Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #1  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Default Canadian SPRING has SPRUNG thread! :)

I don't think I've ever started a thread. So here it is. I hope it is appropriately spring-like.

Happy Friday Ladies - I am at my desk and happily in-between supervising drama students for today. I just about ran off to Tim's for a large coffee and yogurt, but decided --a litre of water before I go anywhere. I know that coffee is my goal but usually turns into some baked delight, so there's one good decision. ALSO: Did not smoke on my drive into work so can I get a WOOT for that? woot!! Lol.
In other happy news I have discovered CBC music. OMG is it good. I'm listening to Canadian songwriters and I feel all tapped into the cultural side of my days. I'm off to finish a painting and maybe a walk later!! I hope you all have a GREAT weekend and here's to a lovely Spring!! Cheers!!
Tam
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

TAM ~ thanks for starting our new spring thread; I just realized that officially spring is supposed to start on the 20/21st (I think) ...

Congrats on cutting down on that smoking; that's exactly what DH and I did over 9 years ago (March 20, 2003 was our official quit day).

We cut back first, making rules about where we could and couldn't smoke -- for instance, first big rule was NO SMOKING in the bathroom or bedrooms (we never smoked in our sleeping bedroom; I mean, our spare rooms like the office/PC & utility rooms). Smoking was only allowed in the kitchen/livingroom at that point.

Then DH couldn't smoke in his workshop; and eventually the car either, esp if I was with him. If he was alone, he had to open the windows and could only take 1-2 ciggies with him; eventually, he stopped taking any and would wait until he got home. He smoked a lot more than me so that was really good of him. BTW, we both agreed to these rules and DH set his own pace (I'm just teasing about the drill sergeant thing).

DH made me homemade substitute ciggies from dowels (I still have a jar of them as a reminder), but you can buy them now. I also chewed sugar-free gum and DH sucked on NSA candies (so we wouldn't gain weight). Plus, DH took long, long walks to help his nerves; eventually going a few times a day. This is actually how he started his "scrapping" hobby ...

Then, we started rolling our own ciggies (I mean the kind with the tubes). Some people wouldn't like to do that, but not only did that save us more money but it took more time and bother, which worked as a great delaying technique too. Just before we quit, we had our ciggie costs down to $50.00 a month for both of us, then we took the plunge and quit for good.

We really believe this gradual cessation process enabled us to be successful. We had tried all-out cold turkey without cessation before that, but DH found it too hard. The gradual process got his body more accustom to less ciggies & nicotine well ahead of time (at one point, he had been smoking 2-3 packs a day at work).

It was the best thing we ever did -- we not only have more cash at our disposal (here ciggies cost $7-$9 a pack depending on where you shop), but all DH's coughing & hacking, allergies & asthma, and breathing issues went away completely; no more pumps and trips to the hospital for oxygen.

We now ask friends & relatives not to smoke here, but they have 2 porches to smoke in, and the basement in the wintertime. To me, it is a matter of respect for people who have worked so hard to quit. I'm not trying to preach here, just sharing becuz March is STOP SMOKING MONTH for a lot of people, just like us.

GOOD LUCK to all those who "GO FOR IT" this month -- and for those who succeed and to you, TAM ...

BTW, I enjoy listening to CBC as well, esp to the music programs ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/160?

Height: 5'8

Smile

Hey Ladies! Yay for spring!! I'm glad you like my avatar Rosebud, if only it were that easy to get rid of the fat eh? lol.

Grats Tam on cutting back! Keep it up! I It's all about small steps

We are heading back to normal seasonal temperatures (too bad I did enjoy the early summer!) Hope everyone has a good weekend!
lyrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #4  
Rosebud

LYRICAL ~ oh, how I wish it were so ... DEAR FAT, GET OUT & STAY OUT!!!

Our temps are a bit colder here too, but so far we've only had which isn't so bad -- very spring-like weather, just cooler. We'll see if that holds, but since all the snow is gone, nothing that falls would stay long anyways. My Lilies and Rhubarb are poking up from the garden beds already; they think it's spring ...

Well, I did really good on my food this week, stayed under my calorie goals every day, but one night had the munchies and ended up having a slice of wg bread with peanut butter, but hey -- it could have been a lot worse, so I'm OK with that. It was just one of those carb craving days; but last night was much better, and I just had some cheeze (my planned snack).

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #5  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Hi guys,
long time no see. I am still here but way less since I focus more on working out than losing weight now.

We are in for some snow here today. They forecast 10-20cm for Calgary. UGHH! I am so done with winter. Though I don't think I can complain, this winter was balmy and fairly ok.

I am busy, busy at work and with workouts too. I had a fun workout on Friday. We have a pro lacrosse team here in Calgary and once a year they offer a ladycrosse night where you can play lacrosse with the team. I finally dared to sign up this year! SO. MUCH. FUN!!!

I also do yoga and zumba now. And of course the ever exhausting capoeira. LOVE capoeira though! It is a dream come true!

Have a great week ladies!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #6  
Rosebud

WOW, JOSEY ~ did we miss you reaching goal? Forgive us for that!!!

to you ... and really, maintaining is just as important as losing IMHO -- I think the effort must be 50-50; and we must continue doing what we did to lose weight to keep it off (thanks to Bargoo for that piece of wisdom).

Glad you are doing so well; that dancing sounds fun, will have to look that up on the net. My brother used to play lacrosse and we would watch him sometimes; it is a fast moving game and you can sure burn the calories playing it. I used to play floor hockey, road hockey & ice hockey with my brothers & friends -- when I was much slimmer and much younger, that is.

We had a bit of the white stuff fall last night and it is cooler for sure, but we've had all day and it has all but melted now. Of course, we can't really complain since we have had unbelievable weather this year. Hope you and all our fellow Canucks have a wonderful week ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-26-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #7  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Thanks It feels great to be at goal weight.

Dancing? Are you talking Zumba? It is surprisingly fun. Don't sweat much but I was wearing my heart rate monitor last time and it does burn quite the calories. Must be at a lower but steady rate.

Just came back from yoga. So nice and relaxing. Perfect for Monday lunch breaks. And it stretches sore muscles :-)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #8  
tamIam

Josey !! Congrats!!! Goal!!
Nothin says congrats like a dancing carrot!

I must re-try that zumba! I really enjoyed it. Note to self: You enjoy Zumba. Do it!

Rosebud : Thanks for the kind words and advice about smoking!! I'm sure it will make a difference!!

I hope everyone had a GREAT weekend!! Mine was busy busy but hopefully we will have time to unwind at easter. Went for a walk today at noon and am curling tonight! Yay!
Gawd I hope it doesn't snow tonight. I would like a little more spring!
Anyways everyone take care!
Tam

Last edited by greeneggsandtam; 03-26-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Weird smiley face that I didn't mean to post.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #9  
Rosebud

JOSEY ~ I looked up some Zumba and Capoeira videos on YouTube; that Zumba looks like so much fun and can those girls shake it or what? Then I watched some Capoeira videos; boy, you have to be in shape for that -- a cross between karate & dance & gymnastics. No wonder you hit goal so fast -- wholly moly!!! The Capoeira is way beyond my physical challenges, but I think I could do a partial version of the Zumba; will try that first cuz, one thing I do have and that's rhythm baby! ...

Here's one that's particularly fun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #10  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Zumba is for everybody no matter what you weigh. It is lots of fun but mostly cardio. I absolutely recommend it for weight loss since it is rather fun than feeling like working out. There are tons of instructors all over the place, you will probably find classes close by. Though they fill up quickly. Check here http://www.zumba.com/en-US/parties/search/ or for instructors here http://www.zumba.com/en-US/instructors/search/
There is also a DVD set you can buy if you rather try it at home.
You will sweat and burn lots of calories guaranteed. We also laugh a lot while hopping around like some crazy chicks.

Capoeira is indeed very, very tough. It is a lot of strength, flexibility, cardio and burns tons of fat. I just started in January and I am a total beginner. Nothing like those guys in the videos. It is a super hard training but sooooo much fun. I always wanted to do that but never ever believed it is possible. It is! It takes years to get really, really good but that doesn't matter.
What I really like is that it is a no contact/no violence martial art. But don't even think it can't be lethal.
And...Don't those guys look super cool?

I totally got into the whole bodyweight thing. I want to be able to do pull ups, handstand, bridge, cart wheel, etc. I think it is the ultimate body control thing that makes it so tempting for me. I finally found something that is really worth working for.
That used to be my biggest problem. How do you get motivated when you are not into sports? Well, you seriously need to search and find something that you want to do. Soooo much easier to get off the couch when you have found something you like and a goal to work for.

Last edited by josey; 03-27-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #11  
tamIam

Well that does it for me! I am going to have to look up the capoeira! Sounds like fun!

Gosh we're almost to the end of the month already? Where did March go? I am going on a choir trip with thirty kids this weekend to Winnepeg. Here is a conversation with a colleague: (Facial expressions included for your reading pleasure)
Me: :"ugh...I have to plan for a sub to go on the choir trip this weekend."
Colleague: "So What?! It's CHOIRkids...How bad can they be?
Me: "I went on the choir trip in high school."
Colleague:

So there it is. My weekend. I had the thought that we would likely stay in a hotel that has a gym. I wonder if I should bring some runners and get on a treadmill? I will think about it.

Actually--with all this Zumba talk, I should mention that our little community hall in the middle of nowhere has Zumba Wednesday nights. Maybe I should go and check it out? I'll make it the thing I plan to do and then I'll have to do it. --I'll report tomorrow!

Have a Lovely Wednesday Ladies!!
Tam
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #12  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsandtam View Post
Actually--with all this Zumba talk, I should mention that our little community hall in the middle of nowhere has Zumba Wednesday nights. Maybe I should go and check it out? I'll make it the thing I plan to do and then I'll have to do it. --I'll report tomorrow!
Where are you Tam??? That's exactly why I went. Our little community hall out in the nowhere has Zumba classes Wednesday night! That's why I signed up. I had to support whatever fitness they offer!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #13  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Hi again everyone

I want to try zumba too... my step-d bought a zumba game for the wii but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Have any of you done that one? I'll have to google Capoeira.... I've never even heard of it.

We had another snow storm too but it's finally melting again... I am also DONE with winter :sigh: Even though it's been a nice one... I am done done done!

Tam - Take your runners! You'll be able to deal with the kids better if you've had a run.

Josey - Congrats at being at your goal!!!!!!

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 03-28-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #14  
Rosebud

Quote:
Tam - Take your runners! You'll be able to deal with the kids better if you've had a run.
Or, so that you can run ... away from them; or, so that you can chase them ... Just kidding. Ya, she knows how they'll be becuz she was a choirgirl once upon a day ...

HI AUNTY ~ let us know how you like that WII fit Zumba.

We had a big ***** fall during the night; Dh had to do a lot of shovelling this am, but it will likely melt if we get the they are promising for the rest of the week. It's a bit colder here right now too.

I can't complain my eating has been very good this month; I'm happy about that. Had a few carb craving days but found ways to deal with them; kept things in line though. Have a great week everyone ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #15  
tamIam

Hey Josie - We are pretty close to Saskatoon! And for the record - I didn't go. Marital discord stopped any Zumba in my corner of the world! (I hate money and all its evils- actually just a lack of it seems to be the point of the argument--I hate budgeting!) Are you in Alberta?
Good to see you AuntyJam! - I am bringing my runners for sure!!
Rosebud! - You're totally on to me! - lol I know what to look for because if it was bad I was into it!! I hope all your **** melts and we can all actually enjoy spring!

Okay ommmmmmmmm.

It is going to be one great weekend! I am going to nix the negative talk--and enjoy myself and the kids' company. So there negative Tam - It is going to be awesome and I will enjoy myself and the kids company. I am going to tell myself until we all crawl onto the bus tomorrow at 7a.m. lol

Last edited by greeneggsandtam; 03-29-2012 at 01:57 PM.