Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

My Atkins friendly low carb smoothy..... Half a cup of choc unsweetened almond mink half cup reg unsweetened almond milk a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder a tad bit of cream 1 oz raspberries and a tspn of splenda and some ice. Add more splenda if your not counting carbs and like it sweeter.

Last edited by Brooklynn; 03-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #2  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Default Share your smoothie!

I've been on a real smoothie kick lately and I am always looking for new ideas.

My current smoothie of choice is 1 banana, half a scoop of plant based vanilla protein powder, about 3/4 c almond milk, and some ice.
Simple but it tastes just like a banana milkshake to me!

What is you favorite smoothie?
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Cup of homemade kefir, tablespoon of maple syrup, and a handful of whatever berries (rasp, straw, black, blue) I have in the freezer. I think I like rasp/blue smoothies the best but I love the smell when i open a bag of frozen strawberries - they smell like summertime and remind me of the warm sunny day when they were picked.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I've been on a PB2 kick lately. Here are my favorite smoothies:

1 banana
3tbsp PB2
1 Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt

1/2 cup strawberries
3tbsp PB2
1 Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt

Annnd there's been times when I wanted to up the protein (both of those have ~12-13g though) so I've added in some egg beaters.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #5  

I've been lurking for a while and getting all of your good ideas. Here is my current smoothie recipe.

I have developed a sort-of smoothie that really fills you up for about 60-90 calories, depending on what kind of milk you use. This is not a nutritional smoothie, but rather a treat that will make you feel like you are having a big dessert, but really you are just getting some milk and a few calories from the other ingredients.

You must use a regular sized food processor, not a blender, not a mini-chopper. It will NOT WORK in a regular blender. It might in a vita-mix or something like that, but I don't have a fancy blender.

You must also buy xanthan gum and guar gum powders. These are available at health food stores, and cost quite a bit, but will last you a long time since you use a tiny bit of each. Some people's digestive systems don't tolerate these, but most people are fine with them.

Detailed instructions:

Put approximately 1 cup to 1.5 cups of ice cubes in your food processor. Blend until a fine ice powder is reached. You don't want chunks of ice, but more snow-like texture.

Add 1/2 cup of milk. I use 2%, but if you wish, you can use skim.I have never tried this with alternative milks, but I know that it doesn't work well with water, as the milk is necessary to get the creamy texture. Again, process in FP until well mixed. You may need to use a rubber spatula to combine well.

Add a packet of crystal light, or if you want, 2/3 or so of a packet of sugar-free Jello powder, whichever flavor you like. The jello has more calories. I LOVE the pink lemonade, and orange jello. I also like the lemon lime Crystal light, and raspberry is ok too. I have not tried all flavors. Again, process in FP. Start it on a slow speed so that the powder doesn't go flying around in you FP and coat the top of the machine.

Note: If you want this to be really filling, use the Crystal light that has fiber in it, or add a tsp or so of fiber yourself. It will make you feel quite full. It can also give you a stomach ache, so watch how much fiber you can tolerate.

Once well blended, add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum and 1/4 teaspoon guar gum. Again, start your FP slowly so the powder doesn't go flying. Then process on high for 30 seconds or so. DO NOT OVERPROCESS or it will get a very weird texture.

Serve! I eat it in a frosted glass with a spoon. This makes two servings, or one really big serving. I keep the leftovers in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes, but it will degrade as the ice melts or if it freezes completely.

Variations with slightly higher calorie content:

Chocolate

Use four tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder instead of Crystal Light or Jello with sweetener (I like Splenda, or Stevia sometimes). Cocoa usually has between 15-20 calories per tablespoon, but it also has valuable anti-oxidants, so it is good for you, unlike the alternatives. I cut down on the ice when I do the cocoa version.

Coffee

Add instant coffee granules (I use decaf so I am not up all night!) and sweetener.

I am sure there are other variations, but these have been my most successful experiments to date! Sometimes I feel like a mad food scientist doing this.
hwertheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/193.2/135

I use a mini-blender and I don't necessarily measure carefully, but my favorite smoothie consists of:

1/2c 0% plain greek yogurt
1/2c frozen blueberries
1 banana
1/2-3/4c orange juice
SweetPeach3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

My favorite one is:

2/3 frozen banana
1.5 tbsp instant coffee
1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 scoop protein powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
2/3 cup almond breeze unsweetened vanilla

check a picture of this one on my blog, i recently posted this actually
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPeach3388 View Post
I use a mini-blender and I don't necessarily measure carefully, but my favorite smoothie consists of:

1/2c 0% plain greek yogurt
1/2c frozen blueberries
1 banana
1/2-3/4c orange juice
and this sounds so good! nice smoothie
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

This may sound weird, but its really REALLY good.

Orange smoothie
WW vanilla smoothie powder (Or any vanilla flavor protein powder or even vanilla extract)
1 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup water
1 - 2 frozen banana
1 cup diet orange soda

Orange Creamsicle smoothie, yum.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

I'm on a PB2 kick lately too.

Banana-Strawberry-Peanut Butter Smoothie

1/2 Banana (I eat the other half)
3-5 Strawberries (Depending on size)
2 Tablespoons PB2
1 Scoop Vanilla Soy Protein
1 cup Almond Milk (I'm lactose intolerant other milks would work fine!)

This makes about 2 cups worth. I need to make it a bit smaller because I can never finish it!
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I made smoothies a lot last summer and will start up again soon. I use homemade lowfat yogurt and frozen berries - that's it. I might add a bit of splenda for sweetener. Adding protein powder is a good idea too - I'll have to try that to boost the protein a bit.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/166/130

I make green smoothies - a banana, a handful of berries and a handful of whatever greens I have on hand, usually spinach. Mix it with a little bit of water and that's it! It always comes under 200 calories and fills me up really well.
jennybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

My go to smoothie is:

1 Banana
1 sup of fresh or frozen Strawberries
1 cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze
1 box of soft tofu

Put all ingredients in the blender and give it a whirl.

Mmmmm!

I do not add sweeteners of any kind as I don't like really sweet things.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #14