Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #1  

Default slight injury, rest question...

ok, so I FINALLY got up to walking 5K and under 50min.

Well, today on my way out the door I tripped over the computer cord and when trying to stop myself somehow did something to my toe. I heard a pop or something at my joint on my big toe. It is so painful and slightly swollen. I even got to the track but 1/4 of the way, I just said NO WAY!!

I have somethig on it for the pain and keeping weight off it......but how long do you stay off for injuries? just til you feel better?

I am so disappointed....I really didn't need this at the beginning of my journey. Afraid this will set me back greatly
panshrmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

The length of time you will be out of commission depends if it's broken or sparined... if you can still walk on it, it's probably just sprained or bruised... Rest for a few days, ice it and elevate it, then see how you feel... If it's still really bad after a couple of days see your doctor...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3  

Default ended up going to the dr....

because my today was bruised and nasty!!! xray showed nothing broken, but dr said I severly injured my ligament in my toe

gave me anti inflammatory medicine and said to take it easy and that my walking 5K should be put off for a month

I will be taking it easy and seeing how it goes.....guess I should get used to yoga and weights, but stay away from walking....so discouraged....
panshrmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/136/125

Height: 5'6

Can you do the stationary bike? That might help build up endurance for your walking during the month you are keeping off that toe.

Don't get discouraged, injuries happen, and you can totally keep up with your awesome weight loss during your walking hiatus! Congratulations on the 10 lbs so far!!!!
WinterRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Luckily there are other things you can do - esp. like upper body - punches etc. [upper body kickboxing], biking, swimming [maybe -see how it feels] - so you don't have to quit entirely.

However, you don't want to keep the injury exacerbated - there is nothing wrong with taking a few days to heal - that's probably the best thing you can do for your body!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote