Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/305/150

Height: 5'4"

Default OptiFast 800

Hi! I am new to the forum, I hope I am posting on the correct thread.

I was wondering if anyone is on the Optifast 800 diet? I need to lose 175 lbs and have been on the Optifast diet going on my 3rd week now and have lost 20 lbs. I have not cheated, drinking water and exercising most days. I feel like my weight loss is slowing down.
Does anyone have any suggestions that has gone through this diet before?

My regime is 5 meals a day, 3 shakes, 1 bar, 1 soup. I have to drink 80-100 ounces of water, which is hard for me some days and taking 5000 steps by walking on the treadmill.

Any help would be appreciated!
Bunpeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #2  
TOY

Bunpeal, I'm not familiar with your diet per se but I can explain why you feel your weight loss is slowing down.

Generally the first week's loss is primarily excess water weight. It can range from around 2-5 pounds on a smaller person to possibly 5-8 or so on a larger (heavier) person.

Some people may scoff at that first amount lost but it's still part of the number on the scale and reason to celebrate a success. However, once that "water weight" is shed, the weekly loss generally slows considerably as sit takes long for the fat to become energy, etc.

I like to think of that initial big loss as the body's way of encouranging me to stick with it because change is a-comin'.

What is happening to your weight loss is normal. Just keep pluggin'
away and you will lose.

There are several of us who are doing WonderSlim (shakes and replacements plus one sensible meal a day). I know that's not the program you're on but if you would like to join us from some friendly support, please do. Not all of us are doing the same thing but it helps to know we're on the same road. You're more than welcome to join our conversations if you'd like.
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/198/120

Height: 5 ft

Hi! I'm new here also, Bunpeal. In fact, I registered after looking around on the site when I saw your post!

I am half-way into my second week on Optifast 800. I would LOVE to have someone to chat with about this diet!! My clinic has us on 6 products per day. I am doing 12 weeks fast, 12 week transition period. I have read that some places do 16 weeks fast, but our options were 6 weeks or 12 weeks. I am surprised you only have 5 products per day. I am starving on 6! I have 2 shakes, 2 bars, and 2 soups per day.

The biggest suggestion I can give you so far is that I have a large cup of decaf coffee with my bars, and I take very small bites of bar with each drink of coffee - this makes me full better. I miss food so much already - the soup is my favorite because it tastes the most like food. The first few days I could hardly gag it down, and now I love it!!

Toy, your program sounds interesting and similar as well. I hope I am doing this right (posting in the right place.) I look forward to having a place to come and chat with others who can relate to what I am going through!
deecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #4  

Default Replies!!

Oh yay! I am so excited for the replies! Toy I think I would like that to join your discussion. Sounds like Wonderslim might be similar to Medifast maybe?

Deecee-sounds great! I think it will definitely help to have someone to chat with through the journey.
I just moved into my 4th week on Thursday. I am doing a 14 week fast then 7 week transition. We also have weekly meetings, every three weeks I have to have labwork done and meet with the doctor to go over results.
I am doing as Toy recommended and just plugging away. I know the weight didn't get here overnight so it won't go away overnight no matter how badly I would love for it to!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #5  

Hi again, Bunpeal! (shoot, I read your first name on another post, but I have forgotten it.) What would you prefer to be called?

I am curious if you were hungry the first two weeks, and if that changed? I am hungry a lot, and I miss food a LOT! I am feeling very sad about it - and I am hoping that this passes.

I was a little bummed in class last week to hear several people talking about "cheating" last week - two of them ate lettuce salads. I have not cheated, and hope that it is possible to stick to the plan.

It sounds like your weight loss is going well - congratulations!

What are you doing for exercise? I have a pedometer, so right now I've just been trying to increase my steps. Soon I hope to buy a Wii and do the dance programs.

Hope you are doing well!! Good luck!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #6  

Either is fine to call me I like both!
Yes in answer to your question, I was VERY hungry the first two weeks and all I could think about was food. I was very bummed out too and a little angry about it. But it did pass and now I am ok with it. I mean I still miss food don't get wrong, but I keep telling myself it is only temporary and food will still be there in 14 weeks! My body adjusted slowly and I am feeling good now. About 30 minutes before a scheduled meal my stomach starts to growl and I truly get that ravenous feeling but as soon as I drink a shake It goes away. I am also very happy that I am not constantly thinking of food now!

My first class there was a woman there in her 21st week. She said she cheated and it really messed up her weight loss. She kept telling me DO NOT CHEAT while on full Optifast. It has been hard but I have not cheated. I really want this to work for me! You can do this Dee, just stick to your guns, it will get easier. I try to keep myself busy, that helps take my mind off food.

I too have a pedometer, we were told to put it on when we get up till we go to bed. The goal is to start out at 4,000 steps and work our way up to 10,000 steps. I currently am walking on a treadmill for my exercise. Today I just started to add 2 lb hand weights to that. They said to do some resistance training ( like hand weights or resistance band) once into the diet to help build lean muscle. It will help burn more calories. I like the idea of the Wii, it is a lot of fun and a good way to get exercise. I like the Wii Fit.

I have not exercised several days this week so I am concerned I haven't lost much weight!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #7  

Hi Again, April! I am relieved to hear that after two weeks you were no longer as hungry all of the time. I think the physical hunger is getting better, but the mental idea of not being able to eat is still playing with my head!

My biggest problem is that I get tired of the sweet taste so much of the time, and I would prefer something more meat and/or vegetable tasting - which is weird for me to say, because I'm not a big vegetable eater. However, the soups are the most satisfying for me. I would love to have them more than twice a day.

The pedometer guidelines are very helpful - thanks for sharing! We were told the goal is 10,000 steps per day as well, but to build up to it. There wasn't a starting point given, so when I was doing 2000+ per day I was thinking that was ok to start. I will now try to be sure I am over 4000 EVERY day, not just my GOOD days - lol. I have had about 3 days that I hit 4000, and one that I hit 5000.

I think we are supposed to do our exercises with the stretchy bands every day (yikes!) - but they told us not the first two weeks, and I have enjoyed that luxury of putting them off. Only two more days of that, though.

Have you had a problem with yo yo dieting? I have gone up and down my whole life, and I am soooo determined that this HAS to be the last time to lose the weight. I even went to an info meeting on bariatric surgery tonight - thinking that maybe that would be the extra tool I need.

I hope you had a nice day, and got your exercise in!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #8  
Losing it every day...

S/C/G: 303.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

I was on optifast for nearly a year and lost over 100 lbs. I have a genetic metabolic disease, insulin resistance, PCOS and a range of other issues, so after years of trying everything I could, it was a relief to follow such a simple plan. I did the program through my local hospital and unlike a lot of other patients in my group, I didn't mind the flavour of the shakes at all. I would add decaf instant coffee powder to the chocolate, orange extract to the chocolate, almond extract to the vanilla- lots of different calorie free options to increase the variety.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but would just caution you when it comes to the maintenance phase. Sadly, I ended up gaining back all of my weight. At the time, I hadn't fully accepted that there were medical issues that I was fighting against and although I didn't overeat, I didn't track my calories and excercise. The weight came back on really fast. Another tip, as soon as you lose your max weight on optifast, GET RID OF ALL FAT CLOTHES. When I felt my jeans getting tighter, I just pulled out an old pair the next size up, telling myself that I would hit the gym harder to go back down. It never happened and got to the point where I gave up the fight. It took me a long time to get over the failure of not having kept the weight off and to feel ready to try to lose again. I would hate for any of you to have a similar experience. There has to be a lifestyle change after the shakes. I didn't commit to one, thinking that I had beat my weight issues.

Good luck to you all. Enjoy everything optifast has to offer. I am just two months into recommitting to being healthier and once I porve to myself that I have made a change (maybe after another month) I may try optifast again, because it does work.
twish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #9  

Hi Twish! Thanks for your insight. I'm so sorry that you have to start all over - nice to know that you CAN do it though!! I hope that you find it do-able and have good success - for good this time!

I worry so much about keeping it off - but right now I have to get it off. It is so hard for me to add daily exercise to my routine. Not lack of time - I just haven't found something I enjoy.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :-)
Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #10  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

im gonna say hello and add to this...im not officially on an "optifast diet"..however i am following the guidelines in terms of he calorie count protein count fat count etc...and its hard the first week..im doing a 12 week full fast...and its mad hard!! i want to eat everything in sight!!! and the cravings...and its totally about the mental hunger....geepers!!! thank goodness for sugar free gum!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #11  

Hey Optifasters... how is the diet going?
DailyStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #12  

Wow - where did everybody go? I have been away for a few weeks, so I thought I'd have posts to catch up on. :-( Oh well - if anyone comes back - I'd love to keep up the discussion.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #13  

I am thinking of starting Optifast. I have my annual physical the 19th and will get a referral from my primary care doctor. Can anyone tell me if the shake mix has soy in it? I was on Medifast for less than one week and the soy made me so ill I had to quit. I googled the ingredients and it appears no soy but just wondered if anyone knew for sure.
carmel0798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #14  

I am not using Optifast but everybody I know that started it, was off it by the 4th week and only one gal I know of used it for a full 16 weeks, lost 75 pounds and regained all of it within less than a year. My friend this morning was just telling me that she is going to try this diet and I was coming out here to see there was any good success stories but doesn't seem like people are able to actually stay committed to this diet.
ubskinnyagain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #15  

Hi - is anyone currently doing Optifast 800? I just started last week and would love to connect with anyone who is currently on the plan.
bnr86 is offline   Reply With Quote