Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Default Collagen? Is there such thing as too much?

Hi...I'm hoping some of you IP experts can help me...as someone with a significant amount of weight to lose (100 lbs) I'm already thinking about loose skin and wanted to be preventative. I've already gotten some great tips from reading these forums. Yesterday my coach suggested making sure I eat the IP foods with collagen protein...my plan was chicken noodle soup for lunch this week (has collagen) and she suggested doing the wildberry yogurt drink as well (also has collagen) each day. That sounded great to me, but I feel like I read in the IP literature somewhere that you're only supposed to have IP packets with collagen every other day...also, I heard another coach at my office say something about only a couple times a week. I can't figure this out...does anyone know any downsides to daily collagen protein?

Thank you!!!!
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/124/110

Height: 5'0''

Default there are only 2 collegen products on IP

Hello, I'm a weight loss coach in MD there are only 2 collagen based proteins on the program. They are Raspberry Jelly (jello) and Blueberry Crangranta drink. You can have them everyother day. They do help with loose skin and cellulite. If you have too many the body will reject it. But remember if someone has been large all their life they will have a significant amout of loose skin and will need help after they are finished with the program, if someone has recently gain weight, like always been a regular weight and now is obese, their skin may return to normal.
I hope you have great success on the program.
RLWhitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #3  
threenorns

what RLWhitty said.

be aware, too, that it takes a LONG time - we're talking the order of 2yrs plus in some cases - for skin to shrink as much as it's going to.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #4  

Thanks! That is helpful. I bought the Raspberry Jello with the plan of eating it every other day...in reading the ingredients on the box though hydrolyzed collagen is the first ingredient in the chicken noodle soup...is that a different kind than in the jello? I just wonder because I bought the chicken noodle soup for lunch every day this week and I don't want to risk my body rejecting collagen. Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I don't think you'll get too much from just eating those packets. I bought the collagen liquid from IP and a daily dose in that is higher than in each of the packets.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I don't think you'll get too much from just eating those packets. I bought the collagen liquid from IP and a daily dose in that is higher than in each of the packets.
Is the collagen liquid a new product? How much collagen is in a daily dose?

thanks,
Chloe
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Default Collagen on Alternatives

I'm posting this here and on Alternatives; does anyone know how to get collagen when you're using alternatives and how much we need?
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #8  
Started IP 1/14/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Is the collagen liquid a new product? How much collagen is in a daily dose?

thanks,
Chloe
The liquid collagen is new to me but then I just changed coaches and my old coach didn't carry very many things. It is a Natura IP product though. This collagen has 4.5g (4500mg) of hydrolysed collagen per 15ml (tablespoon). The directions say to use 4 tablespoons daily in replacement of one protein packet. However my coach said to take only 1 tablespoon in a glass of water daily so I don't have to change how many packets I use daily. Each tablespoon has 34 calories.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Also posted on the alternatives thread -- just "food" for thought. Also, for MaMaZu, I was unable to find an RDA for collagen. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

Do Collagen Supplements Work?
As has been mentioned already, the benefits of collagen supplements is a controversial subject. Many studies have claimed that they fail to produce the desired results, especially when used for counteracting the effects of aging on skin. This is probably because collagen molecules are so large with complex molecular structure, that they cannot be absorbed by our skin. Even if they are absorbed, problems arise in their assimilation with the natural collagen produced by our body.

Therefore, many people are of the opinion that skin care products that contain collagen or collagen supplements are not very effective to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Instead, certain substances like functional keratin and nano-lipobelle can help to stimulate collagen production. Hence such substances have shown more efficacy in reducing wrinkles and fine lines as compared to collagen supplements.

However, people with arthritis and degenerative arthritis have reported to have benefited from collagen supplements. A significant reduction in joint pain and increase in mobility have been experienced by many individuals after taking collagen supplements. These supplements are found to be effective in reducing joint inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Another important benefit of collagen supplements is that they can strengthen the blood vessels and thereby improve circulation. Some studies carried out in animals have pointed out that collagen supplements can be useful in the treatment of osteoporosis as well.

For retaining youthful look and vigor, one should maintain a healthy eating habit. Regular exercises can play a significant role in providing relief in age-related diseases like arthritis. Equally important is to drink plenty of water and consume a balanced diet that includes lots of minerals, antioxidants and vitamins. Vitamin C has the ability to boost the natural production of collagen. Similarly, lysine, an essential amino acid can also help in this regard.

