General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #1  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

Question slacking...but not with weight loss

I am doing good with my weight loss goals. Grant it, i do think i need to be more active, but im sticking with my diet and i exercise at least 3 times a week at the moment. I am proud of myself for these things, especially when i remember when i first came here, a few short weeks ago. I was in despair, and i didnt know how or where to start. You were all wonderful, encouraging, and helpful. Thank you.

Even though im doing good with my weight loss, im slacking in other departments. I am slacking this semester in school, more than i have ever before. WHICH IS AWFUL, since i have it all set up to graduate this semester and all i have to do is pass my classes! I am finding it difficult to even go to my classes, nearly impossible to do my homework, and FORGET studying. I cant figure out my reluctance? My apartment also suffers, it looks a mess, and every time i clean it, it seems to vomit up mess within 48 hours. I am not usually a messy person, so what is with this?

Work is normal, and yes i shower every day, I am sticking with my diet and exercising. So, why am i slacking so much with things crucial to my well being?

Could it have anything to do with weight loss? I really am at a loss. School bothers me the most and out of my eight classes, im worried about at least two!

Has anyone else experienced this? How are you dealing with it?

I hope i didnt post this in an inappropriate section, i wasnt exactly sure where it should go.
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I can't explain what you're going through. I do the same thing, though. In my case, it's usually a situation of "something's gotta' give". I have placed greater focus on my exercise, but that means my time spent doing other things has to give. Usually house work is the first to go. I started exercising and prioritizing it, and my house fell apart.

Lately, however, I'm having troubles staying focused on my weight loss goals. Sticking with my diet seems to be my problem these days, and I can't figure out why.

It seems like it should be the opposite. You're feeling good about your weight loss and exercise goals, so you should be running on all the good hormones, driving to do everything else too, right? That's how it should be!

The only thing I can suggest is "just do it". You have to just keep these things on your mind and reset your goals. I love Flylady, and you can use some of her methods, like "just 15 minutes". Set a timer and pick a room and clean for 15 minutes. You'll need more than that for studying so maybe you need to set aside some time. You'll study for an hour and then when you're done, you can do your exercise routine. Go to class and then review your material for 30 minutes and then you can do whatever you want.....

For me, studying and snacking always went hand in hand so maybe that's a factor?

Good luck. I hope you get a better answer from someone else!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have the tendency to do the same thing when I'm starting out with weight loss. I get so focused on my plan and reading about other people's success and coming here a million times a day, planning meals etc. etc. and other things tend to suffer. (For me it's work, not school, but that's probably as bad, if not worse.)

Finding a balance has always been a challenge for me in all aspects of my life, but as someone who's failed to keep the weight off before, I think it's really important to figure out a way to balance your life. If you're focused to the detriment of everything else, it's really easy to gain the weight back as soon as you take your eye off the ball, if you will.

Of course, that's just my own experience and might not apply to you at all. Could be you just have senioritis; I battled that my last semester pretty hard as well.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Maybe somehow, somewhere deep down, you are not feeling ready to graduate and move on to the next step? My last semester was like that too.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #5  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

Oh, no, i know im absolutely ready to graduate. It registered when thistoo said senioritis. Im getting 3 degrees, so its not the end of school, its just the end of the work for the first degree. Im ready to move on and do something different, and i think that excitement causes me to be bored with the tediousness of finishing this semester.

Thanks for all the device. I know the solution is to "jsut do it", it just makes me groan and whine.

On a good note, i sat down with my dance teacher after class tonight and discussed classes, time missed, my success. She is amazing and we have it all worked out! In the matter of minutes i eliminated worry. I think im going to try to take this week to focus on school and manage it all so i feel more relaxed about it. One of the biggest things that puts me off is worry, when i eliminate worry, i tend to do better.

On an excellent note, i really noticed my weight loss when standing in front of the mirrors in class!!!!!
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

You're not alone. I am going through the exact same thing right now.

I too came here only a few short weeks ago, and ever since I got serious about losing weight I have not been able to concentrate at uni, keep my apartment tidy, or do anything really apart from exercise and strictly monitor my diet. The weight loss thing is, of course, great - but I don't want to fail uni either. I just don't know how to spread myself equally to the different aspects of my life.

I think the advice here is really great but I know I'm still going to struggle. This weight loss caper is taking it all out of me. I know I need to focus on my coursework but I just can't help feeling as if it's insignificant in comparison to the amount of weight I need to lose to be able to fully live my life, even though I know that's not true. I need both equally as much.

Ugh. I'm so behind. *tears*
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy23 View Post
I know I need to focus on my coursework but I just can't help feeling as if it's insignificant in comparison to the amount of weight I need to lose to be able to fully live my life, even though I know that's not true. I need both equally as much.
Amy, one thing that sometimes helps me is to write down a schedule, hour by hour. Then I make a list of the stuff I need to get done, and plan out a day or two days or a week or whatever it takes, choosing the times I am going to get that stuff done.

Then, of course, you have to make yourself stick to the schedule. But once you get your workload back under control you'll FEEL so much better, so it's worth it. When I do this I have to write down EVERYTHING, even scheduling internet breaks and classes and eating, and stick to it as closely as possible.

It can help you feel more in control, and once you're caught up you won't feel so frantic.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #8  

I too had been through that phase--when you do not want to do anything or accomplish anything except your weight loss goals. At first, it was alright with me as I thought the feeling would eventually go away. But in the long run things started getting really bad and my family started to notice the changes and my failure to do things.

I was able to realize what was wrong with me when I had the chance to talk to a friend of mine who was taking up a course in nutrition. She told me to look at the things that I was eating because the laziness might be due to my lack of energy. I then realized that indeed, my diet has made me really slow and weak and made me tire out easily. That was why I didn't like to do anything.

Our body needs energy to function, and we get that energy from food (calories to be more specific). If you eat very little, then you will not have enough energy to do all of your activities. Take a look at your diet. Maybe you need to make amends with it.

I hope I have helped.
karaheissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #9  

When I first lost weight, I had pretty much my lowest GPA ever.
I can handle weight loss now, but I don't do much else other than what I need to get done. People are like "why are you always too tired to go out" and I'm like "cause im walking all day when I'm not cooking!" its not easy to be at a calorie deficit for so long. because I can't have it (I'm buckling down for the last pounds), junk food is on my mind a lot.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #10  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me I find weightloss is one of the hardest habits to get into so I tend to when I'm starting, or restarting, or trying to stay on track make it my number one priority and just worry about that. Right now it's my number one prioity as well. I want to become obessed with it, make it my habit, make sure I'm constantly eating properly and working out. I tend to fall back into old habits quickly so right now I'm just determined to concentraite on weight loss. Once I get into the habit that it becomes something I hardly have to think about and just do it, I'll worry about the rest as it comes along!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote