Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Default Going to cut down on fruit

I know for a fact that fruit does not cause me to crave sugar the way other carbs do. So i've been eating quite a bit of it...probably on average, 1 apple and 1 orange a day (occasionally more).

Other than that, i mainly eat vegetables, lots of meat/eggs/fish, cheese, and plain yogurt. Occasionally i eat nuts and beans (can't keep nuts in the house or else i will eat them all).

I still haven't lost weight I haven't been limiting my calories--just trying to focus on sticking with the right foods. So i guess it makes sense that i'm not losing weight. But it still upsets me because this is soooooo much healthier than what i used to eat (bagels, Triscuits, cookies, granola bars, chocolate) that i would think i'd lose weight.

I doubt that fruit is the culprit. But i need to do SOMETHING. So i'm going to try cutting back. Maybe an apple every other day or so.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

It all boils down to how much you are eating. You need to develop a way to find out how much of each thing you are eating. Measuring cups, spoons, and a gram scale will help to show you what a portion of something really is. It most likely is not what you think it is. It's a good thing that just because a diet is healthy does not automatically guarantee weight loss. Eventually we will have to maintain what we lose, and I will be doing that with healthy foods. I don't want to disappear! Also, do you exercise? Do you keep track of what you are eating? Many people on here use online resources to track their intake for them. All you have to do is enter what you eat-honestly. Don't downplay what you eat. Nobody eats 1/2 cup of spaghetti by instinct. It is a good thing you started with changing what you eat, now all you need to do is figure out how much to eat. There are many online weight calculators to help formulate a goal of how many calories to eat each day. It is not easy, but it is worth it. Now get going and don't stop!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 128lbs/99/99

Height: 5' 2"

According to Livestrong's calorie counter, you're consuming 27 grams of sugar with one 60cal plain yogurt, one apple, and one orange. If you eat 120-180 cals of plain yogurt, that jumps to about 31-36g of sugar.

A 12 oz Coca Cola has 39g.

I have a feeling the yogurt may be the culprit. Could be worse if you add sweetened granola to it.

Have you tried greek yogurt? It costs just a bit more but has so much more protein it and a bit less sugar per 50cal serving.
Moonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Yep i eat greek yogurt...it has 8 carbs per serving. I don't really count carbs, but just avoid things that are purely carbs (except for fruit, until now).

I know it's the calories, not the carbs, that are a problem. But, the goal is to figure out how to eat the right things so that i won't overeat. For example, i had to stop buying nuts...nothing wrong with nuts, except that i can't stop eating them.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

For me it depends on the type of fruit. I'm fine with an orange, it takes quite a bit of time to eat it. Nectarines though - I could eat 10, no problem. Same with plums, cherries - I could eat them all day. So I stay away from those.
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote