Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/233/146

Height: 5'4 1/2''

Default Hello

Hi there, nice to meet you guys, I'm Justine.
I've been trying to lose weight for a while now. I've lost 40 pounds so far, but I still have a long way to go. My motivation has dwindled, so I decided to try online support. Anyone have any tips to help with loss of motivation?
MyNameIsJustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Welcome Justine!

Online support is excellent, 3FC is chock full of friendly, helpful people and tons of diet ideas. Stick around and you're sure to pick up something helpful for your situation.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #3  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Hi Justine!

Wow!!!!! Congratulations on your weightloss so far, what a big loss! 3FC is full of online support and info but the best tip I can give you is, that losing weight is a lifestyle change. Good luck!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #4  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Welcome Justine. Well done on your weight loss achievement so far!!! Congrats!!! How have you done it?! 3FC is awesome. I joined 40lbs into my journey too when I'd lost motivation too and kind of stalled. So I totally understand.

The biggest thing I've learned about motivation is that it's temporary. Your plan has to become such a part of your life that you keep on keeping on even when you don't feel like because it's a lifestyle thing. Commit to 3 months on plan, just 3 months; tell yourself that after 3 months, if you're not happy, you never have to do it again. I guarantee that you'll never regret 3 months on plan. And then after 3 months, you can celebrate, re-evaluate and make another commitment.

One thing I've found helped to make me stay encouraged is mini-goals. Whether these were to do with health or fitness, they're sooooo helpful. Make them super small, even 5lbs or less for a weight goal, or walking/jogging a mile or half a mile. Join a challenge here on 3FC, post here daily to keep you honest. I'm telling you, these things help. You've done sooooo well so far, certainly too well to give up and go back. You can totally do this and beat any statistic that says you'll give up!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/265/180

Height: 6'

Welcome Justine! I'm pretty new around here too, but have found 3FC so helpful and inspiring. CONGRATS on your success already!
junebug44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #6  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsJustine View Post
Hi there, nice to meet you guys, I'm Justine.
I've been trying to lose weight for a while now. I've lost 40 pounds so far, but I still have a long way to go. My motivation has dwindled, so I decided to try online support. Anyone have any tips to help with loss of motivation?
WELCOME glad you decided to join us. I know what helps me is joining challenges here in the forum it keeps me going.
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #7  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! Something I've found about motivation is that it comes and goes whenever it feels like it. There have been times where I'd be so motivated for several weeks, and then I'd lose it, but then I'd find myself motivation again a few weeks later.

I've found that when I lose motivation, I need some sort of stimulus or inspiration to get me back in gear. Looking at cute dresses in catalogs, or the racy lingerie at Victoria's Secret, or knee-high boots often gets me motivated. Also, wanting to be able to do some sort of physical activity helps with motivation. For example, I want to go on a multi-day hiking trip through hilly terrain, but I won't be able to do it if I sit around and be lazy all spring and summer. I also want to start Hoop Dancing, so I'm going to need to be active in order to do it right.

Sometimes gaining a few pounds motivates me to get back in gear. There's nothing worse than back-tracking!

I also recommend taking part in a challenge. Find a friend who wants to lose weight with you, or find a challenge here on 3FC. A sense of competition can really help with the motivation.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #8  

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #9  

Thank you!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedsmoke View Post
Welcome Justine. Well done on your weight loss achievement so far!!! Congrats!!! How have you done it?! 3FC is awesome. I joined 40lbs into my journey too when I'd lost motivation too and kind of stalled. So I totally understand.

The biggest thing I've learned about motivation is that it's temporary. Your plan has to become such a part of your life that you keep on keeping on even when you don't feel like because it's a lifestyle thing. Commit to 3 months on plan, just 3 months; tell yourself that after 3 months, if you're not happy, you never have to do it again. I guarantee that you'll never regret 3 months on plan. And then after 3 months, you can celebrate, re-evaluate and make another commitment.

One thing I've found helped to make me stay encouraged is mini-goals. Whether these were to do with health or fitness, they're sooooo helpful. Make them super small, even 5lbs or less for a weight goal, or walking/jogging a mile or half a mile. Join a challenge here on 3FC, post here daily to keep you honest. I'm telling you, these things help. You've done sooooo well so far, certainly too well to give up and go back. You can totally do this and beat any statistic that says you'll give up!
I've been losing weight through weightwatchers. I've been going since November 2010...so it's been really slow. I know it's good to lose weight slowly, but it's a bit too slow for my liking.

I'll try that 3 months commitment. Hopefully I can keep on it for 3 months. I'll try my best. I'll try a challenge too. Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #11  

Thanks for welcoming me!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowclaw View Post
Welcome! Something I've found about motivation is that it comes and goes whenever it feels like it. There have been times where I'd be so motivated for several weeks, and then I'd lose it, but then I'd find myself motivation again a few weeks later.

I've found that when I lose motivation, I need some sort of stimulus or inspiration to get me back in gear. Looking at cute dresses in catalogs, or the racy lingerie at Victoria's Secret, or knee-high boots often gets me motivated. Also, wanting to be able to do some sort of physical activity helps with motivation. For example, I want to go on a multi-day hiking trip through hilly terrain, but I won't be able to do it if I sit around and be lazy all spring and summer. I also want to start Hoop Dancing, so I'm going to need to be active in order to do it right.

Sometimes gaining a few pounds motivates me to get back in gear. There's nothing worse than back-tracking!

I also recommend taking part in a challenge. Find a friend who wants to lose weight with you, or find a challenge here on 3FC. A sense of competition can really help with the motivation.
Yeah, my motivation has been missing for a few months now. I'll try looking at cute cloths for motivation. I've never tried that. My physical activity goal is to learn how to dance. I know I could start now, but I want to be comfortable with my body first. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!