutes on a treadmill doing interval training (2 minutes walking, 1 minute running). Throughout the workout, I drank around 1800ml (around 7 cups) water. I had a 45 minute drive home but during the way, I drank a whole bottle of water and then when I got home I had a smoothie (1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of almond milk). Dinner was a fajita (a lean steak around 6oz, a cup of orange and yellow peppers thinly cut and a half cup of corn) on a flax flat tortilla with 3 small microwaved potatoes- naked.

My husband thinks that I didn't have enough protein. But if that were true, wouldn't I feel really sore? I don't feel sore at all-- not even a bit stiff. Is this true muscle fatigue? What could I have done differently? Should I be worried?
Crazy Dog Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #2  
threenorns

no, i've never noticed a difference in muscle soreness depending on how much protein i ate. almond milk plus steak - that seems perfectly adequate to me.

tomorrow you might feel stiffness. DOMS - which, btw, doesn't hit everybody - generally started 12-24hr after the the workout and peaks 48hrs after.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvilAK View Post
lactic acid build up is the issue here. If you want to get rid of it i would suggest you juice veg's or eat fruits like avocados
Ummm...... sorry, but i must disagree. Lactic acid is a VERY temporary thing. Temporary, as in, you experience it during the workout itself, and it processes itself out of your muscles during the workout~ this is the basis for Lactic Acid Threshold Training. The training not only raises your threshold--> the intensity or pace at which lactic acid begins to build up (lactic acid being a by-product of anaerobic activity in your muscles) but also teaches your body to process OUT the lactic acid "on the fly", so that you can go further/faster/longer before it builds up fully and prevents your muslces from firing.
This is an overly simplified explanation.
Im unsure exactly what the OP's issue is....... one workout does not "overtraining" make, so to speak. You might be sore tomorrow? and what you eat afterwards has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not that happens. However, if you are new to working out, "overdoing" it in a single session can lead to injury, which i think is more of a concern given the OPs circumstances
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote