Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~April Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

thanks Bobbi
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi -

Isabella - how did the singing and the benefit go?

Karen 3 - congrats on the bridge wins!

Bobbi - you help your DH work on his car? If I tell my DH - you will be his dream girl!

Last edited by deelee10; 03-31-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #4  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Dee, yes but it's mostly girly work. I already re-apolstered the front and back seats last summer. Now I have to cut out the material on the bias (DH doesn't even know what a bias is), hot glue it to the precut panels and then tack it unto the wood inside the car interior. The tacks have small heads and you have to work the material around the tacks so the tack heads don't show. We offered to pay for half of Tiff's kitchen remodeling and we'll have to get the car finished and sold to pay it off. DH shouldn't have purchased the old car in the first place but..............he did. Well, back to the basement to work on his signs. DH stenciled the letters on the board and I'm filling the letters in with permanent markers. I feel like I'm a kid coloring again.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #5  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rosey, does DH like that the pups play with his leather slippers? I’m glad Gizmo is in the playing mood again.

Deelee, don’t feel bad about long posts. I like them. Heck, I write them. Thanks for bringing the HRT and BHRT discussion thread to the top. I read it and then the Wikipedia info on it. At the moment, I’m pretty much symptom free with HRT so I’m not going to play with it. But… in the future I might.

Gee Bobbi, I sort of liked the last word I played on Words. At least the game is semi competitive again. DH just shook his head as he saw the 4 turns of vowels. He said there was no way I’d win. He’s probably right but I did like using all my tiles on a triple (and double) word square. BTW, with the way the snow is dumping form the sky, we could have a snowball fight. BTW, my DH has/had antique vehicles. He had a 1934 GMC truck that was adorable. I make DH do all his upholstery. I’ll help buy the leather (at SR Harris fabric outlet in Plymouth, MN), let him use my old sewing machine but no way do I do it.

Mary, I never played Farmville but I know friends that have become addicted to it. I don’t think you have to pay to play it on FB.

Brenda, as a birdie flies, your DH’s sister is only about 200 miles from me but as a person can drive, much, much further. She lives in a beautiful area. Probably far enough inland not to be doused in fog day in and out???

Another fruitful day for my vet. We brought Blizzie in to learn how to give her shots (so we don’t have to bring her three times a week) and have her patella checked if that was what was causing her to buckle to the floor. The vet said the knee was fine and she and DH decided she must be having a muscle spasm. They cheerfully agreed with each other. Hello, I’m the only one that has seen the episodes. Anyway, she’s been prescribed extra potassium. I love that the vet said to first try banana chips and if she didn’t like it they have a chewable tab for her. She LOVES the banana chips. The other pups are jealous.

Then we stopped at DS and DIL’s house to drop off the shower gift. Because I’m still movement restricted, I can’t go to the baby shower this afternoon. This way I got to see all the painting and decorating they’ve done in their new home. It looks great. While we were out, it decided to drench with snow. I mean it was near white-out. Very weird. Now it is just snowing heavily. Yucky spring.
Marie
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #6  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Quick Hola and Happy April thread...
Marie - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the stained glass that goes with the quilt! What wonderful gifts!!! You and DH can pat each other's back or whatever. Good job... Glad Blizzie likes her banana chips... these animals! I swear.... Pats to Blizzie, Sasha, Kody, Beloved, David, and you...

Rosey - Toots and Gizmo sound like they're perfectly suited... sort of like Rosey and Mr. Crankypants, dontcha think? Pats to Daisy and Sadie, too..

Had a lovely, piddly day... read a book (Barbara Delinsky's Looking for Peyton Place), good; crocheted, made a stuffed cabbage casserole, showered, took a nap (took a NAP! wow...), and generally just enjoyed. It's warm here today, but we're looking at the white stuff or maybe just the wet stuff on Monday.

Hope you're all having a good weekend. I don't feel personal today. Oh! CK called earlier and sounds good. She's totally bereft by the lack of internet... soon, though! She says hello to one and all...

Later, lovelies!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Bobbi - It may be girlie stuff to you but my DH would love it. I did help him pick out some leather for some ripped things on his boat. He took it to a woman with a professional machine to stitch it up.

Marie - I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix." Hope you keep feeling better.

Didn't much done today. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Marie - You're right I never thought about the dye adding to my weight but I know I've been eating too much too often. Not every day but that's my problem I am not consistent. It was not only my weight that motivated me but also my health. I am feeling better now but I don't want to feel that way anymore and suspect my weight is a contributing factor regardless of the cause. I haven't done as well today as yesterday with my eating though...it's been a busy day and I didn't track...got off this am and never got back to it. When I do that I usually eat too much but I am trying to save the rest of the day so hopefully I won't have done much damage. I wasn't hungry for dinner so didn't eat much. One thing that is helping me, I have a new medication (for hernia) that I take twice a day and I can't take it with food so either have to take it before I eat or two hours after eating. I'm taking the last dose at bedtime so that means I can't eat past about 9 pm. That is usually my cutting off time anyway but sometimes I don't, now I have to. See, I have to play these games with myself, set up rules etc. Doesn't always work of course, but it helps.

We are watching previous episodes of Fringe in an attempt to understand the show better and we will be watching one or two tonight. I like the show but this is our first season to watch it and we are confused.

Last edited by maryea; 03-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #9  

Hi everyone. another beautiful day here. i sat on the porch in the sun and it felt so good. heard from my dd and they made it to watson lake. getting closer i did some organizing of my craft area today. it looks nice now and i can find my scrapbook stuff. Marie the dh doesnt mind that the little dogs play with his slippers however sadie is way more destructive and she would eat them. we are trying to train her to go in the car however my dh left her to long unattnded and she chewed a bottle of motor oil full of holes and ate part of the knob on the shifter. he was hopping mad but his fault. hes making a doggy barrier for the back of the car, then she can go and not do any damage. i just finished watching bridesmaids,2nd time and i picked up on some of the funny things id missed. its a silly flick but sometimes silly is good. hope your weekend awsome rosey

breakfast
coffee

lunch
ham roll ups(lunch meat 1/2 piece of cheese,sweet banana peppers)
iced tea

snack
coffee mocha
4 pretzel sticks ,grapes

dinner
salad with chix chunks
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Our beautiful, warm weather is gone. It rained all day Friday and was wet and cold Saturday. Today looks like more of the same. I did go shopping yesterday, mostly just to get out, but picked up a few new tops in spring colors. Haven't gotten any summer shoes yet, but the feet, nor the weather, are ready from them yet. going this week for a pedi. The kiddies are on vacation so I'll have extra time. Went to get new credentialing at the hospital. the testing was much less hard than the dreading it was. But, isn't that the way most things are?

Rie, My sister c/o hair loss when she lost weight too. I think she solved that problem with some vitamins. I make sure I take the ones that I take, especially when I'm eating less and maybe not getting all the neutrition I should be getting. How was the pool tournament? I hope you kicked a$$ and took names.

Z, Adorable pictures of the kiddies. And you're looking pretty awsome yourself. You need to call and thank whoever gave you those cheekbones.

Isabella, how did the singing go? I hope they loved the cakes, after all the effort you put into not eating them! I don't like icing...at least most icing. Which i am very grateful for. I love so many foods I really appreciate the ones I don't like.

Rosie, Sounds like your daughter is getting close. when will she get there? You must be getting anxious and excited.

Mary, I play games and make deals with myself too. I am easily bribed. farmville is free and it's easy to play. I wasn't very good at it, because I lost interest so quickly. my crops always died. But I know some people really get adicted.

Jess, Glad you had a lovely, quite day. I haven't read that book, but a lot of her other ones. I'm reading the new Michael Palmer book "oath of office". It's pretty good.

Marie, the airplane quilt was beautiful, but I was talking about the one you said you were going to make next. The Amish one? Very colorful, but not as hard as I thought at first.

Bobbi, I have a little Shih Tzu. he weighs about 13 pounds. We just had him at the vets for his check up and she said his heart is fine, but she doesn't think he can see much any more. I could have told her that. He doesn't hear well either, but he's so loving and sweet. How is Charlie? Have you have the lumps looked at yet? Ben has a couple too, but she said they were nothing. I don't know how old Charlie is, but I think they can get fatty tumors, especially when they get older.

Dee, We LOVE long posts! Please post all you like.

Freda
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #11  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG’s,

One day down ~ two to go (didn‘t win the mega millions, so have to go back ~ LOL). Was a decent day yesterday ~ got out on time. Hope the next two are good ones.

Dad said Mom might get to come home from the hospital today. She was in for over the weekend for observation ~ was having trouble with her blood pressure being high and they were trying to figure out why and then take measures to correct it. She sounded good yesterday when I talked to her. I miss not being able to talk to her as much ~ she is my phone buddy

Hope you all have a good weekend

Take care
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have very very thick hair. All those of you with thin hair, don't be jealous. With thin hair, you can always add products to add body to it, but when it's too thick there's not much you can do. It's very unruly and it really makes me perspire in the summer. I wish it would thin out a bit. It's supposed to happen as you get older, but no such luck!

Gayle - I am glad the DR put your mom in the hospital to investigate the problem with her blood pressure. Mostly, they just up the meds when it might be something else actually causing the rise. I hope they figure this out for her.

I didn't win the big lottery either! LOL

Bobbi - Is there anything you can't do? LOL You seem to have so many things going and you're good at all of them! That in itself will keep you young.

Maryea - You must be in pretty good physical condition if you did the treadmill test without much effort. Hopefully the results will be good. I forgot about your hernia, so that might be what was causing your pain. I feel bad that you're having problems keeping your weight under control after losing so well with the weight program you were on before. I wonder why that is? Unless there was something in the food that caused your body to lose weight, it must have been the portion control, or the food may have been extremely low fat. I do this with regular food. I lose 10 lbs or so, then put it back on and then some, then do it over again. Mine is because I just get tired of watching so closely and start back eating bad foods and larger portions. But you seem to be watching what you eat and how much, and I just don't get it.

Marie - I hope you're feeling better soon. When do you go back to the doctor? You probably said.....

I hope Sasha feels better soon, too. Like I said about the Visine, I know it doesn't have any medicine in it to help with the problem, but it must have given our little Mikey some relief because when DH would bend down to put the drops in, Mikey would walk right over and hold his face up toward DH. He knew soothing relief was on the way! It also might have been "time" that took away the swelling. That was my main concern.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This is really a long shot, but I have a question about an old book I read and since most of you are close to my age, someone might know what it is.

It was back in the mid 80's when I read it. I don't remember the title or the author, but it was about a young woman who got pregnant to her well-to-do- boyfriend and he made her get an abortion that left her sterile, then dumped her. She was determined to get revenge. Somehow she worked her way up to owning her own business, and little by little she ruined him financially without his knowing who was doing it.

I tried to sign up for a website called Book Sleuth, where you can post such questions and see if anyone can answer, but after I signed up I was supposed to get an email confirming my membership, but I never got it.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #14  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Donna, I like the stained glass too. It’s pretty cool to have them both. I saw DGS’s bedroom (all the decorations are now done) yesterday and they should look great. Beloved, Sasha, Blizzie and Kody all send wonderful welcomes to Sabrina (or Sabrino if that is the case). I bet SamCat is just pruning his fur having a young babe lusting after him.

Mary, I think I’d like having a med that says to take it on an empty stomach. That would force me to let my stomach get empty. What is Fringe about? I’m going to need another show to stream on Netflix soon.

Rosey, we bought one of those dog barriers for an SUV and my huskies just knocked it down. Sadie is a little young to leave more than a couple minutes in a vehicle. She still a chewer. Maybe 2 or 3 more years.

Freda, I’m glad the credentialing is done. That has to be a relief. I also try to bribe myself. Occasionally it works and most of the time it doesn’t. Yeah, I’m looking forward to the new quilt stuff to arrive. I think taking it in five chunks will make it much easier to put together. I did decide to buy more fabric (locally) so that I can match my bedroom easier and I’m going to make two at once. Then I’m going to give DD the original one since she asked for a quilt and really liked the Amish one. I figure I won’t tell her it is for her. Even DH loved that idea.

Gayle, I know that not winning the mega million blues of having to return to working. I was really quite sure I’d be able to retire, find a crone circle location and have my 3FC GGs sitting in a circle.

Carol Sue, I love that Mikey would want his drops. We’re to a point of nearly wrestling Sasha. Kody, the main jack derriere, let’s me put his eye meds in without problem. But Sasha is ridiculous. I believe DH will be happy when the doctor releases to play again. Then I believe he will relinquish all doggie tasks with relish. BTW, I go weekly to the doctor. Also check your spam filter as well as the spam email filter for your Book Sleuth email.

So we had this obnoxious snow yesterday while out and about. During my nap (yes Donna, we are alike), nearly all of it melted. This morning I wake up to all white again. I want to be like Rosey and be able to sit outside for a while. But, I am enjoying a nice hot mocha and have my happy light on. Life is pretty darn good.
Marie
Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Happy April Fools day

My ds celebrated the day by texting me a pic of a positive pregnancy test today, followed by an april fools text! What a funny guy. I told him that I was going to slap him when I see him.

Carol, I don't know that book but it sounds vaguely familiar.

Marie, I have sure enjoyed our words games. And I am loving the new kindle. It is lightning fast and so much easier to use than my computers.

Bobbi, thanks for starting the new thread. I am totally impressed that you can do those car seats! I can't wait to see pictures of the car when it is finished. What color is it?

Freda, good for you on getting a few spring tops. My DIL has told me not to worry about clothes for her show but I am going tomorrow after work to see what I can find. I despise clothes shopping.

DeeLee, glad that you are hanging in there and posting with us.

Karenfl. Keep kicking a$$ at the card table! Wahoo.

Donna, your day sounds absolutely perfect. I was looking at "handle with care" and I am glad that I hesitated. It turns out that I read it already... It was really good.

Mary, I am thinking good thoughts and hoping for good results from your test.

Gayle, glad that you got out on time yesterday and hoping for two more days like that. Too bad we couldn't win the lottery!

Isabella, it sounds like we both had the baking challenges this week. I'll bet you sang beautifully.

Zoe, your pics are wonderful.

Rosie, I have been so tickled with the idea of your dd's trip to AK. What an adventure!

CaddyK, miss you!

Gotta go.

Rie
Closed Thread