Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default Chocolate Chip Cookies, Healthy

Note: These were Excellent and should be called Wheat Chocolate Cookies. The cookie had a good crumb and 2 fit perfectly into a snack bag.

I changed the recipe by adding 1/4 cup Splenda, 1/8 tsp. Cardamom, and an extra 1/4 of Chocolate Chips for the top of the cookies. I toasted the wheat germ in a big skillet on gas mark 7 for 3 minutes turning once. I also used a medium ice cream scoop and patted down the cookie to about 3", they don't spread much, I only got 13 cookies and used a 1/2 sheet pan. So, each cookie is like 2 regular cookies. I didn't have white wheat flour and I used regular wheat flour, it made the cookies a darker color but they were still yummy. I will be making this recipe again. I baked them for 13 minutes and they came out great.

Chocolate Chip Cookies Healthy

Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup "white" whole-wheat flour (see note)
1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. In medium bowl, cream sugars with butter or margarine. Stir in vanilla, egg and water. Sift together flours, toasted wheat germ, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonful’s onto baking sheet and then flatten slightly with fork. Bake 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on baking sheet before removing to cool completely on wire racks.

Note: "White" whole wheat flour has a milder flavor than regular whole wheat flour. It is available in most supermarkets and whole food markets.

Makes, 24 cookies

Per cookie: 73 calories, 3 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 1 g dietary fiber, 68 mg sodium.

Last edited by JEN3; 04-08-2012 at 10:31 AM.
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote