Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Impossible?

I want to lose around 15-20 pounds by June. I recently got out of a long (4year) relationship which was unhealthy mentally AND physically. Not that he abused me or anything, but made me eat A LOT. I didn't really notice it untill now. One of my guy friends (who is gay) kept telling me that it's one of the things that boyfriends do, try to make u fat so no one likes you. I didn't really listen to him, but now I can kind of see where he was coming from. Anyway I'm 5'7-5'8" and I weight 154.3 right now. When I signed up for this Forum this past summer I was around 150. I tried everything, exercising intensely everyday for 4 hours, different types of exercises. I tried juicing. Basically anything you can think of but nothing helped. I am now trying to keep up with a healthy diet. For some reason I've been kind of down lately. I do go hiking and walking alot, around 5 to 8 hours a week. But then I come home and PIG out. Like today after my long walk I ate 8 madelines!!(those delicious starbux cookies). WHY!!! ugh. Do you guys think its possible to lose that much by June? I've heard that it is. I just dont know where to start I feel like I've tried everything.
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

You just need to find the right fit for you. From the sounds of it, you didn't try doing something in moderation (which is much easier to keep up at) but instead chose to go the extreme route (such as exercising for FOUR hours or going on some juice diet). That is just asking for disaster.

Weight loss in most cases is very simple, not easy. Calorie counting seems to work wonders for many many people. Track what you eat, track what you burn and go that route. With so much exercise, your body needs more fuel. I hike a lot, and I am always famished during and after it. That is because my body is doing intense work (I hike up pretty steep mountain sides). You need the proper nutrition. You can't just hike for hours and hours and except a side salad to do the trick. Protein, fat and carbs fuel the body.

Do you have a smartphone? There are many amazing apps that you can use to track your calories and weight loss. I use MyNetDiary and it tells me how much to eat to lose weight depending on what exercise I did that day. If you do not have a smartphone, there are many amazing websites such as my fitness pal that you can log your daily food intake.

Weight loss is a journey, and unless you change your views on food and eating, you will either not lose the weight, or gain it all back. For your height, you are not considered overweight, so weight loss will be slow (trust me, I know how it feels. I am close to my goal weight, but still have an extremely high fat percentage so I look like I weigh way more). 20 pounds in 2 months will not be possible if done healthy. If done the unhealthy way, I can almost guarantee that you will gain it all back. A healthy goal is 1 pound a week. Focus on about 1 hour of exercise a day 5-6 days a week and make sure to eat enough!!! If you eat to little, you will actually stall and not lose weight!

You do not need to go the extreme route. It rarely works for anyone and clearly does not work for you. It is possible to lose the weight (not by June though but you will be smoking hot by then if you stick with it). Just remember that this is a lifestyle change. Slowly changing your diet makes it very easy to maintain for the rest of your life and soon enough it becomes seconds nature.

Last edited by Candeka; 03-27-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

154 at 5'7"-5'8" is in the healthy weight range and not fat. You to seem to have issue with extremes of exercise then binging, though. Just don't get stressed out enough that you think you need to lose 20 lbs because you're fat.
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

I'd recommend just eating healthily and tracking what your eating on myfitnesspal.com (have just discovered it and it's great) and make sure you don't eat too little as your body will just go into starvation mode.

As Riesz said, you aren't overweight for your height so don't go mad, but concentrate on being healthy. Maybe look at weight training exercises to help you tone up as that will make a difference, but, as Candeka said, don't go on mad 4 hour sessions as it's all a journey and not a quick fix.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Candeka: I know I know...But if I try something that's in moderation I am very impatient and WILL give up if I don't see the results in a week.

Riesz: I just feel like 135 would be perfect weight with like 4% bodyfat. Idk what percentage I am at now and I don't wanna know because its probably very bad.

Elliemar: I know everything has been telling me that, but I already don't really eat that much so would I have to eat more than I do now? I mean that sounds kind of stupid, but I'm a full time student and have a full time job, I eat a healthy breakfast, don't really get time to eat lunch but I eat a good dinner and couple of snacks in between like fruits and stuff.
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

4% body fat on women is all but impossible. Under 16 is very low, 17-19 is low and 20-28% is pretty average and healthy.

Gradual weight loss is best as you're more likely to keep it off and not regain. Try to resist putting pressure on yourself thinking "I HAVE to do this by X date or I've FAILED!" For me, that is a recipe for disaster. Eat well, moderate exercise and see where you stand. There's no one-size-fits-all diet and exercise plan so you'll probably have to play with it to find the right healthy fit for you.

ETA: A boyfriend that is worth your time doesn't make you fat so no one will like you. Sorry. That statement really bugged me. Harmful, toxic people trying to manipulate others with control tactics such as bullying with food, statements about weight/appearance, etc. Those people are immediately removed from my life. Good people will support you no matter what, whether you're in a romantic relationship or not.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 03-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

People seem to think weight loss comes from exercise when in fact the majority of weight loss comes from what you do or do not eat.

I would suggest reading the different lifestyle changes forums (I hate the word diet...) and see which one you can stick to. I have mainly done low carb diets and they all seemed to work great FOR ME.

I also agree that you are in a healthy range weight wise.. and for that reason it will take longer for you to lose anything.. My last 10 pounds were the HARDEST because I was coming close to a healthy weight range. Perhaps if you concentrate more on strength training and getting toned you will notice it more than cardio alone.

ALSO you need to rid yourself of TOXIC people..like the poster said above me. It seems like your ex BF might have pushed it into your head that your fat? Or perhaps your other friend? He seems a little toxic to me as well.

Last edited by Jonsgurl0531; 03-27-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: oops
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2011 View Post
Candeka: I know I know...But if I try something that's in moderation I am very impatient and WILL give up if I don't see the results in a week.
Your extreme methods don't work, you said that. So why wouldn't you attempt a more sustainable moderate method and give it more time? You did not gain weight over night, it will not come off over night. You can't expect immediate results (A week is not a long time in the world of weight loss).

Is it possible to lose 20lbs by June? Sure. Is it possible for you? Maybe, maybe not. Generally what I've seen is that the less you weigh, the longer it takes for the weight to come off. I think you should just focus on losing weight but don't give yourself a time frame because that is generally a thing that hurts weight loss rather than motivates.

So I think you should start with counting calories, and making sure you eat all of your calories. Make sure to adjust your calories based on your level of exercise because the more you exercise, the more calories you will need. There are plenty of ladies on this board who upped their calories from 1400 to 1700 (or a similar range) because they weren't losing weight and were exercising a lot. When they did that, they started losing weight. Eating too few will hurt your progress.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Ease your way into this and don't put time constraints on it, it'll only stress you out more.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #9  
The Future is Bright!

If you're binging, honey, it's probably because you are hungry. All of our decision making processes are chemicals in our heads. In my experience, we really don't have as much control over our brains as we think we do, and we have to plan pretty far in advance to out-smart it. Make sure you are eating plenty of healthy fats and proteins, and that you have more still readily available to eat when you are hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2011 View Post
I know I know...But if I try something that's in moderation I am very impatient and WILL give up if I don't see the results in a week.
Then forget weight loss. Don't think about it. Instead find a sport you genuinely enjoy (the enjoyment is the priority, forget about how many calories it might or might not burn) and make your goal to get better at it - you'll see results in that department more quickly. You'll get into better shape and learn to love your body at the same time

Last edited by Chain; 03-27-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #10  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

20 pounds by June 1.

70,000 calories, 65 days.

1,077 calorie daily deficit.

Those are the numbers you'd have to hit.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote