Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #1  

Default Uncontrollable itching during a walk!?

So I just experienced the oddest thing! I was taking my dog out to do his business and I noticed that it was just such a cool and nice evening, so I decided on a whim to just go walk around the neighborhood. I got about halfway through my planned walk and my legs started itching. I ignored it, but it got so bad that I was scratching while I was walking and I'm sure I looked very strange. Eventually, I had to turn around and start back home--by then, it was simply unbearable. I am serious when I say it was the worst itching I think I ever remember experiencing!! I seriously wanted to sit down in the middle of the road and scratch myself all over!!!(only on my legs, but all over both legs).

It was the strangest thing--I have never experienced this before! I didn't go very far and it wasn't a challenging walk by far, flat area. I walk on the treadmill for an hour sometimes and I've never experienced this. In fact, earlier in the day, I had done another exercise(gazelle) for 40 minutes(inside) and was completely fine. I've walked and ran this route probably 100 times!

I am a walker. I really enjoy walking, and walking fast. I don't know if it was something outside, like pollen? As soon as I got home and satiated the itching, it went away. Has anyone else ever experienced this???

I did not turn red or develop hives or anything--I was only red where I had scratched myself. I do have very sensitive skin--especially on my legs, because I shave there. My legs are not 'out of shape' by any means. What could have happened here??

Last edited by jhinako; 03-26-2012 at 07:55 PM.
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #2  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

S/C/G: 178/172/130

Height: 5'

Not sure where you live but it could have been anything from pollen (the worst the south has seen) or it could have been chiggers/no-see-ums or what ever they are called in your area. At least it has stopped!
peachypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/184.5/140

Height: 5'7"

I have that same / similar problem. For the longest time I did not know what it was either. The itching was so bad and bothered me enough that I actually quit walking for an exercise. I also had muscle spasms in my legs at the same time. Finally, it got to where my legs were tired and bothered me frequently.

I had some medical problems which led me to having to consult a vascular doctor on other issues. During that process I found out what it is.

I developed some issues with the veins in my legs and when I would go walking, the blood was not flowing through the veins in my legs like it was supposed to. The natural "back-flow" preventers in my legs weren't closing like they were supposed to, so the capillaries in my legs were filling in with too much blood when i did alot of walking - hence the extreme itching.

The vascular doctor recommended compression stockings (the little old lady medical hose) to get the blood flowing like it is supposed to. I felt really bad when I found out I needed those (I'm only 44 - not nearly a little old lady). After researching, I found out that alot of runners will actually use compression hose for that exact same reason.....to keep blood flowing at maximum capacity. Apparently there are competitive runners out there that consider those hose as important as their running shoes!

I have the kind that look like pantyhose for regular everyday wear and then a particular compression stocking made specifically to exercise with. I have no more issues with the itching, achy crazy legs.

You might want to think about getting checked out just in case. Hopefully it isn't what I have, but if it is, atleast it is an easy fix. The issue was easy to spot with an ultrasound.

Good Luck!
samanthat is offline   Reply With Quote