Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default April Running - Calling ALL runners!!!!

I've been doing this thread for over a year now (I actually think I stole it from someone January 2011) but over the months partipation has dwindled and I want it back!!!! So I want ALL runners to join in report, share and join together to make April our best month of running EVER!

I don't care what your status as a runner is, if you run whether it be a minute or a mile you are A RUNNER! Even if your injured or taking a break, join us!

I started running in January of 2010, could barely make it 5 minutes, two weeks ago today, I ran a marathon! So anyone can do this so let's do it!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Today I'm headed out for 6-8 miles...slept in today cause it was too windy to drag my toosh out there this morning. I'm still recovering from my marathon, which has been quite a humbling experience. I've never needed recovery time from a race before, so this is quite new territory for me. I'm still taking it slow and not at 100% effort on my runs yet.

Tomorrow I will be technically starting my next training cycle, but I will still be taking it easy until things feel more normal and I'm metally comfortable pushing myself. My new goal is no longer distance, but speed. This will be an entirely new thing for me. While I have done speed work in the past, I've never focused on it or pushed myself and up until my marathon, I've never really races, I've just run. So I'm excited for this new chapter and excited to see how far I can take it.

Happy running!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

I've been getting a lot more serious about running. Most days I run 4 miles -- on the weekends I run 6 miles. I hurt my back pretty badly on Friday and so I've had to take a couple of days off, but I'm hoping to be back at it tomorrow.

My youngest kid (nearly 8) and I are running a kids' marathon in two weeks. We run a mile or so a day together and then on the day of the marathon he runs the last 1.2 miles and then gets the same finisher's medal that the adults do. I'm looking forward to introducing him to the festival atmosphere of road races and I might run a 5k that day if my back gets better within the next few days.

I've been running in minimalist shoes lately and have been pleasantly surprised by how much they diminish what I thought were weight-related injuries and pains.

Nice to see this thread!
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

ncuneo: thanks for the new thread! and again: awesome on the marathon! I registered for a 10mile big run in Amsterdam in september (the biggest running event of the year) and am gonna register for half a marathon in november. Should be do-able!

----
I am ALMOST done with my 1 week running break. LOL. It's so hard to not go out for a run. I've been on the elliptical and stationary bike more than I care to just to get my cardio in.

Reason for the break being that I am off to a bit of an over-enthousiastic start since I managed to go beyond 1mile at the end of january to 4 to 6 miles these last few weeks. My jump has been too big or the time between my runs too short or maybe my stretching too little, I started feeling like I was developing shin splints. My legs are completely fine after 5 days of no running but will see how I do after my first run after my break on tuesday.

You girls can help me pace myself! Oh, and I'll start stretching religiously, I also got some anti-inflammatory naproxen and will take one on my run day and use the recently bought icepack if I feel any discomfort. I am starting with weight training so hope to train my muscles around my ankles and calves and have it help. I basically am doing everything I can think of to make sure I never get REAL shin splints. It just scares me to get running injuries so I am overly careful. If the pain/discomfort returns right away tuesday I will get my shoes checked out, but they were measured in the store, quite expensive and have done me just fine on my runs mostly. It's when I upped distance and frequency I had discomfort.

So yeh. That's me. LOL.

Last edited by philana; 04-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I ran 8 miles this morning in cold drizzly rain. I have no idea why this is happening, but over the last 3 weeks or so, my running times have improved DRAMATICALLY. I typically run a 10:30 mile. Today I ran the 8 in 1:15:39 - that's less then a 9:30 mile! I'm not consciously pushing myself at all, either.

2.5 weeks until my surgery and then at least 6 weeks off running Just as I'm getting good!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

OK fair game ncuneo, I'll try to participate in this thread more often

I am training for a half marathon on May 20th. Ran 9 yesterday... the 7th mile of which was all uphill, whew! That was tough. But I don't even really feel sore today which makes me really happy! I am a yoga buff and practice 4-5 times a week... sometimes it can be hard to manage both but I think overall it's helping my recovery time so far.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
I ran 8 miles this morning in cold drizzly rain. I have no idea why this is happening, but over the last 3 weeks or so, my running times have improved DRAMATICALLY. I typically run a 10:30 mile. Today I ran the 8 in 1:15:39 - that's less then a 9:30 mile! I'm not consciously pushing myself at all, either.

2.5 weeks until my surgery and then at least 6 weeks off running Just as I'm getting good!
That's great! I find that my improvements tend to come on all of a sudden too 6 weeks off! Might sound scary, but it seems you have enough of a base that won't lose all your fitness and bounce back quickly.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #8  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Thanks for starting a new thread Ncuneo

8 miles DONE today! I got a later start than I was expecting, but I woke up at 2am, back to sleep @ 4am, then woke back up after hitting snooze @ 0730! I wanted to begin my run at 0730--oh well, 9ish it was!
I had my pre-run fuel and remembered my GU for after the 1st 45 min.
If you've never tried GU, I recommend it--especially the Roctane--2x Caffeine. Yeah--yeah I know not good to inhale a bunch of artificial Pump-Up while training, but the extra push sure is nice when you're legs are heavy!

After the run, I took my K9s for the Recovery Walk 1.28 miler.

My time sucks! I walked a total of 10 times for 1 min each. It was hot here, like mid 80s. I had a bandana and a running cap on, which held the heat in my body. I'm not too concerned with the time. Just to be able to run 8 miles at one time is pretty awesome for a gyal like me.

Next week: 9 miles!

I had been experiencing a mild case of tendonitis on my right posterior tibial tendon. I bought new shoes, new socks (for previous blisters), and new inserts. I also RICEd it for over a week. I have FINALLY been able to run pain/blister free! The only issue I'm having now is with my right 2nd toe. I think I will lose this nail like I did the left one. It is super tender on the tip!

Oh, for those unaware--My first 1/2 Mary is April 28!

Last edited by K9Owner; 04-01-2012 at 03:51 PM.
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

K9-
i also have post tib tendonitis... do you have high arches? what STYLE of shoe do you run in? not brand, rather neutral, stability, minimalist, etc.....?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #10  
~Krystal~

mk:Stability. I have a little overpronation.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/197/129

Default You said ALL runners, so...

I just started the C25K program TODAY! I guess today is the first day of the rest of my life, huh?

Sunday, April 1: Week 1, Day 1
Distance: 1.5 miles
Time: 25.53
Average Pace: 17:11/mi

~Peri
Periwinkle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i like to run too...i can run a mile without stopping but i tend to run by breaking things into intervals because i get so easily bored LOL

i'd like to run a 5K in the fall...right now i have 45 minutes daily on the treadmill that i used to run 2 miles or less in intervals of half miles...also been working on speed...i have a hard time with faster speeds because my hips dont rotate properly to propel my legs that fast or a long enough stride...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Trying to jump on here.... Did 9 miles this morning , doing 1 tomorow and starting weigth training again. Doing a half marathon on may 6 and planin on a full on october.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186.6/181/164

Height: 5' 8.5"

Hey ladies! I do interval running myself but am also having a week off because of a painful calf.

How do you all deal with weight loss while running? Did your weight slow down at all??
LondonGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #15  
~Krystal~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGirl88 View Post

How do you all deal with weight loss while running? Did your weight slow down at all??
I have stopped trying to lose now that I am training for this 1/2. I have to eat too much to stay fueled for training to concentrate on a deficit at this point.