Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #1  

Default Does anyoe use regular ketchup or sauce?

I am 4 weeks in and have lose 16 lbs!
I don't eat a ton of ketchup. A little squeeze here and there. Does it really matter if it is the low sugar stuff. I don't have to buy regular and the ls one is a bit expensive. Same with pasta sauce.....WDYT?
Philadaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've found for myself that my overall carb intake is much more important than any food's specific carb content, at least for each meal or snack. I don't use low-carb catsup, but I'm very careful with it.

As for pasta sauces, I'm MUCH more careful with pasta sauces because some of the regular pasta sauces are insanely high in sugar. I don't buy pasta sauces advertised as "low carb" because they're usually insanely expensive, and I can usually find a "regular" sauce that is as low in carbs, or nearly so. And if I can't find a low-carb sauce, I'll make my own from tomato puree and petite diced tomatoes (checking both for added sugar in the ingredient lists).

I use a lower carb exchange plan to control my calories and carbs, so in theory I could eat all my carbier foods in one meal. And I have done that. It doesn't change my weight loss, but it does make it much harder to stay on plan (because without fat and protein to "balance" the meal or snack, "straight" carbs, even the healthy ones, make me hungrier - sometimes hungrier than not eating at all. The more carbs I eat, the hungrier I get).

Some people say they do notice less loss when they eat even small amounts of higher-sugar foods, so you'll have to experiment.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #3  
threenorns

i never touch ketchup - even when i'm not trying to lose weight. can't stand the stuff.

try using salsa - very low cal and loaded with actual nutrition.

pasta sauce is okay as long as you're not tipping the bowl to drink the stuff but me, i just get a can of crushed tomatoes, add veg like sweet peppers and shredded carrot, and simmer it down - that's what pasta sauce really ought to be anyway.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #4  

Thanks! I will stick with limited regular catsup and check the pasta sauce labels.
Philadaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

I love ketchup but discovered on south beach that it made me crave like crazy. The small amount of sugar is a really trigger for me. I've never seen low carb ketchup in the stores here so I just stay away from it entirely.
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I rarely eat ketchup. Figure if the food is cooked right, why ruin it? Same with steak sauce.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post

try using salsa - very low cal and loaded with actual nutrition.
I used to use a tablespoon of ketchup on my scrambled eggs until I found salsa.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I made my own low carb ketchup from a recipe I found on Pinterest. It was very easy to make, made with Stevia and is really good. It is cheaper than buying low carb ketchup if you can even find it. Plus, you know exactly what is in it...no crazy chemicals.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote