Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Heavy yet Active

This has been conflicting me the last few days and I just wanted to talk about it with someone/thing. The other day, someone made a comment to me, "If hooping burns a lot of calories, why are you still fat? And you don't even look good doing it."

I actually disagree. But the thing is with hula hooping for 30 minutes a day, I can maintain 250 easy while eating like a pig. Now, when I stopped hooping as much, I went up to 274. 275 is like no-no zone. It's way too close for 300 for me. I feel like a success that I lost the 15 pounds (I'm now at 248) with hooping and diet and I have successfully stayed away from 300 for 3 years.

My goal since Thanksgiving has been to lose or maintain. Yes, I'd like to lose fast but I don't really care. It's what I'm calling passive weight loss. If it involves 1-2 months perfect and 1 month of not so perfect, awesome. Also, the biggest difference on my weight loss right now is that I'm keeping it a psuedo-secret. I'm not blasting it on facebook or even telling my family other than my husband.

Is it horrible that I am not a perfect size 6? I've had others tell me that see me every day that my face has gotten thinner since October. None of my weight loss is noticeable. And I really don't care or I didn't until someone made that comment. It's just bringing me down. And this is the reason why I gave up a few years ago because the "weight wasn't coming off fast enough" or I didn't "look like I should." With this new mental change, I think it may help that mental platueu.

Last edited by Daimere; 04-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

What is hooping?

People are just mean. Was that a friend that said that to you? Awful. If you like doing it, keep doing it, no matter what they say.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't know what hooping is either, but I know that someone said something mean to you. As hard as it is we have to learn to ignore people who make hurtful remarks.
Congratulations on the weight you have lost and I agree that it is better not to inform the world that you are dieting, that is my approach as well. It seems that as soon as we announce we are on a diet the diet police appear and will comment on every bite we take and some of their comments are like the one you have already heard. Keep up the good work.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

She is refering to hula hooping.

And girl - people will make hurtful remarks just because they are in a bad mood, like to put people down, or whatever. I mean really, for someone to say you don't even look good doing it? Like we aim to please people's eyes when we are exercising? No!!! We are exercising because we know we should and "gasp" it feels good!

So keep doing what you are doing - exercising is good for your body no matter what size you are. You are building muscle, helping your heart and keeping ailments at bay. Along with it, you are slowly losing weight. Sounds all good to me!

Keep it up and ignore the haters of the world. They aren't worth your time.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ignore them. They're just upset that you're challenging their biased view of people. Heavy folks are "supposed" to be lazy right? Well here you are proving them wrong and all that. How dare you!

You're doing awesome, keep it up Hooping is wayyyy too much fun and it's awesome you found an exercise you love.

I remember when I lost weight to get down to around 200 and continued to exercise quite a bit. I maintained that weight for years eating whatever I wanted and I was perfectly happy and fine. I also loved the looks I got from people whenever I could outdo whatever they expected of me.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #6  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Change Your eating and hoop more or add some extra exercise and you'll lose. Like you said- Youhave to get over your mental hiccups to get to where you deserve to be- Healthy & Happier with yourself.
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Keep up the hooping, it sounds like so much fun. Why would someone think that is ok to say to you? Just do what you need to do and live your life how you know you need to. It's your workout and it's your life.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #8  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

IGNORE THEM!

Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your body. There's a great video on it here. But any form of exercise is great for you body.

As for the weight loss, congrats on what you've loss so far!!! FWIW, I started with exercise that then lead to a serious of changes in my food habits and I'm now only 4lbs away from a healthy BMI. Sure it took over 1.5 years to go there but you're always going in the right direction and THAT's what counts.

Ignore your friend and keep up the good work!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #9  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Never listen to anyone who makes a comment like "you don't look good doing that." Our purpose in life isn't to look good for other people, especially if we are exercising! Does anyone actually look good while exercising anyway? I understand that you found it hurtful because hooping is more than just exercise, but you really shouldn't care! People can be jerks, and you'll probably find that the people who matter aren't going to judge you like that.

Weight loss is a process, too. Sometimes it comes off fast, sometimes it comes off slow. Sometimes you just stall out for a while.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'm also an active fat girl and it pays off in SOOOooo many other ways.

Study after study has shown that being obese and active is better than being just obese or thin and unhealthy.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #11  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
Study after study has shown that being obese and active is better than being just obese or thin and unhealthy.
Ain't that the truth! I remember years ago at 230 I could outrun my "skinny their whole life" co-workers.

So everyone, when I refer to hooping, I mean hula hooping or hoopdance. Before that comment of these not so good friends, I had never gotten a negative comment on my hooping. Lately I've been trying to post at least one new video a week to help people realize their are different sizes in the hoop. Hooping has changed my life to the point where I'm going to be teaching a hoop class at a festival in October. I'm going to two movement festivals this summer. Hooping has inspired me and reinvigorated my weight loss. And I think it's always been the key to me not blowing up to 300 again.

Last edited by Daimere; 04-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

"You don't look good doing that" well sweetheart, you don't look good SAYING that! What a meanie!! I hope it wasn't a friend, horrible! If you like it, if it helps you maintain your weight, it's a no brainer! keep on hoooping baby!

ps I LOVE hula hoop on Wii and I admit I look like a fool doing it but no one would ever stop me mwahahahha!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #13  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
Ain't that the truth! I remember years ago at 230 I could outrun my "skinny their whole life" co-workers.

So everyone, when I refer to hooping, I mean hula hooping or hoopdance. Before that comment of these not so good friends, I had never gotten a negative comment on my hooping. Lately I've been trying to post at least one new video a week to help people realize their are different sizes in the hoop. Hooping has changed my life to the point where I'm going to be teaching a hoop class at a festival in October. I'm going to two movement festivals this summer. Hooping has inspired me and reinvigorated my weight loss. And I think it's always been the key to me not blowing up to 300 again.
I wish there was a Like button on here.

It just sounds amazing what you're doing. Please don't let the one critique get you down. Not only are you doing something good for your body but you're also passing it on to others!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/170

Height: 5'3

Lord have mercy. I hate haters like that. It takes all we have to be confident in ourselves and we find something we enjoy and are good at then someone has to go mess it up with their words. I don't care what anyone says, words can hue you!

I started taking a zumba class and I love it. I'm the only fat girl there and for the most part I don't care. The others are tiny moms who I'm sure have never struggled with weight. Let me tell you, I can out dance every single one of them so I take pride in going. However, if everyone weren't so supportive and the instructor so encouraging, I would give up just because I don't like the way my fat jiggles while I'm dancing... cuz I know what a girl with my moves should look like and that doesn't involve fat jiggle. LOL. But I'm gonna keep going until the body in the mirror is just a reflection and not a definition.

Anyway, keep it up!!!
kwigg619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #15  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
ps I LOVE hula hoop on Wii and I admit I look like a fool doing it but no one would ever stop me mwahahahha!
I never could do the wii version much. It always hurt my back. Now that I hula hoop, I tried to do the real way to hoop and all the "virtual hoops" dropped. lol