So, basically there is unanimous opinion regarding the utility of collagen supplements. Do they work only for geriatric illnesses or are they equally effective in skin care? Most of the experts are of the opinion that collagen supplements for skin are not effective. Rather the anti-aging skin care products that contain certain natural substances like keratin can prove more beneficial, as they stimulate the body's natural production of collagen.

However, for some age-related diseases like arthritis, osteoarthritis, they can be helpful in alleviating the symptoms. But as they are manufactured from the tissues of cows, pigs and chicken, and can also contain yeast, shellfish, wheat, gluten, soy etc., adequate care should be taken by people having allergies to these food products. So, before taking any kind of supplements, always consult an expert health care practitioner to know the various aspects like benefits, side effects, as well as how to improve their functions.
By Chandramita Bora
Last Updated: 2/17/2012

Last edited by Survalia; 04-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Survalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survalia View Post
Also posted on the alternatives thread -- just "food" for thought. Also, for MaMaZu, I was unable to find an RDA for collagen. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

So, basically there is unanimous opinion regarding the utility of collagen supplements. Do they work only for geriatric illnesses or are they equally effective in skin care? Most of the experts are of the opinion that collagen supplements for skin are not effective. Rather the anti-aging skin care products that contain certain natural substances like keratin can prove more beneficial, as they stimulate the body's natural production of collagen.

However, for some age-related diseases like arthritis, osteoarthritis, they can be helpful in alleviating the symptoms. But as they are manufactured from the tissues of cows, pigs and chicken, and can also contain yeast, shellfish, wheat, gluten, soy etc., adequate care should be taken by people having allergies to these food products. So, before taking any kind of supplements, always consult an expert health care practitioner to know the various aspects like benefits, side effects, as well as how to improve their functions.
By Chandramita Bora
Last Updated: 2/17/2012[/I]
Thanks for the article, Survalia, not quite sure what I will do at this point.
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
The liquid collagen is new to me but then I just changed coaches and my old coach didn't carry very many things. It is a Natura IP product though. This collagen has 4.5g (4500mg) of hydrolysed collagen per 15ml (tablespoon). The directions say to use 4 tablespoons daily in replacement of one protein packet. However my coach said to take only 1 tablespoon in a glass of water daily so I don't have to change how many packets I use daily. Each tablespoon has 34 calories.
Thanks Kitkat!

A few more questions if you don't mind:
1. How many servings are in a bottle?
2. How much does a bottle cost?
3. How do they recommend you take it?

Thanks again!!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #12  

Re collagen info, here is something I read and learned a lot from: http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/collagen/Collagen/

I did end up buying their collagen a year and a half ago but then fell off the IP wagon when our house sold and we were in the midst of moving, etc. It's taken me over a year to get back to IP. Just last week I dug out my collagen and started using a tablespoon a day.

One thing this article discusses is the absorption (or lack thereof) of collagen. The collagen molecule size has to be small or as was written earlier, it will not be absorbed.

Last edited by Chloe222; 04-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Interesting article - thanks for posting the info.

If you want an alternative to the IP jello, you can try making your own jello. Somebody on the board posted about "Great Lakes Gelatin" and it has collagen in it. I got some on Amazon. It is made from pigs, though, not cows. You'd need to figure out how to flavor it, which right now appears to be unsweetened kool-aid packets (with splenda or stevia added to it) or crystal light powders. Not natural flavors, but until you can have 'real' flavorings, they may work.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #14  

Anyone know how much collagen is too much (the point where our bodies would start rejecting it?)...I'm brand new to all of this...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #15  
Started IP 1/14/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Thanks Kitkat!

A few more questions if you don't mind:
1. How many servings are in a bottle?
2. How much does a bottle cost?
3. How do they recommend you take it?

Thanks again!!
The bottle is 500ml and I'm taking the 15ml (1tbsp) dose daily. It was $29 CAN. My coach suggested putting the 15ml in a glass of water. I bought raspberry and they had strawberry too. It tastes like a nice lite raspberry juice, not sweet which I prefer. The bottle and my coach didn't have any comments about time of day, full or empty stomach.